Status of AdvancedSquadLeader.net

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is ASL.net down temporarily?

Update: The Wayback Machine latest copy of the site is in December 2018. Looks like it is probably down permanently. :(

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

My Thoughts

The golden years of ASL have passed that's for sure hearing this

We have no ASL.net and no active Desperation Morale

The Classic of Schwerpunct is no longer yearly (I hope we still see Friendly Fire) and though things in pipeline MMP releases at ASLOK seems unlikely to see the journal then - maybe for WO - the Special OPs and SK PTO is fine but despite buying it - I live in hope of finding some newbie to teach ftf (may have to wait till I retire)

Some hope with the update coming for Archives (Go Dave)
Nice to see more tourney's - they are small but active
LeFT has been good is always a blessing

Cheers

Rob:unsure:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think the "golden years" are past quite yet. We are settling down to a new world where multiple social media platforms are taking over from the existing websites to give us our fix.
As one producer drops out, so another rises to take it's place. Schwerpunkt appear to be slackening off but Lone Canuck is producing more and more.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Did/does "ASL.net" have content not found elsewhere? Last time I was there it was old and hampered by 404 content so I never went back.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't think the "golden years" are past quite yet. We are settling down to a new world where multiple social media platforms are taking over from the existing websites to give us our fix.
As one producer drops out, so another rises to take it's place. Schwerpunkt appear to be slackening off but Lone Canuck is producing more and more.
ASL.net - no one uses (seriously, the edit log shows crickets)
DM - it's basically a blog people can read, I've seen very few comments there to any of the listings
Schwerpunkt - you can only get by - what is it again? Certified hand-written cheque delivered by Pony Express?

I don't think these were ever reliable barometers of the ASL scene.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi All

My Thoughts

The Classic of Schwerpunct is no longer yearly (I hope we still see Friendly Fire) and though things in pipeline MMP releases at ASLOK seems unlikely to see the journal then - maybe for WO - the Special OPs and SK PTO is fine but despite buying it - I live in hope of finding some newbie to teach ftf (may have to wait till I retire)

Cheers

The ASL good times are still here in southern New England, we here in western Massachusetts have a vibrant ASL club scene at two locations and I (along with much help, especially from Tom Morin) are finishing up on Dispatch #48, due to be transmitted later this month. Carl Nogueria and a bunch of my ASL friends are also working on Nor'easter Pack II, due out in a couple years.

ASL is alive and well in the northeast USA, Vic.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All

My Thoughts

Cheers

and yet how many ASL releases in 2019 so far? MMP, LFT, LCP, BFP all have overflowing pipelines of stuff in the works...

Seriously, I've been hearing "ASL's Golden Years are over" since 1997-98 buyout by Hasbro after TAHGC went bankrupt. And yet, here we are, some 20+ years later, still not only playing the game, and still not only teaching newbies to play it also, but still selling the game and still making new products for it.

I think this game will still be around and being played, long after I am worm dirt.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
and yet how many ASL releases in 2019 so far? MMP, LFT, LCP, BFP all have overflowing pipelines of stuff in the works...

Seriously, I've been hearing "ASL's Golden Years are over" since 1997-98 buyout by Hasbro after TAHGC went bankrupt. And yet, here we are, some 20+ years later, still not only playing the game, and still not only teaching newbies to play it also, but still selling the game and still making new products for it.

I think this game will still be around and being played, long after I am worm dirt.
It felt weird giving this post a "like." I mean it's not that I like the idea of anyone being turned into worm dirt ...

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
It felt weird giving this post a "like." I mean it's not that I like the idea of anyone being turned into worm dirt ...
Amen to that but ever since last year and that damn tick bite and everything that came after it, mortality has been in the back of my mind.

So trying to get in as much gaming as I can, maybe I'm not quite as good as I used to be but 90+% aint too bad for a disabled 64 year old. :)

And I get to have a real Summer this time around, heading up to Maine next weekend to see Alice Cooper (9th time) and Halestorm (3rd time to see Lzzy Hale rattle my brain) so life is much better this time around.

ASL is burning pretty bright here for me, Vic.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
well, technically speaking, I'll be feeding the fishies, as it were, I opted for the burial at sea option that comes with my Marine Corps retirement. Recycle me, feed the sharks, lend a hand (or an arm or a leg). Besides, my buddies and a few of my Marines are already in Davy Jones' locker, so I shan't be alone, by any means.

;)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you will better rest with John Paul "Jones"...not Davy...Davy's origins are shall we say more English...JPs are in the land of Wallace and hence to here...and while JP was not a Marine...he seems to have had your fighting spirit. Plus whisky is a far better ration than run...despite what a Sparrow might crow. ;)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think you will better rest with John Paul "Jones"...not Davy...Davy's origins are shall we say more English...JPs are in the land of Wallace and hence to here...and while JP was not a Marine...he seems to have had your fighting spirit. Plus whisky is a far better ration than run...despite what a Sparrow might crow. ;)
John Paul Jones died in Paris, France in 1792, and was buried there.

wikipedia said:
In 1906, the corporal remains of John Paul Jones were interred into the crypt beneath the Annapolis, Maryland, Naval Academy
I'd think you'd have to pull some strings to be interred with him.

JR