Starter Kit #4 Counter Mix

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received my copies of Starter Kit #4. I like it. I could not help but notice the strange counter mix. After all of the hoopla about introducing the Japanese, there is a surprisingly small amount of them. There are only three 4-4-8s and only one of each type of Japanese leader. Strangely, there are twenty 6-6-8 Marine squads and even more strangely, there is not a single scenario in SK#4 that uses a 6-6-8 Marine squad. I suspect that there will be a scenario published later that will utilize them. Even just a few more Japanese counters would have been nice. For goodness sake you SKers, do not misplace one of these preciously rationed Sons of Nipon.

Last edited:

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received my copies of Starter Kit #4. I like it. I could not help but notice the strange counter mix. After all of the hoopla about introducing the Japanese, there is a surprisingly small amount of them. There are only four 4-4-8s and only one of each type of Japanese leader. Strangely, there are twenty 6-6-8 Marine squads and even more strangely, there is not a single scenario in SK#4 that uses a 6-6-8 Marine squad. I suspect that there will be a scenario published later that will utilize them. Even just a few more Japanese counters would have been nice. For goodness sake you SKers, do not misplace one of these preciously rationed Sons of Nipon.
I agree,. I too was disappointed in the small number of Japanese counters.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Mmmm let’s see, American produced module with too many American counters... who’d of thought that then ......

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
3 x 4-4-8
14 x 4-4-7
8 x 3-4-7
6 x 3-3-6
2 x 2-3-8 HS
10 x 2-3-7 HS
1 x 1-3-7 HS
5 x 1-3-7 HS
4 x 1-2-6 HS
6 x 2-2-8 Inf. Crew
6 x 1-2-7 Veh. Crew

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well, the small number of Japanese counters can work like a teaser, which entices people to go for full ASL... which was the initial objective of the Starter kits.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Without HoB, there is no need for more Elite squads than appear in the scenarios.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
31 full squads for the Japanese doesn't seem that surprisingly small to me for a starter kit. YMMV.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
31 full squads for the Japanese doesn't seem that surprisingly small to me for a starter kit. YMMV.
You can't use all thirty-one in a single starting OB without potential difficulty because while SK does not have battle hardening, it does have ELR replacement.

JR

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, the small number of Japanese counters can work like a teaser, which entices people to go for full ASL... which was the initial objective of the Starter kits.
When I was last active in IL about 90% of the SK players said they had no intention to moving to full ASL at all and were happy with SK only.

So I personally don’t think this is the case. Next they want SK for the desert ?