Status Update

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the question was asked during the ramp up for release and it was either Moon or Steve that said shipping would not start until the download was available (paraphrasing).
I think you have this backwards. The download version is always ready before the shipped version because the shipped version is, essentially, the same as the download version. I think you meant, the download version will not be made available until the hard copy versions are ready to ship.

I'm not sure that will be the case but thought I would clarify what you said.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not stupid...I know how the software industry works. I am saying that Moon stated that they wouldn't allow downloads until everything was ready to ship physical copies.

Don't you remember the whining on release of people that felt that download shouldn't have started until people who preordered physiical copies started getting their copies.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not stupid...I know how the software industry works. I am saying that Moon stated that they wouldn't allow downloads until everything was ready to ship physical copies.
I wasn't calling you stupid. You just said that "the shipping would not start until the download was available". I was just clarifying that the download version is available before the shipped version are even made. I assumed you made a typo. And what you just typed isn't what you said in the post I quoted. Reread your initial post.

Don't you remember the whining on release of people that felt that download shouldn't have started until people who pre-ordered physical copies started getting their copies.
I thought you said this isn't how things went down before?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update:

Time for another update!

As is often the case the plethora of little loose ends is taking longer to close up than we expected. The good news, however, is we're at the point of diminishing returns and that means we're at Release Candidate stage (aka Final Candidate) and nearly finished with it. Which means we'll be moving onto Gold Master, which then means release comes next.

Crushing of the last sorta-significant bugs (the big ones were taken care of already) has come at a slight expense to getting the Demo build ready, but that should be coming along very soon. No, not tonight or this weekend as releasing anything during the weekend isn't good for a number of reasons.

Until we've approved the final Gold Master we won't announce a ship date. I know you guys will speculate on when that date will be, and you might accurately guess our planned date (which was set 3 weeks ago and we still think we'll hit), but until we say it's going to happen people need to take customer predictions with a pound of salt

Thanks for your patience... we're nearly there!

Steve
Oh well. That just means more time for me to spend with Frozen Synapse and the Panzer Command: Ostfront demo. :)

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Where I come from, around the end of April is before the start of May! The beginning of May, is, er well...... I think it will be safe to say that it will be out this summer. I also think that we will see it this month. One would hope that the Beta Testers will have gotten it right this time. The trouble with a closed system though is that sometimes those within it honestly think everything is OK.

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I know you guys will speculate on when that date will be, and you might accurately guess our planned date (which was set 3 weeks ago and we still think we'll hit), but until we say it's going to happen people need to take customer predictions with a pound of salt.
You can say what you want about BFC, but the fact that they can get away with such hubris speaks volumes about the lack of competition they face.

I've been taking a look at PCO. Not too impressed, neither by the game itself nor by the total lack of excitement about it. I think it's being discussed more here than in its dedicated forum, or the Matrix one for that matter.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
You can say what you want about BFC, but the fact that they can get away with such hubris speaks volumes about the lack of competition they face.

I've been taking a look at PCO. Not too impressed, neither by the game itself nor by the total lack of excitement about it. I think it's being discussed more here than in its dedicated forum, or the Matrix one for that matter.
For goodness sake! the PCO demo has only just been released. You won't get massed crowds commenting on the game because as mentioned here a few times, wargaming is a niche market. I visited the Matrix message board and the only negative comment I saw was one person saying there was too much grass! But like I say, give it time and then read the comments. This should also apply to the CMN demo when it comes out.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You don't come from where the guys who wrote it come from :)

However, I do and it will shortly fall out of that range for me too.
True enough, but Im sure it will be here before Xmas......

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Tell you what, try the demo scenario. Not the tutorial scenario; the Demo Scenario. Then we can talk PCO.

Let's don't go down the road of the discussions where one side has played the game and the other side hasn't. Elvis can tell you how valuable those discussions generally are.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I still don't understand why Steve resorts to stuff like this:

and you might accurately guess our planned date (which was set 3 weeks ago and we still think we'll hit),
Who cares? If you're not going to reveal it in open forum, it doesn't matter. No one's keeping score, and as dalem points out, their word really isn't good after having said it would be out "without doubt" in 2009. Among other things they've promised in the past.

I don't care one way or another about their deadlines, but smug assertions that they are meeting their deadlines - without revealing them - is just more used car salesman snake oil. It rubs the wrong way - doesn't he realize that yet?

Hit your deadline or don't, it doesn't matter to anyone but you, Steve. If you really want to impress us - state it up front, then hit it. The rest of it is just double-talk.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Who cares? If you're not going to reveal it in open forum, it doesn't matter. No one's keeping score, and as dalem points out, their word really isn't good after having said it would be out "without doubt" in 2009. Among other things they've promised in the past.

I don't care one way or another about their deadlines, but smug assertions that they are meeting their deadlines - without revealing them - is just more used car salesman snake oil. It rubs the wrong way - doesn't he realize that yet?

Hit your deadline or don't, it doesn't matter to anyone but you, Steve. If you really want to impress us - state it up front, then hit it. The rest of it is just double-talk.
No, he doesn't realize that yet. He can't, and he never will, because it's not in his nature to believe that the customer is anything but a 100% passive receptor at all times for all things. Hence the constant strutting.

Also, I think part of it has to do with misunderstanding the nature of the internet - the immediacy of effect and the permanence of information.

-dale

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Of course it would/might be far more impressive if this was Steve's first prediction about the release date.

On his initial prediction he was off by a factor of two....years.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

their word really isn't good after having said it would be out "without doubt" in 2009. Among other things they've promised in the past.
Not that it alters your point but this is said enough where from time to time I have to remind (or be reminded if someone has a quote I am forgetting) that the quote your mention said something like "it could be done in 2009 but we want to take some time off during the holidays". You may be confusing it with his quote that it would definitely be out in 2010. Both, obviously, were wrong.