Starter Kit Countermix

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
With each of the Starter Kits designed as a "stand alone" product, how do you differentiate the counter mix? By my count, there are around 40 of the 4-6-7 German 1st Line squads.

Do you put all four SK products into the same "kit", or do you keep enough of the countermix together to play any type of scenario?

I know that the Expansion Kit has added new infantry types and new vehicles, so I would plan on adding these to the "traveling group"

Just wondering how others approach this in light of the Battleschool blog on Starter Kit Storage,
which can be found at http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.com/2011/07/starter-kit-storage.html

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
With each of the Starter Kits designed as a "stand alone" product, how do you differentiate the counter mix? By my count, there are around 40 of the 4-6-7 German 1st Line squads.

Do you put all four SK products into the same "kit", or do you keep enough of the countermix together to play any type of scenario?

I know that the Expansion Kit has added new infantry types and new vehicles, so I would plan on adding these to the "traveling group"

Just wondering how others approach this in light of the Battleschool blog on Starter Kit Storage,
which can be found at http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.com/2011/07/starter-kit-storage.html
I just toss them in with the rest of my ASL gear. I may pull some of them out again. Some of the informational counters are disruptive to my CSS (Counter-Storage System), because they put things on the front and back that don't go together well in my system. Also, I have so many German 4-6-7s that the Polish embassy has been leaving messages on my voicemail, asking about my future intentions.

JR

chew827

Recruit
Reaction score
Currently I have SK1 and 2 and am looking for EP1 (and/or SK3). Currently my chits are all combined. I hadn't seen the storage blog post that you linked before but I had to laugh because I bought the exact same storage container for my SK stuff by coincidence and only because they were being sold for $12 at Menards. What I didn't do was modify the top and get two more cases. As it is the minors and the British are all mixed up. The Americans and Russians are in a single tray and so the squads are sometimes combined with their HS equivalents. I'm going to have to follow that advice and get the extra two containers - that'll make a big difference!

On the other hand I'm hoping to take the plunge in the next month or two and get Beyond Valor and start building an actual ASL collection. When I do this I will keep my ASLSK and ASL counters separate. The 3500s in that setup above is just too perfect for the SK stuff. I did the same heavy weight page protectors on my scenario cards, manuals, maps and QRDC but I put them in my ASLRB binder. It's getting bloated, I'm going to have to separate them.

Reactions: Del

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have all the SK counters crammed together in one box along with the boards and rules. All nice and available for when I need them.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
All my Starter Kit stuff--Numbers 1-3, plus the Bonus Pack #1 and SKEP #1--is stored together, using three counter trays and the original cardboard boxes and plastic sleeves. Now I wish I'd kept the Expansion Pack components separate.

Pocky101

Reaction score
Now I wish I'd kept the Expansion Pack components separate.
Why is that? I haven't punched my EP counters yet but I planned to make room for them in my current storage trays.

To stay on topic: I have all my SK 1-3 counters stored in 2 Plano 3701 tackle boxes. Would not mix them with my regular ASL kit for two reasons. One: I hate all the "weird" info counters in the SKs and wouldn't want them to mix with my regular ones. Two: I still play SK stuff with some of my friends and it makes it much more portable. Rather than having to lug all my Russians or what-not around I have to handy bins that have everything SK related. I use one of the boxes for the maps and another one for the books, QDRCs and scenarios.

Luke Sineath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I put ALL of my SK counters in a single plano tray. They aren't sorted by nationality, though, but by type: all the 1st line squads in one compartment, all the 2nd line in another, all the LMGs in one, etc. There aren't so many counters that this is difficult. I have two compartments for ordnance; there are 4 for vehicles: the Germans get two all to themselves, and the allies share two. I also keep dice and a spool of thread in there. The scenarios and boards are all kept in page protectors in a binder along with the rules (which I also put in page protectors). Small and efficient!

Pocky101

Reaction score
I put ALL of my SK counters in a single plano tray. They aren't sorted by nationality, though, but by type: all the 1st line squads in one compartment, all the 2nd line in another, all the LMGs in one, etc. There aren't so many counters that this is difficult. I have two compartments for ordnance; there are 4 for vehicles: the Germans get two all to themselves, and the allies share two. I also keep dice and a spool of thread in there. The scenarios and boards are all kept in page protectors in a binder along with the rules (which I also put in page protectors). Small and efficient!
I'm not one to say how you should do something so more power to you if that works for you. It would drive me BANANAS to have all my nationalities mixed together like that though.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't punched mine yet....

But there are several counters I plan on adding to my main ASL counter mix (all the AFVs) from the SK3 & EP#1.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Why is that? I haven't punched my EP counters yet but I planned to make room for them in my current storage trays.
For the past three years I've travelled to play ASL at game days at local game stores, so I pull the counters and boards(mounted) for a couple of scenarios I want to try. Plus, I like to bring my Starter Kit stuff with me so that when new players drop by we can do an introductory scenario. Most of the time, though, full ASL is on the menu, so all I really need to cover the occasional foray into the Starter Kit domain is Expansion Pack #1. But I didn't keep the components separate and I have no way of knowing now what was in the plastic sleeve. I like to carry the bare minimum, other members of the club haul every module, core and historical, action and scenario pack, journal, general, and TPP product they own. Funnily enough, those guys didn't buy the SK offerings.

ireland94

Starter Kit Teacher/Mento
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have all my Starter Kit counters in 5 Plano boxes - German, American, Russian, Other countries, and informational.
I scanned the front and back of each counter sheet and included the scans with the associated rulebooks.
I scanned them in case I ever need to match a counter back to the product it came from.
All my rulebooks (fold trimmed off), QRDCs (fold trimmed off), scenarios, and counter sheet scans for all Starter Kit products are in individual page protectors in a single 2 1/2 inch D-ring notebook.
I also have a print of each of the VASL maps for Starter Kit in a page protector.
I include a print copy of each of my VASL enhnaced setups for the Starter Kit scenarios, also in a page protector. These are the same setups I have uploaded to this site and to BGG.
Finally, I have a text printout of the "Info" tool button contents for each scenario. These are printed on the reverse side of my enhanced setup print from VASL.
I originally wanted to upload to GS and BGG a PDF of the image of the VASL enhanced setups but size restricts did not permitted me uploading them (PDF of images are rather large).
I have found that have a setup picture as well as the scenario card to be handy when selecting a scenario to play. IMO, you get a much better feel for the scenario being able to read and see.
Before separating my counters, I spray painted each side with 2 coats of clear matte finish acrylic.

Last edited:

grofaz

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
I have all my Starter Kit counters in 5 Plano boxes - German, American, Russian, Other countries, and informational.
I scanned the front and back of each counter sheet and included the scans with the associated rulebooks.
I scanned them in case I ever need to match a counter back to the product it came from.
All my rulebooks (fold trimmed off), QRDCs (fold trimmed off), scenarios, and counter sheet scans for all Starter Kit products are in individual page protectors in a single 2 1/2 inch D-ring notebook.
I also have a print of each of the VASL maps for Starter Kit in a page protector.
I include a print copy of each of my VASL enhnaced setups for the Starter Kit scenarios, also in a page protector. These are the same setups I have uploaded to this site and to BGG.
Finally, I have a text printout of the "Info" tool button contents for each scenario. These are printed on the reverse side of my enhanced setup print from VASL.
I originally wanted to upload to GS and BGG a PDF of the image of the VASL enhanced setups but size restricts did not permitted me uploading them (PDF of images are rather large).
I have found that have a setup picture as well as the scenario card to be handy when selecting a scenario to play. IMO, you get a much better feel for the scenario being able to read and see.
Before separating my counters, I spray painted each side with 2 coats of clear matte finish acrylic.
Ireland,

Hi,

Great ideas, I'm glad I read this before I punched my ASLSK Exp 1 and BV counters. Finishing the acrylic coating-brilliant. Do you have the files available in Dropbox or Google Drive?

Thanks

PD- I realize that I'm necroing this thread...but hoping to get an answer from ireland94.

Last edited:

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I own the entire starter kit system (including BTB and EP1) and have integrated all components (save Decision at Elst) into the three SK boxes. All counters are separated by nationality in ziploc and stored in the SK1 box. All scenarios, rules, and QRDCs are in the SK2 box. The SK3 box holds all the maps. I have a Plano 3701 for all the info markers (which remains separate from my full ASL info chits due to the aforementioned "weird" counter combinations.) Sure, it's probably a little more inconvenient when teaching a newbie, but it works decently, is still easy to transport, and doesn't require a significant investment of materials or time.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I own the entire starter kit system (including BTB and EP1) and have integrated all components (save Decision at Elst) into the three SK boxes. All counters are separated by nationality in ziploc and stored in the SK1 box. All scenarios, rules, and QRDCs are in the SK2 box. The SK3 box holds all the maps. I have a Plano 3701 for all the info markers (which remains separate from my full ASL info chits due to the aforementioned "weird" counter combinations.) Sure, it's probably a little more inconvenient when teaching a newbie, but it works decently, is still easy to transport, and doesn't require a significant investment of materials or time.

Sounds like a nice easy to use system, got to like it!!

Thanks
Joe

RB II

Recruit
Reaction score
The beauty of SK is that each game is standalone. Take down 1 box from the shelf and it has everything. Consume the box and done. Sell the box and done. Buy a new box and done. The counters are stored in paper matchboxes. Plastik ist gefälscht. Cardboard au natural. The matchboxes have color stickers on top for nationality (red, blue, brown etc) or color ink, and hand-written notes on the ends of the slide-out tray what they contain (sorted on E, 1, 2, C etc). About 10-12 matchboxes per game. Simple, light, unintimidating, easy to transport, doesn't leave you overwhelmed with thousands of counters.

Der Fleischer

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
Much like Patrick Ireland, I use 6 Plano boxes (1 for German, 1 for British, 1 for Russian, 1 for American, 1 for Italy and Minors, and 1 for Information Counters). I own all the ASL SK products that MMP has published and as such (I just received the PTO module) I will have to add another box for the Japanese. Although 6 Plano boxes may seem like a lot, my set is completely portable in a single carboard moving box that fits easily under my arm.

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
I've been using the Darice beading organizers ("Darice Organizer NO Spill 32COMP 13.7X8.6X1 Clear" if you are looking for it). 32 compartments and it works very well for me. I have SK 1-3 organized by nationality into two boxes, SK 4 into another box by itself, and what I call my "tutorial travel kit" (TTK) in a fourth box. I built my TTK with just enough counters (informational counters as well) as I plow through all of the Richardson and delRio tutorials as I try to teach myself ASL. Works well as I bounce between NC and my grandkids in Florida!943394349435

Last edited:

Thaliff

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
I have all SK's 1-4 and EP1 sorted into 4 Plano 3701's. I'll post pics as soon as the PTO is finished, but I arranged them on a spreadsheet first. All the books/maps are in a 2" D-ring binder.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been using the Darice beading organizers ("Darice Organizer NO Spill 32COMP 13.7X8.6X1 Clear" if you are looking for it). 32 compartments and it works very well for me. I have SK 1-3 organized by nationality into two boxes, SK 4 into another box by itself, and what I call my "tutorial travel kit" (TTK) in a fourth box. I built my TTK with just enough counters (informational counters as well) as I plow through all of the Richardson and delRio tutorials as I try to teach myself ASL. Works well as I bounce between NC and my grandkids in Florida!View attachment 9433View attachment 9434View attachment 9435
I use the same containers. What are the bands around yours?