Status of Peleliu HASL

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know this is an old thread but any updates on this? I realize PIF took a lot of time so I can see BFP was focused on that. Ever since I saw that map I've been very anxious about where the project is at. B&J is so good I'm looking for more great PTO from BFP.
I too await this HASL release from Bounding Fire!

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, since this project is one of those under my direction I suppose I should be the one to respond.

As of now, playtesting is still in progress on several scenarios. There are currently 30+, with about half on the HASL map and half on geo boards depicting actions just off the map or on nearby Angaur Island. We just added another playtest group to our fold and they are delving into the project with vigor. I made some minor revisions to the HASL map based upon recently released photos of Peleliu during/after the battle. There are three CG's. I've personally played them all and am quite satisfied with the final results. All of the scenarios have been vetted through a minimum of five or more playtests each by several groups....some with as many as fifteen playings.
Currently, Peleliu is in the production queue but it is behind Huertgen, and Corregidor as far as our HASL products are concerned. It has come down to deciding how many counters we will need to print up for this one, what types, and the proper mix. One of the major sticking points is whether or not to require ownership of BRT to play this. If so ,far fewer counters will be required to be printed. If not, then far more counters will be needed. If things continue to progress as they have, I would expect this product to be ready for pre-sell by early 2017. I wish I could say sooner, but logistics and reality have a way of impeding things.
I am in need of a couple people to proof the rules....besides me. Any volunteers in this area will be most welcomed.
As far as the actual product is concerned, I feel players will enjoy this one a lot. The variety of scenarios from small tourney size to a couple monster scenarios will meet everyone's taste. Seaborne Assaults, air support, NOBA, Night actions, severe weather (when is the last time you played a scenario with Heavy Winds and Rain?). And this one is not all Japanese in caves and US Marines digging them out. There are many with the Japanese as the Attacker.. There are several actions with the US Army's 81st Infantry Division on Angaur and Peleliu. You'll get to use those LVT FT vehicles from Blood and Jungle. A special "underlay" depicting the 1000 man cave and the Marines' attempt to clear it. And if things go well, an extensive and detailed article on Caves including how to attack them with infantry, OBA, Air Support, NOBA, etc will also be included. As events dictate, I will post progress reports on this product. Stay tuned. Thanks for the interest.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, since this project is one of those under my direction I suppose I should be the one to respond.

As of now, playtesting is still in progress on several scenarios. There are currently 30+, with about half on the HASL map and half on geo boards depicting actions just off the map or on nearby Angaur Island. We just added another playtest group to our fold and they are delving into the project with vigor. I made some minor revisions to the HASL map based upon recently released photos of Peleliu during/after the battle. There are three CG's. I've personally played them all and am quite satisfied with the final results. All of the scenarios have been vetted through a minimum of five or more playtests each by several groups....some with as many as fifteen playings.
Currently, Peleliu is in the production queue but it is behind Huertgen, and Corregidor as far as our HASL products are concerned. It has come down to deciding how many counters we will need to print up for this one, what types, and the proper mix. One of the major sticking points is whether or not to require ownership of BRT to play this. If so ,far fewer counters will be required to be printed. If not, then far more counters will be needed. If things continue to progress as they have, I would expect this product to be ready for pre-sell by early 2017. I wish I could say sooner, but logistics and reality have a way of impeding things.
I am in need of a couple people to proof the rules....besides me. Any volunteers in this area will be most welcomed.
As far as the actual product is concerned, I feel players will enjoy this one a lot. The variety of scenarios from small tourney size to a couple monster scenarios will meet everyone's taste. Seaborne Assaults, air support, NOBA, Night actions, severe weather (when is the last time you played a scenario with Heavy Winds and Rain?). And this one is not all Japanese in caves and US Marines digging them out. There are many with the Japanese as the Attacker.. There are several actions with the US Army's 81st Infantry Division on Angaur and Peleliu. You'll get to use those LVT FT vehicles from Blood and Jungle. A special "underlay" depicting the 1000 man cave and the Marines' attempt to clear it. And if things go well, an extensive and detailed article on Caves including how to attack them with infantry, OBA, Air Support, NOBA, etc will also be included. As events dictate, I will post progress reports on this product. Stay tuned. Thanks for the interest.
Very nice informative update. Just my two cents worth , I would suggest printing the extra counters as a lot of players do not have Tarawa, and it would save all the " what other products do I need to play this pack" and the likestjen there will also be the what's the point of buying this if I need an OOP product to play some of it. Just saying.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Very nice informative update. Just my two cents worth , I would suggest printing the extra counters as a lot of players do not have Tarawa, and it would save all the " what other products do I need to play this pack" and the likestjen there will also be the what's the point of buying this if I need an OOP product to play some of it. Just saying.
Would it be an approach to publish two variants? One with more counters (for those lacking Tarawa), one with less?
The printer will probably not care which number of what type of sheet he prints, so there could be more of the "needed in all cases"-sheets and less of the "for guys missing Tarawa" sheets.

So far all BFP publications (or shall I say modules :D) have gone out of print eventually - or have a good chance to eventually do.
Which means right after publications, customers can choose what suits them best. Whatever version is "left over" will still go out of print eventually, which might cover the risk of publishing two different versions.

von Marwitz

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
David
Thanks for the update and looking forward to this HASL/modual.
Dave

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I absolutely agree with this. Although I have BRT, I think this peleliu module will have limited appeal if it is dependent on ownership of BRT. Thank you very much for the detailed update.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all the comments. I too am leaning towards us printing whatever counters are needed to play rather than this HASL rather than requiring ownership of a previous HASL. It may be as simple as printing "1st Mar. Div." on the counters to avoid copyright issues. I'll leave the legal stuff to Chas and his attorneys.

Before I forget, a huge THANK YOU to those who have so graciously volunteered to proof the rules set. I will be getting in touch with all three of you very soon via Private email here on the GS ASL Forums. As long as you all have an email addy listed in your Profile I can send the stuff as an email attachment.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
BRT contained 668 squads but if I'm not mistaken Peleliu is eligible for 768 squads.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

ASL Sarge:
Nice to hear this is in the pipeline, even if a little way off. I vote for putting the counters needed in too, for accessibility to your product.

On content, curious if you've made use of the following publication from the Marine Corps Historical Center in Quantico: "Among Heroes: A Marine Corps Rifle Company on Peleliu"?
First hand document of Marines right at the end of their rope, with almost no strength left.
Some of the intro comments made for some eye-opening reading about some legends - like that Peleliu wasn't necessarily Chesty Puller's finest hour. A lot of negative on Rupertus.
I can understand how the USMC would have had a permanent grudge ever after toward MacArthur, and suspect that directly entered into perspectives, decisions, and actions by Marines in Korea 6 years later at Chosin.
I picked it up free when I visited there last summer - they were in the process of moving and reorganizing.

Kind of amazing the stuff you can get for free there - even hardbound - picked up a coffee table size book on Marine Corps in Korea.

Think the Peleliu episodes were the best of the Pacific series - the Stonewall Jackson quote exchange by a northerner and to a southerner being one of the best scenes of the whole series.

Interesting to consider that Peleliu is happening at the same time as Market-Garden on the other side of the world.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will say that of all of the releases or soon to be releases coming, Peleliu & Kohima are the 2 that I most looking forward to. By a long shot.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will say that of all of the releases or soon to be releases coming, Peleliu & Kohima are the 2 that I most looking forward to. By a long shot.
Ditto

Between these two and a re-release of Blood and Jungle, my PTO binge could cause me to forget how to use a T-34. Unfortunately, the recent 'news' on the status of Kohima is not very encouraging. :(

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ditto

Between these two and a re-release of Blood and Jungle, my PTO binge could cause me to forget how to use a T-34. Unfortunately, the recent 'news' on the status of Kohima is not very encouraging. :(

PT is still well under way.CG2 is going through another round as well as some of the HASL scenarios. This game is being worked on and i truly think that it will see the light of day. Maybe, 2017 ?!?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PT is still well under way.CG2 is going through another round as well as some of the HASL scenarios. This game is being worked on and i truly think that it will see the light of day. Maybe, 2017 ?!?
I certainly hope so. Sarge and I have been working the map hard, getting it into a more historically representative state. It's looking good. Hope to start working on the final production version soon.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I certainly hope so. Sarge and I have been working the map hard, getting it into a more historically representative state. It's looking good. Hope to start working on the final production version soon.
Any pictures? People love maps....

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just interested if there is an update on this. Nice to see B&J reprinted its one of the best modules I own thanks!