Status of Peleliu HASL

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another vote here for the red hex IDs needing to go away.

What are they grey-on-black squiggly things? They don't seem to be Gullies...

And while I'm at it, what is the terrain in QQ10 (the hex 2 hexes below the 3-hex Kunai in the middle right?, that looks kinda horizontally rasterized?)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think the grey-on-black is built-in trenches. I have no idea what the other is. It may be one of everything, i.e. tutti-fruitti terrain.

JR

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks awesome and I can't wait to put this one one the table. Something about the red hex numbers bugs me though...
This is just the playtest map, folks. I most likely will not be using any red hex designations. It will most likely be either white or black. I won't be able to make a final determination until I start working on the final production map.

Rick

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

And while I'm at it, what is the terrain in QQ10 (the hex 2 hexes below the 3-hex Kunai in the middle right?, that looks kinda horizontally rasterized?)
The grey on black squiggly things are deep crevices or fissures. Act like juiced up crags. The rasterized image is representing bamboo. I'd be open to suggestions on how to natively represent both of these terrain types on a final map.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I don't know about the cracks, but unless you want to have both Brush and Bamboo on the same map then why not keep to the existing convention of Brush=Bamboo. KISS?

EDIT: The bird's breakfast seems fine for the cracks, not easily mistaken for anything else. Maybe make them a little thinner is about the only modification I might suggest.

Last edited:

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about the cracks, but unless you want to have both Brush and Bamboo on the same map then why not keep to the existing convention of Brush=Bamboo. KISS?

EDIT: The bird's breakfast seems fine for the cracks, not easily mistaken for anything else. Maybe make them a little thinner is about the only modification I might suggest.
Since bamboo is inherent as opposed to brush, I was thinking of a terrain representation that filled the entire hex other than brush.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did play testing on the beach landing scenario for this years ago and only remember the beach/airfield portion of the islands on the map. Is the entire island going to be mapped? Is the northern island of Ngesebus going to be included with the assault to take the airfield there?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Corregidor is in the playtest pipeline here with my group and first testing is tonight! Early war and a paradrop in high winds(!) on a HASL map will prove interesting, and I am sure--fun!!!

that drop has to be The Craziest paradrop Ever. those troopers has extra big'ns. Dispatches from the Bunker has an interesting scenario too. cool to see it in HASL

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did play testing on the beach landing scenario for this years ago and only remember the beach/airfield portion of the islands on the map. Is the entire island going to be mapped? Is the northern island of Ngesebus going to be included with the assault to take the airfield there?
The entire island will not be mapped. There is a Ngesebus scenario but it utilizes geo boards. The overall map makes up probably 40% of the overall land mass of Peleliu, encompassing the area of the island where the majority of the fighting took place (landing beaches, airfield, Umurbrogol Mountains). There are scenarios that take place outside of this area, but are done on geos.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

EDIT: The bird's breakfast seems fine for the cracks, not easily mistaken for anything else. Maybe make them a little thinner is about the only modification I might suggest
The "brush" represents what was called "jungle scrub" terrain....tall grasses, smaller trees and bushes, thorny things that make one say "o8sdabksbdwqy8hfueu#bw87" when you bump into it. So, using the old standard "brush is bamboo" would not work on this HASL map since there is also bamboo. The squigglies are crevices, anywhere from one to a few meters deep and perhaps 2 - 5 meters wide. Not sure why you would want them "thinner" except for perhaps esthetics....they worked well during playtests. Thanks for the .commentsThere are other terrain types including mangrove swamp....so new graphics were needed.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
that drop has to be The Craziest paradrop Ever. those troopers has extra big'ns. Dispatches from the Bunker has an interesting scenario too. cool to see it in HASL
Had to come up with some modifications to reflect jumping out at 400 feet and less in winds gusting 25 - 30mph.
In reality the paras hit the silk immediately after exiting the gooney birds and hit the ground about 1 - 3 seconds later. Almost 70% had some injuries. Only those with broken legs/arms, in shock, impaled by broken tree limbs, or were killed were permitted to be listed as "unfit for combat". Everyone else (sprains, small fractures, gashes) who could walk and carry a rifle went into action immediately. Under normal circumstances less than 1/2 of the paras would have been put into action after landing in similar circumstances.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Already having Heavy Nasty Brush as well as Bamboo does require a new graphic, I wondered if that was the case. The Crevices were quite distinct and functional, just I thought a bit ugly, purely aesthetics, nothing more. Thanks for the explanations.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
they did. Consider it an appetizer to the main course which BFP is cooking up :)

It covers a small section of the battle, a part of the first day's action for the 1st Marine Regiment. It is a very good and fun product for what it is, but obviously BFP's will be the definitive and more complete product regarding the battle as a whole.
yeah, I think BFP's version will be much better.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Those black and grey squiggly things could also represent giant alien space worms, so you could use the Peleliu map to play "Dune" as well....two-for-one bargain. Sorry, couldn't resist. Love Tom's technical terminology....squiggly things.....

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Those black and grey squiggly things could also represent giant alien space worms, so you could use the Peleliu map to play "Dune" as well....two-for-one bargain. Sorry, couldn't resist. Love Tom's technical terminology....squiggly things.....
See ... NOW I gotta buy this

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a section of the BFP Peleliu map that covers the map section above. This covers probably about a sixth of the total map size for this project.
I'm in love!
To clarify, with the map!

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, then...

When is Peleliu going to be available?
Man, no rest for the weary. Just usher Corrs out the door and it's all, 'ok, what have you done for me lately?' Where the **** is Peleliu?!

Patience will be required, grasshopper. I am currently feverishly working on getting the graphics and artwork for Onslaught to Orsha finished so that we can release that this year. Next up in the pipeline will probably be a nice small HASL by Dave Lamb covering the British crossing of the Seine at Vernon, France. (1 map, CG, 8 scenarios). Recon By Fire is also in the near term pipeline if we can get all of the articles lined up for it. THEN I will need to get cracking on Peleliu. Sarge and I will need to be tied at the hip on that puppy. This one is going to require a sh*t-ton of work on all of the map design, rules, and counter artwork that will be required. Think Corrs times 10.