Status Update

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hot off the presses:

Just to let you know things are rolling along nicely (if all the activity from us wasn't a hint
) and we are nearly there. We don't want to jinx ourselves with an exact date, but roughly speaking here's where we are at:

1. Manuals are at the printers and should be back at the end of next week.

2. We have everything we need for the Demo, but we're still in the process of making/testing the special Demo EXE/App for the PC/Mac Demos.

3. With the next build for the testers will be officially be in the Final Candidate stage of testing. This is after Beta but before Gold Master. Final Candidate is to catch any glaring rough edges, like a missing graphic or what not. We're "done" making significant code changes so we won't risk introducing new issues into the gameplay. We're actually NEVER really "done", but if we don't think that way then you'll never get to play the darned thing

So... that's where we stand. For those of you trying to project a ship date... here's a hint. It won't be this coming Friday, that's for sure. How soon could it be? Depends on how Final Candidate and Gold Master testing go, as well as the manuals being ready and other standard variables.

Steve

P.S. Bone -> there are three scenarios for the Demo. One attack as Germans, one attack as Americans, one Tutorial as Americans. The latter is designed to give newbies a "cake walk" scenario to learn how to play the game before diving into the other two battles. It's an adaptation from the longer Tutorial included in the game itself.
I hate being teased like this. :) Since the manuals won't be back from the printers before next Friday, and they still have to work through a final release candidate and gold master, figure May 16 for release?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they aren't even gold yet, you may be talking end of May. Since they actually doing DVD's it'll take a week after gold to start pumping out discs and then another week to package and ship.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What happens to the pre-order people who bought and paid for the game already? If I was pre-ordering and found out that end of April suddenly turned I to maybe June or July I wouldn't be a happy bear.

However, from my standpoint, I'll still be here when it comes along, after all this is the game that would definitely be out in 2009!

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What happens to the pre-order people who bought and paid for the game already? If I was pre-ordering and found out that end of April suddenly turned I to maybe June or July I wouldn't be a happy bear.

However, from my standpoint, I'll still be here when it comes along, after all this is the game that would definitely be out in 2009!
Hell, they'll probably preorder a few more times. :)

-dale

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Well at least they're communicating and it's not about another 6 to 12 months worth of delay. Can't complain too much I think.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they aren't even gold yet, you may be talking end of May. Since they actually doing DVD's it'll take a week after gold to start pumping out discs and then another week to package and ship.
This might be the case and I have no inside information on this. However, with the other CMx2 titles when the game went Gold the digital version becomes available very quickly. And then the CDs get shipped as soon as they are done being pressed. I'm only saying how previous releases have gone and am not the slightest bit privy to the mechanics of this release.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In CMSF, downloads did not become available until shipping started. And that is what I am sayng above, it's mid-May at the earliest for downloads, more likely end of May.

Wasn't there an offer of a bet that it ouwldn't be June this year for CMBN. I think most of us laughed that it would extend thid far out.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In CMSF, downloads did not become available until shipping started. And that is what I am sayng above, it's mid-May at the earliest for downloads, more likely end of May.

Wasn't there an offer of a bet that it ouwldn't be June this year for CMBN. I think most of us laughed that it would extend thid far out.
I do remember that some guys were bemoaning that they hadn't received their disks weeks after I downloaded the game. If I remember they started the downloads about the time they shipped. Everyone who pre-ordered can download anyway....

However, I did expect to be playing the thing by now. Ive had almost 2 weeks off work as well. It better not be June as Im on a 2 week exercise then!

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya sure about that? For you to know that at some point a message from BFC would have to had gone out saying that the game had gone Gold and was being sent to the CD presses and that they were going to hold back the digital release until the discs were pressed. I've been wrong with these years old memories before and there's no doubt I could be wrong now. Maybe because of how the Marines, Brits , NATO and Afghan went I've forgotten how the initial release went.

Dorsosh started this thread: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?98891-Double-or-nothing-time-Elvis I have played along as if dalem had agreed on the bet even though he never did. Even so I will certainly send him another case of beer if it isn't out by the end of June and will not expect one from him if it is out before then.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No need. Last year your claim of it being ready for a 2010 release was clearly ridiculous on its face. As of now, with the BFC-generated hubbub, I certainly believe that they believe they are within a few months of release at most.

What actually happens remains to be seen.

-dale

BlitzCanuck

Pretend Command Sgt. Maj.
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was hoping the demo would be out by today. GWJs said this week - only two days left!
Steve from Battlefront said last week that they had everything they needed for the demo except to test something.
It's possible we might see the demo before the week is over but i'm not holding my breath.
Supposedly the demo for PCO is going to be available tomorrow so at least i'll have something to mess around with this weekend.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Supposedly the demo for PCO is going to be available tomorrow so at least i'll have something to mess around with this weekend.
That's good to know. After watching Mobius' videos, I am really interested in giving PCO a try. It should make for a nice East Front bookend to CMBN's West Front. :)

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S
Aw, damn. I may have to cheat and try it. I promised myself I wouldn't play anything else in my limited gaming time until CMBN was done...... Poor Dragon Age II got 2 days of play before it started collecting dust because of that promise............... I would only be cheating on myself though, right? So that's not really cheating at all, is it?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the question was asked during the ramp up for release and it was either Moon or Steve that said shipping would not start until the download was available (paraphrasing).

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, some Beta tester is claiming that testers haven't even got the final game yet and so I wouldn't be holding any breath for a Demo today. No worries, gives me more time to enjoy the great outdoors.