starter kit boards and road entry

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
One of my pet peeves about SK1 is that nearly all the scenarios have units entering the board and there are no rules (at least in the first printing) for how to resolve this

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The updated SK1-4 has this for OB movement under 3.3:

"Units are set up offboard along the specified edge(s) of the map at the start of their RPh in the Player Turn of entry. They may not perform any action while offboard except move during the MPh per normal Open Ground movement costs. They must enter during the MPh or APh of their turn of entry or be eliminated. Roads are considered to extend offboard for purposes of road bonus. "

The updated rules are available for free from MMP site.

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but has the printed RB in SK1 been updated?
From BGG, "This 10th Anniversary Edition of ASL Starter Kit #1 contains a completely updated rulebook and QRDC, incorporating all known errata."
The green stripe on the front of the box says that the rules were updated.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but has the printed RB in SK1 been updated?
Not really. The 2014 10th anniversary edition incorporated some updates. But even that edition (now 8 years old) contained several errors and has been updated with the aforementioned SK1-4 edition dated from September 2021. As of now, this edition is only available as a free download, which seems to be the future of the SKRB for now. Makes economic sense not to have to print all new hard copies every time a few words are added or changed.

IMO, the electronic edition is light years ahead of its original 2004 predecessor (or even the 10th anniversary ed.). Not only has errata been added and some rules clarified, but the formatting is much better (though still not perfect) helping to break up the notorious "wall of text" visual. For example, Residual Fire has its own subsection now. Also, the definitions page has been improved and expanded which is the closest thing the SKRB has to an index.

Granted, the downside is that the player might have to "read around" rules for guns, armor, and PTO (most of which are in the latter half of the RB), when all he wants to play is infantry. But even if only playing SK1, anyone not using this latest edition is handicapping themselves from the start.

MMP's continued updating of the SKRB (for free), and expanding the SK universe: guns, armor, PTO, Bonus Packs, Expansion Packs, Historic Module (I understand a new one is in the works to be released soon), demonstrates their commitment to the SK community. And, speaking for myself, is much appreciated.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If the eSK RB had hyperlinks I'd pay for it.
Toss all the rulebooks away if it isn't the downloaded SK4 RB.
There is no incentive to update them as that would be counterproductive since SK4 is free.

"Living Rules" concept by GMT.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It's better than nothing, 'tis true.
The SK rulebook is rather short, compared with the full ASL rulebook.
I believe that the search function works fine, if you know which key word to enter.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The SK rulebook is rather short, compared with the full ASL rulebook.
I believe that the search function works fine, if you know which key word to enter.
Many things work fine. My first Nokia worked fine.
Some bookmarks and links from the order of presentation would be nice though. I would pay for nice.
And I'm glad somebody mentioned that the SK4 PDF had been updated. I expect the Jan 2020 version I had was mostly fine.
But I'm also sure the updated 2021 version is better (and the above link to MMP has an error).

Last edited:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not quite the same, the MMP version is missing the color coding
Not quite sure what "missing the color coding means." When I click on the link in my post, it takes me to an MMP page with tabs along the top right. Tap resources, scroll down to "ASL Starter Kit#4 with errata 9/3/2021" and download. You can also get to that page just by going to the MMP main site.

Multi-Man Publishing (mmpgamers.com)

Should be easy-peasy.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The implication is that the MMP document has been improved upon by somebody else.

And also while downloading the MMP version may be easy, it's not obvious that a newer version than the 2020 download I was using was available from MMP. Good on them for doing another update though.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So... I'm starting to get confused. Is there another version of the updated SKRB that is "more-up-to-date" than the one MMP is currently showing for free DL (dated 9/3/2021)? FWIW, the September 2021 update only added maybe 4-5 changes that were mostly a word or phrase here and there. IIRC, there was nothing significant. I just like to know I'm using the most recent RB regardless of the game I'm playing.

Game on, my friends.