Status of Peleliu HASL

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A question for the BFP gang :)

Any news, teasers (maps especially) about the Peleliu HASL that is in the work ?

Last news were:

"The map will depict the Umurbrogul Mountains in the center of the island, the airfield and landing beaches, and part of the southern portion of the island south of the airfield. All put together the map will be about 3 feet by 4.5 - 5 feet. One CG will depict the landings and first ten days to take the airfield and southern tip of Bloody Nose Ridge. Second CG will depict clearing out the Japanese from their redoubt in the mountains. I am currently going through the initial PT of CG II now. MArines are almost done for. Japanese are just hanging on, and in one more day the US Army takes over the battle. Look for something like 16 HASL map scenarios and another dozen geo board scenz depicting action just off the HASL map and on Ngesbus and Angaur Islands."

Just curious of the state it has reached as it is on my watch list.

Thanks

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Its being playtested at the moment. I hope I'm allowed to say that.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I'm interested in this too since I didn't get the CH Peleliu in anticipation of this one coming out. I can wait though, plenty of other stuff....

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This HASL is in playtest presently. Expect in the neighborhood of 2-3 dozen scenarios when it is all said and done and 3 CGs. Probably a couple of years before it is polished to the level of quality we expect of ourselves. Will it be worth the wait for you PTO fanatics? From what I've seen to date, oh yeah.

Rick

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This HASL is in playtest presently. Expect in the neighborhood of 2-3 dozen scenarios when it is all said and done and 3 CGs. Probably a couple of years before it is polished to the level of quality we expect of ourselves. Will it be worth the wait for you PTO fanatics? From what I've seen to date, oh yeah.

Rick
Thanks Rick !

No sneak peak at the Umurbrogol yet then :cry:

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Rick
Exciting!! Ready for preorder if the price is right!!:)

Best Regards,:salute:
John

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm really, REALLY looking forward to this. In large part because
Yes, I'm interested in this too since I didn't get the CH Peleliu in anticipation of this one coming out. I can wait though, plenty of other stuff....
if BFP's treatment of this is as much fun as CH's was (though CH's was child's play in scope compared to what it sounds like BFP is doing with this :) ) then this will be a must have product. I'm sure it will, thus the excitement. CH's is a good product, but could have been much better with a bit of expansion in regards to playing area. It's large scenario however was probably the most fun we had with any scenario this last year. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The map, which I have seen, is actually about 3 1/2 ft by 7 ft. Its huge! It is a great map even if it is a lot more 'open' then I thought it would be.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, this does sound interesting. I would imagine a lot of cave work in this one.
The map, which I have seen, is actually about 3 1/2 ft by 7 ft. Its huge! It is a great map even if it is a lot more 'open' then I thought it would be.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That is too large. I have a big table but that would not even come close to fitting on it.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
wow! I think I just scratched the underside of the table.

Impressive.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is too large. I have a big table but that would not even come close to fitting on it.
indeed. When Tyrant's Lair was released I decided to get creative due to the interesting 'L' shape of the 4 map CG.

Modular is a way to go. If one is going to throw serious money at board games, at pricey counter storage, why settle when it comes to tables. :) My wife suggested checking IKEA and sure enough I found something perfect. 2 of these will handle anything ASL can throw at us (at the moment at least lol) and be configured in various arrangements and easily stored if one needed to. Not that particularly expensive and obviously can be bought as one's budget allows. I was looking at getting a few more since it appears Ray is going to go nuts with Normandy maps lol

If interested Vinnie, check out the Norden series tables from IKEA.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The current playtest version of the map is divided into three mapsheets. Assuming the final print will follow this pattern, you would need the center mapsheet and the southern mapsheet to play the first ten scenarios and CGI. The rest of the HASL map scenarios and CGII wil use the part of the center mapsheet and the northern mapsheet. Only CGIII will use all three mapsheets at the same time. So you can play about 95% of the HASL stuff and of course, all the geo board stuff, on a standard game table. The board I place on my game table is about 3.5 feet by 5 feet, and two mapsheets fit on it perfectly. Most of the HASL map scenarios use only one mapsheet at a time, so you could even get away with any game table 2.5 feet by 3.5 feet and have room for your scenario card, dice cups, IFT charts, note pads...oh, and your loaded .45 ACP M1911....just i case your opponent's dice get "hot" and you need to convince him to select another set prior to his next DR.
CGI has gone through two full playtests and is in the middle of a third. CGII has completed one playtest with a second coming up very soon (completing CoS took priority last summer). CGIII will begin playtesting this June. The individual scenarios themselves are coming along quite nicely. Most have had several playtests already.
You will also get the chance to use the FT LVT from Blood and Jungle in a couple of the scenarios since this vehicle was field modified and first used on Peleliu.
Samples from the pronunciation guide.....
Peleliu - just say "the Loo". Eliminates variances in dialects and prevents you from accidently biting your tongue.
Umurbroguls - "the Broguls"...same as above. Bleeding tongues tend to distract one's concentration during play.
Palau Islands - "Paul's place"...named after my oldest son...a US Navy man!
Hope that helps. :)

Sarge

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Sarge I hope I did not give more away than I should have done.....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't CH just do a Peleliu expansion?
Ya CH! did one, played a couple of scenarios from it and thought they were fun. Here Come the Japs was a total hoot. Anyway, I look forward to BFP's version too which I'm sure will be just as good. Remember boys and girls, veriety is the spice of life lol.

Scott

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't CH just do a Peleliu expansion?
they did. Consider it an appetizer to the main course which BFP is cooking up :)

It covers a small section of the battle, a part of the first day's action for the 1st Marine Regiment. It is a very good and fun product for what it is, but obviously BFP's will be the definitive and more complete product regarding the battle as a whole.