'Star Wars,' With Even More Digital Tweaks

Patrocles

Reaction score
I've heard mix responses about the 'tweaks' made to the DVD release of SW IV-VI.

www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

'Star Wars,' With Even More Digital Tweaks
By DAVE KEHR

Published: September 21, 2004

'The Star Wars Trilogy'

George Lucas has taken his own sweet time preparing "Star Wars" for DVD, but most fans will find the results worth the wait. Coming out today from 20th Century Fox Home Video, the four-disc "Star Wars Trilogy" box set presents faultless transfers of the first three films in Mr. Lucas's continuing trilogy of trilogies, otherwise known as "Episode IV: A New Hope" (1977), "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" (1980) and "Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi" (1983).

Owners of high-end home theater systems will now have new demo disks with which to annoy their friends, as they point out the incredibly crisp edge definition, the rich shadow detail and the satisfyingly deep blacks that Mr. Lucas and his engineers have brought to this collection.

Mr. Lucas has never stopped updating these films, which were made back in the Neolithic era of analog special effects. Though the editions here are based on the digitally refurbished prints that Mr. Lucas prepared for the 1997 "Special Edition" release, he has added a few more digital tweaks, most notably a completely reanimated Jabba the Hutt in "Episode IV."

Hard-core "Star Wars" fans continue to be divided over the merits of the revisions. (There are some revealing screen-shot comparisons at www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html.) Some support Mr. Lucas's determination to keep the series on the cutting edge of visual effects, while others regret that the films can no longer be seen as they were first released. Though this isn't quite the same as re-releasing "The Jazz Singer" in Dolby 5.1, the revisions do strip some of the patina - the pleasing marks of time - from the series. No longer rooted in late 1970's America, the films have become timeless in a banal sense, kicked outside the historical moment that produced them. $69.98. PG.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
hey, pardon my ignorance, but how do we post pics instead of only posting links to the pic from the attach file button?
I think it's disabled. Saves on bandwidth each time someone accesses the thread.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
Hard-core "Star Wars" fans continue to be divided over the merits of the revisions. (There are some revealing screen-shot comparisons at www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html.)
F****** journalist idiots.

Star Wars fans are opposed to the changes between the 1977-1984 releases and the 1997 re-releases.

The above link comparing scenes points out changes between the 1997 and 2004 versions, which are all fine.

* Offensive language edited by Moderator, Doctor Sinister.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrocles

Reaction score
Redwolf said:
F****** journalist idiots.

Star Wars fans are opposed to the changes between the 1977-1984 releases and the 1997 re-releases.

The above link comparing scenes points out changes between the 1997 and 2004 versions, which are all fine.

* Offensive language edited by Moderator, Doctor Sinister.
wow! I didn't even know they were changes in the earlier versions! Lucas certainly loves tweaking things.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
wow! I didn't even know they were changes in the earlier versions! Lucas certainly loves tweaking things.
All the bad changes are in the 1997 re-release. I don't see any problem with the ones documented at the link above.

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doctor Sinister said:
Jabba certainly looks better anyway...

Dr. S.
Although the pre-97 "large man in brown furs in the middle of a freakin' desert" Jabba was quite hilarious! ;)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Richa333 said:
Although the pre-97 "large man in brown furs in the middle of a freakin' desert" Jabba was quite hilarious! ;)
Never thought about it like that...maybe he was making a serious attempt to lose weight?

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've just noticed that Boba Fett's voice in ESB has changed too - now he sounds like Jango in episode 2. Haven't had a chance to double-check ROTJ yet.

Dr. S.

Marines

Reaction score
Doctor Sinister said:
I've just noticed that Boba Fett's voice in ESB has changed too - now he sounds like Jango in episode 2. Haven't had a chance to double-check ROTJ yet.

Dr. S.
That has to be my favorite film out of the series (RotJ). After you have checked it out post your thoughts.