Starter Kit scenario 1 to full ASL

Paul Q

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a player with SK1 and a recently acquired ASL rule book. Is there an SK1 Scenario1 upgraded to full ASL available? Failing that does it require anything more than adding snipers

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know of any updates from SK scenarios to full ASL, but that doesn't mean they're not out there, but as you said, you could always add snipers. Concealment will also come into play, which may unbalance a scenario. Or you could always play an Infantry-and-MGs-only scenario like 181 Gavin Take.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a player with SK1 and a recently acquired ASL rule book. Is there an SK1 Scenario1 upgraded to full ASL available? Failing that does it require anything more than adding snipers
You need not add snipers, but concealment is the biggest change.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no specific rules to upgrade an ASLSK scenario to ASL but several people have proposed "rules of thumb" to be able to do so.
  1. Assign a Sniper to each side a based upon the relative situation of the scenario. [EX: If it's a hasty attack on a less than well prepared defense a 2 and 3 SAN should be adequate but you may want to be increased if the situation was fluid or takes place in heavy terrain (buildings/jungle etc)].
  2. The addition of "Dummy" counters can also be added easily by determining the status of the defender if the attacker is coming from off-board. If in a reasonable defensive posture the defender could add a number of dummies equal to about 10% of your Squads/SE (FRU) in the OB (If a well prepared defense you could up that to 20-25% even if the situation would seem to allow it). Of course if the attack is a surprise attack you could add some to the attacker's forces as well.
  3. You won't be able to attest to balance but it will give you a feel for ASL.
My personal preference though would be to download the free "Classic" scenarios from MMP and play them in order as they will give you a pretty good grounding in the transition from ASLSK to ASL.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Paul Q There's an article with some tips in General v24 #2, page16. There's a tactic the German player can use to make it very tough on the Americans as it essentially takes a balanced, six-turn scenario, and strips off a turn: dig a foxhole in Q10.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Many, of the SK scenarios are variations of existing ASL scenarios.
Read through Chap A. You will have much to add, but shouldn't be too bad.