Status of Peleliu HASL

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can tell you that while the CH loo product was nice, the BFP product will BLOW you away! Sarge and Randy have nearly eight years into the development (combined). The maps are awesome, scenarios are real ball breakers for both sides. This product will truly test your mettle as a Pacific Theatre gamer!

It'll be well worth the wait!

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This product will truly test your mettle as a Pacific Theatre gamer!

It'll be well worth the wait!
Music to my ears :laugh: 'Baby Peleliu' was challenging enough. Most fun I think I've had in the PTO for ASL. It had all the elements in it's large 'campaign' scenario that make the PTO challenging and fun. Seaborne assaults, NOBA out the behind, bug hunting once you get off the beach, caves and HIP fortifications, and to top it off even trying to get that crappy Japanese armor to survive for a couple of turns once they launched the counterattack :laugh: I look forward to all that done exponentially with the larger scale product. :)

Wow. It will hard to wait, but understandable enough considering everything you all are doing with this. I really can't wait to see it. I hope everything goes well with developing and playtesting it!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam T,

Saw your post on Facebook concerning Peleliu and since I'm not much of a FBer, I'll post here.

This is the HASL that I've been anticipating the most since Valor of the Guards way back when I played it from On All Fronts. I want it more than even Festung Budapest. It's alway intrigued me since reading With The Old Breed years ago then rereading it before The Pacific was released on DVD.

I'm also really glad that Peleliu is going to get the BFP treatment it deserves. Can't freaking wait.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam T,

Saw your post on Facebook concerning Peleliu and since I'm not much of a FBer, I'll post here.

This is the HASL that I've been anticipating the most since Valor of the Guards way back when I played it from On All Fronts. I want it more than even Festung Budapest. It's alway intrigued me since reading With The Old Breed years ago then rereading it before The Pacific was released on DVD.

I'm also really glad that Peleliu is going to get the BFP treatment it deserves. Can't freaking wait.
I have to say AMEN to that!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will CGIII be a full OOB, of the whole campaign, similar to Blood Reef Tarawa that has every unit that fought at Tarawa? If I remember correctly, Peleliu had 6-level deep caves, with kitchens and barracks and stuff. Maybe there will be a SSR for unearthing Amelia Eearhart's bones :)

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We do indeed have a scenario depicting the action to take this large cave/complex. Located in the northern part of the island, at first the marines thought it to be a large phosphate mine. Numerous entrances and air vents, room inside for 500 - 800 men. Contained kitchens, an infirmary/hospital, sleeping quarters and storage for food, water and supplies. The cave/complex is recreated with slight mods to accomodate ASL hexes, from a map sketched out at the time by a marine on site. And per HBR (historical battle rule) the marines can enter this cave/complex and get to fight it out underground with the Japanese. Still deciding which of three designs for this cave/complex works best. Once decided, we will begin playtesting this bad boy. It sort of reminds me (on a much larger scale of course) of a scenario that came out IIRC from the Partisan module which depicted an "underground" action. I always felt that was quite unique. Hope players think this scenario is too.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Subterranean Quarry.

I designed an underground scenario for Glennbo's next Zombie pack. Troops have to go into tunnels and clear out crypts that are generating Zombies. I used SQ as a model, but my scenario uses different boards. You go from a valley into cave openings.

spooner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Subterranean Quarry.
Does any remember this old scenario from Partisan ? Also called #32 Subterranean Quarry. The roads on board 1 were used as underground tunnels, & board 4 was the surface.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any news on that one? Maybe a pic of the map or something like that ...
I know there is a lot of playtest activity happening here. We are currently proofing the rules as well.
closer but not yet there.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hope the following helps.
The playtest map has been digitized. Final version of the map won't be ready until we get through the initial run of playtesting to see if there are any "bugs" or fine tuning we can do to make the final map the best it can be. I'm buried at work right for a while, but maybe in a few days I may be able to post a small section of the playtest map so you will have some idea what it will be like.
Playtesting on the scenarios is ongoing, as is PTing for the three CG's. I just finished up a playtest of the CG for Corregidor and now that I have it cleared away I can set up the Peleliu maps and get going on another playtest of one of its CG's.
I don't recall the exact number right now, but I believe there are 18 - 20 HASL map scenarios and 7 - 8 geo board scenarios (for actions taking place just off the HASL map). A wide variety of actions from tourney size to monster size and everything in between....seaborne landing, night action, NOBA, Air support, a fight during a typhoon, an underground battle in a cave complex, an assault on a Phosphate plant/factory, and a lot more.
You'll get more use out of the LVT w/FT we released in Blood and Jungle as that vehicle was field-modified at the battle of Peleliu. Lots of fun flaming out pillboxes and caves with that one...but beware those sneaky THH's and DC Heroes. You'll quickly learn to keep a couple marine squads adjacent to keep those do or die fanatics at bay.
BTW - I am in need of two more folks who can assist with some playtesting. Anyone interested please drop me an email or PM. Will post any updates as they come about. Thanks again.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a very preliminary view of the Peleliu map and is certainly subject of change, but provides a taste of the scale of this bad boy. If you are interested in helping us playtest, please get in contact with Sarge and let him know. The more playtesting time we get in, the faster we can get this one out the door.

Rick

View attachment 37253

Last edited:

MajorDad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We do indeed have a scenario depicting the action to take this large cave/complex. Located in the northern part of the island, at first the marines thought it to be a large phosphate mine. Numerous entrances and air vents, room inside for 500 - 800 men. Contained kitchens, an infirmary/hospital, sleeping quarters and storage for food, water and supplies. The cave/complex is recreated with slight mods to accomodate ASL hexes, from a map sketched out at the time by a marine on site. And per HBR (historical battle rule) the marines can enter this cave/complex and get to fight it out underground with the Japanese. Still deciding which of three designs for this cave/complex works best. Once decided, we will begin playtesting this bad boy. It sort of reminds me (on a much larger scale of course) of a scenario that came out IIRC from the Partisan module which depicted an "underground" action. I always felt that was quite unique. Hope players think this scenario is too.
I have been on the island twice. It is the most un-touched battle field in the Pacific if not the world. One has to be very careful walking around the ridges and caves since there is lots of ordnance laying around. The locals stay to the north end and do not venture into the Umurbrogol Mountains very much. On my second trip I explored the 1000 man cave complex which is at the north end. It consists of a main shaft running north/south down the middle of the ridge with cross tunnels going east/west. This complex was designed primarily for shelter and not a defensive position. The cave openings are large which are different from the caves and bunkers up on the ridges since those are small and very hard to see. I am looking forward to this HASL.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

If not for the CNA classes I would have loved to have helped, it looks like something thats going to be very intense, but I am looking forward more to the Corrigador HASL since it might be a bit more simpler to play then this.

Scott

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This HASL is in playtest presently. Expect in the neighborhood of 2-3 dozen scenarios when it is all said and done and 3 CGs. Probably a couple of years before it is polished to the level of quality we expect of ourselves. Will it be worth the wait for you PTO fanatics? From what I've seen to date, oh yeah.

Rick
You know ANOTHER reason to buy BFP over non playtested stuff (I won't use a name here). Take your time. Cook it right. I've got MORE than enough to keep me busy until then.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Take your time.

Whilst admitting in advance that I know relatively little about what will be in this and the Hurtgen package, I am slightly cooler about your HASL than your geo-map based products.

The real selling point, to me, was a combination of toybox (counters and maps) for DYO purposes as well as the great variety of scenarios in terms of combatants and sizes (slightly less so with BtB-Cobra and CoS) that have come with your products to date.

That is just me and my taste being more towards the scenario and system extension and less of a HASL and CG type.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know this is an old thread but any updates on this? I realize PIF took a lot of time so I can see BFP was focused on that. Ever since I saw that map I've been very anxious about where the project is at. B&J is so good I'm looking for more great PTO from BFP.