Status of Harpoon today (end of 2015)?

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Folks,

I have played Harpoon off and on over the years. I admit several things:

1) I don't have a lot of time to play games: computer or ftf.
2) Harpoon is not my #1 choice of games, but is #2.

That being said, I haven't played Harpoon in over a year. I hope that reflects how much time I have to play. :)

I am very interested in geopolitics and therefore know how important navies are to geopolitics. I would love to play some scenarios which reflect current or near future encounters which model technology as it stands today or in the near future. Now I know Harpoon is great a simulating Cold War times and I love it for that. But is Harpoon the best game today to simulate truly modern conflicts? Matrix has some new stuff out, but how realistic is it? Is Harpoon still the "way to go" for naval simulations? I don't want something "gamey". :)

Yes, I've been down this path before, asking how Harpoon is doing, etc. I do want to get back into it, at least a little bit. I mainly run linux now and don't want to spend a lot of time getting Harpoon to run there if there is something better now. So, any opinions on this topic are welcome.

Also, a shout out to Herman for keeping things going with Harpoon. When I did play fairly often, Herman was a big help and also writes some great scenarios. :)

Thanks,
MikeS

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good to see you alive and kicking.

There have been a few very modern Harpoon3 battlesets created from contemporary conflicts such as the 2nd Lebanese War, the Georgian War, and the Crimean Annexation. These scenarios were written even as the headlines were fresh on the newspapers and the bombs still falling! As to 'gamey-ness', I have no idea. I think that they are fun and entertaining and have a basis in fact. Realism is a subjective determination.

Several modern Harpoon Classic scenarios have also been released. I have no idea how either HC or H3 will run on a Linux system, but I suspect that they would fare well, since both games are simple and basic, without heavy emphasis on graphics.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Herman. Glad to see you're still hanging around as well. :) Those battlesets sound intriguing. I will give them a try.