Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm preview

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PC Gamer has a preview (based on BlizzCon from what I can tell - so not exactly new news) that details some of the new units coming with Heart of the Swarm. The changes are far more extensive than what I expected. In fact, it seems like HotS is going to make SCII a whole new game:

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm preview
Heart of the Swarm’s new multiplayer units are focused missiles, all introduced as either replacements or new entities to fix issues in the game’s asymmetrical matchups. It’s the same tactic that Blizzard have used in the singleplayer portions of this game, and in Wings of Liberty before it: units are introduced and shown as fulfilling a specific role.

The key difference is in execution – Heart of the Swarm’s singleplayer walks players through the best way to use a new toy; the multiplayer decides you’re mature enough to handle things yourself, presses the toolbox into your hands, gives you a wink, and says “have fun”. It’s enough to get me all emotional.
I really agree with the opening paragraph, btw:

For me 2011 has been a time of discovery, as this year I found StarCraft and, by extension, esports. I found a game that captivated me and a community that epitomises both the best and worst of PC gaming.
Yup. Albeit, I don't think SC2 represents the worst of PC gaming. I think those Dota games represent the worst, community-wise.