Starting 2004 off with ASL

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Things have been kinda dead here in Tampa since ASLOK but we are starting the new year off right. This Saturday, 1/3/03 we are playing ASL at Hobbytown in Brandon, FL. It looks like we will have eight dice rolling goobers scaring the customers away. We are going to do some Schwerpunkt Volume 10 & 11 playtesting and hopefully, we will have Journal #5 on hand for some new scenarios.

What are you doing for the ASL hobby this weekend? Are you playing ASL or are you just yammering about it?

Evan Sherry
Tampa ASL Group

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I've scheduled my first FtF session for today- so if I can up keep this rate for the rest of the year I'll pay 366 scenarios this year. :wink:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a few turns of Hill 621 today - so that's my first ASL of the new year.

I am the German and am holding him in the middle of board 4. I've stunned one of his vehicles and immobilazed another.

Just got my 80mm OBA to go "boom" too. :)

oh, yeah. I also killed his 9-1 with a critical hit on a bounding fire shot.

Life is good...

Sam

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With shame...

With shame I admit that I did NOT play ASL to greet the new year.

Instead, two games of SETTLERS OF CATAN--started the first @7pm Dec31 and ended the second @ 1am Jan 1....

Plus, I won both of them....

Am playing from Paul Kennys recent pack BLOODY HELL on Sat Jan 3

USA vs. IJA, Phillipines, Jan 1945.

Should be a blood bath....

Mark De Vries

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am also covered in shame. Not just from welcoming the New Year with A Game of Thrones and Rapidough, but also because the boys got hammered by the girls in the latter... :oops:

First ftf ASL the week after next.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On New Years day, I took part in a Settlers of Catan marathon (two games of Settlers, two games of Stone Age Settlers, and one game of Starfarers). But since I won 3 out of 5 games (with 5 players), I am definitely the Settlers Lord and cannot complain.

This coming weekend, I will be at Officefest in Detroit and hopefully will get 3-4 scenarios in. Then next week I will be at Winter Offensive in Bowie, Maryland, and have a chance to get perhaps seven or eight scenarios.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the Wolves' Last Tooth from the SoCal pack on Saturday afternoon. Won it in a nail-biter as the fleeing Italians. The week before NYE I played it as the Greeks and won handily when several squads of militia refused to die in CC and took down several Ital. squads when they did succumb.

G

The Tampa ASL Group's first 2004 session was a great success. We had 11 players at Hobbytown USA. We also had a few curious onlookers. I playtested The Chernichivo Shuffle and gave Steve Ives a Russian tactics lesson. I also playtested Brian Williams' gem, Seizing the Sittang Bridge. I gave Mark Zimmerman the beating he deserved.

Hopefully, we will keep on having good attendance at our Hobbytown USA sessions. The biggest problem we have is having to explain to potential players that the ASLRB and BV are still out of print. We cannot point to the shelf (which is why Hobbytown lets us play there) directing the customer to the worlds greatest wargame. Perhaps this will change soon.

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
After Hobbytown

Evan left out some other good parts of the day. Before the playing we put the hurt on the Chinese buffet and afterwards we chowed at the Olive Garden!

Wes "0-2 that day"

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
the ball or a bomb?

We had a New Year's Eve bash at the vasl server....it was a playtest of one of the scenarios for the CiN package I've been laboring on for the past year and a half...great game it was, just as the ball was dropped I was dropping a 100mm bomb onto a Norwegian HMG position (just after he had rolled 6,6 in a vain attempt to shoot it down)....I hope this isn't a portent of things to come in the new year George!!

Best wishes for all in the new year!

BC