Start OCS with Case Blue

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi all,

I want to buy Case Blue and I'm new to OCS, is there a "training" scenario inside it? (or merely more easy).

I know there are games more friendly (like Tunisia) but I want this one :smoke:

Thanks in advance

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
this post has a list of the smaller, more manageable scenarios in CB.

Be advised, though, there's alot of info to digest if you tackle OCS through CB; no intent to dissuade you-quite the contrary-but so long as you're aware of the step you're taking, there's less chance of frustration.

Good luck!

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Be advised, though, there's alot of info to digest if you tackle OCS through CB; no intent to dissuade you-quite the contrary-but so long as you're aware of the step you're taking, there's less chance of frustration.
I don't have fear after the huge ASL rulebook :p

Also there is now the old standby Chir Battles converted to OCS 4.0
Perfect, I will start with it.

Anyhow thanks for your advices :)

Which Case Blue scenarios do you prefer?

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have been sucked into OCS by Case Blue as well!!

My credit card was charged on Feb. 9th, so it is in the mail. After ASL I figure that OCS should be "managable".

I was wondering about using PBEM on vassal for OCS. Good/Bad? It works for ASL to an extend, but can be very tedious with certain types of scenarios (lots of vehicles for example)

Any thoughts, or general tips on learning OCS. Should I start with a small Case Blue scenario or does somebody recommend a different module?

I also order Burma. Any thoughts on this one?

Sorry for all the question, just getting excited about getting the product in my hands!!!!

Thanks,

Michael

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Mike,

The busiest place for OCS info is at consimworld:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@231.s5one6RMPYT.6@.ee6b471/27444

I'd answer your questions, but I've already talked to you a lot about it. :) What the hell, I'll give my thoughts anyways...

People seem to agree that Tunisia is the best campaign to start with, but it sounds like there are a lot of scenarios in other modules (like the Chir Battles) that are good for learnin'.

I've been playing PBEM Tunisia, and it works very well. A lot of OCS play time is spent moving units / supply around, in preparation for an attack, and there's no need for the other player to interact. So that works well. There are a few more back-and-forths when combat starts, because your opponent isn't supposed to look into your stacks (ever when attacking them!) You announce your action rating and strength points after the attack is declared.

I'd imagine you could speed up pbem play by getting rid of this rule, but I personally love all things fog-of-war, and I think it's worth it. :)

There are quite a few players at consimworld who play by email, and it sounds like they all do it slightly differently, depending on how fast they want to play, and how much fog-of-war they want.

22GCT_Cook

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Stefano
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In my opinion if you are so lucky to find an opponent available to play online, the best way to run OCS is playing by email any Phase but the Combat ones. Try it....

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Case Blue arrived yesterday :)

Now can start the phase of learning...

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
btw, I just realise this is my 6th DAK game. I think I should put it on my favourite games list then hmm. :smoke:

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Ok, I finished my first game (The Chir River Battles) and now I'm playing 6.1 Edge of the World.

Great game, it is simple to learn but is hard to play!

Thanks

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Great game, it is simple to learn but is hard to play!
Soo true. Although some might think the logistics are a bit difficult it comes automatically after a few turns, and it makes lot of sense too :smoke:
but what really is tough to master are the maneuvers. Making a nice schwerpunkt, breakthrough and then massive exploitation is the great art in OCS...and in warfare