Steel Panthers World At War v8.0 Available

SgtRock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For all of you new to Wargaming or old dedicated fans of it. Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) has release a complete new release version of Steel Panthers World at War v8.0. The game is totally free.

:toast:

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would you believe I've never played SPWAW?! And I call myself a wargamer, eh? It's just that I'm not much for armor-only type games. Also, once I got into Close Combat and TOAW, I was set. I do wish I had downloaded it before it became so huge; it'd take me a full week to get it now.

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More like back to dial-up. I had cable for a couple of years before I moved; now I'm staying with an uncle until I can get my own place, and I've been unable to talk him into the high-speed 'Net world.

I've had TOAW since it came out, and have probably played at least a couple of turns on all the scenarios that came with it. My faves are the Korean ones, and, of course, the Gulf War. I've not tried Europe Aflame yet, but I've heard lots of people talk about it. Guess I should download it, eh? What others would you recommend?

John Welch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! It is certainly nice to see Steel Panthers continue to attract wargamers. In the summer of 1995, I was contacted by Dave Landrey (then of Novastar Game Company) to work on scenarios for the original game. It was a terrific summer of research and work with several quite buggy beta's. As an avocation (my occupation is teacher and college professor), it was a great first experience in the computer game business and when Steel Panthers won Wargame of the Year in 1996, I had a real sense of accomplishment having done more than half of the scenarios on the original release.
Given how quickly computer games fade from the shelves (and from memory), I salute Matrix for keeping this great 'old' wargame alive.