Start’em young

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Last night my 13-year-old son played his first game of ASL. I am helping a friend learn using the starter kit so I thought I would ask my son. I don’t have the starter kit so I made my own kit. We used board 20-city board. I asked him what side he wanted to be he chooses the German and I choose the Brits. I only used squads and half squads with a few leaders, no SW where used.
I explained to him the game in the simplest way I could. Make a long story short he was able to form fire groups, tell me what table he was using and what the drm where. We played two hours. I won’t introduce SW until he gets the basic which he is just beginning to grasp. He also started skullking, I never even showed him that, I think he may have potential.
Your probably wonder how I got my 13-year-old son interested. Well it goes back a ways; I used to let him play with my old squad leader counter which he liked because they had pictures on them. I also on occasion would let him drop the dice in my dice tower when I was playing ASL with friends at home in my basement. I always praised him when he rolled low (my lawyer told me not to mention what I did when he rolled high you understand). Anyway by the time he was six he understood that low is good.
This is a win, win situation for me. Once he knows how to play, we can play at least once or twice a week and the wife calls it quality time so it doesn’t count as one of my regular nights. I also made sure I told the wife his math should improve as well and she smiled and said that’s great sweetheart (because I am you know).
That how it’s done gentlemen.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MAth skills, quality time. That's it, I'm teaching my 4 children this game!!!! Wish my wife would like to upgrade her math skills and spend some quality ASL time with me! :D

paulkenny

Reaction score
THeres no hope for my 12 year old he is a good looking athletic kid who has lots of friends and is becoming interested in girls.

There is hope for my 4 year old though as one of his favorite videos is BIG TANKS!!

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was just looking for an excuse to play more. I just bought the SK 3 weeks ago and love it. By the time the RB and BV come back, I will be able to move on to the big games.

My daughter (9 y-o) wants to play with me so I will teach her the way I am being taught, with the SK although she might not learn the rules or remember them but eventually she will.

Priest

Reaction score
That's something to look forward to Gilbert. eventually getting your but kicked at ASL by all your children. :D

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Later on if they do kick my but, that will be ok, they say the student always surpasses its teacher...

Cabin4clw

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Terrific! My daughter likes to play ASLSK. Of course she rolls so much better than I do. She's played miniatures with me as well so she has an idea about tactics. It's nice to be able to pass on a love of a game to my daughter.

Joe