Steel Rain - Fulda Gap '85 Campaign Game (dannybou vs Arnhem)

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
June 12, 0600hrs (turn 15)

The second day of WWIII doesn't look good for NATO, in the Schweinfurt-Wurzburg sector, the GIs of the 3rd ID and Grenadiers of 12th Pz stand shoulder to shoulder against an entire East German army, the dawn reveals a pair of Russian TDs trying to make an end run around the defences and take Wurzburg from behind, a thin recon screen is all that stands between them and an open road into Frankfurt, the steel panthers of both divisions are racing to prevent that from happening.

In the centre of V Corps, 3rd AD and 8th ID are digging in hard and fast courtesy of a cautious WP advance, am I missing something here?

Panzergrenadiers of the 5th Pz bore the brunt of the 57th GMRD's fury just as it crossed the Fulda just south of Kassel, however, the rest of the 5th has arrived just in time to even out the odds some.

In Kassel itself is there the only bright spark of hope, the 2nd PzG seems to have seen off the 27th GMRD's attack on Kassel, roughly handling the Guards formation in the process, reports of mass surrenders of at least a regiment's worth of infantry and tanks have come in and the 2nd reports that it is firmly in control of Kassel.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Comrade, Kassel is a ........................ problem. The 27th has failed in it's conquest and has suffered horific losses. Another division is on it's way to assist but I fear will not get there in time.

In the Schweinfurt-Wurzburg sector, the East German Army, assisted by Soviet troops are progressing very well, although the M1's still prove to be superior to our own T-72s. If Wurzburg can be taken, it will permit us to swing and cut off numerous NATO units.

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
June 12, 1200hrs (turn 17)

Kassel west of the river Fulda is property of NATO again, 2 PzGD has cleared out the last remnants of the 27th GMRD. The panzergrenadiers are now poised to strike south and assist 5th Panzers.

Near Alsfeld, the 1st Bde of 3rd AD has come under attack from elements of 2 Guards TDs, the move forward has been long expected but not the ferocity of the attack, the brigade is moving to prevent itself from being enveloped but that leaves the road to Frankfurt open. Not enough units, not enough units!

West of Fulda, the 3rd Bde of 3rd AD and the 8th ID are squaring off against what looks like a TD. Neither side has really mixed it up yet, each content to probe enemy lines to look for weak spots.

In Gelnhausen, the 2nd Bde of 3rd AD is in contact with elements of the Guards Airborne Div that dropped in the area at the start of the war. The paratroopers look thinly stretched and the brigade is looking to exploit any weaknesses it can find.

In the Wurzburge-Schweinfurt area, the pair of NATO divisions here find themselves in a world of hurt after captured crossings at Kitzingen and Ochsenfurt. Pact elements are streaming across and Wurzburg itself reports tanks in the streets.

Overall the situation is critical, what local successes I've had are being overshadowed by the critical situations developing at Alsfeld and Wurzburg. Reinforcements are days away and airpower is stretched thin, looks like I'm in a for a bloody nose, I just have to make sure I bloody my opponent's as badly. :D

Arnhem

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Quick update here as I didn't record details of my last turn.

The red tide has swamped Wurzburg, am falling back under the onslaught of at least 4 Divs, 2 of which are TDs. I have a slight qualitive edge but am defintely on the losing end of the numbers game, stand and fight or sting and run?

In the north, I have some semblance of order, the West Germans are beginning to assert themselves and are actually advancing against the shattered remnants of 2 Guards Divs.

The situation is one of near parity in the middle, both sides have almost simliar strengths and are slogging it out.

Will update on next turn.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Northern sector is a mess for the Reds. I ordered our artillery to use chemical weapons in order to disrupt and move NATO units out of their positions. That will give them something to think about. Now there will be a retaliation in kind I'm sure.

The central sector is at a crossroads. I am attempting to encircle US forces and cut off their retreat. Time will tell.

In the southern sector, things are looking good. I am overunning cities and capturing targets. The East Germans are fighting like I expected. Holding the US forces in place while a large pincer movement is taking place.

One thing: I hate M1's!!!!!!!!!!!!