Star Wars, Star Trek or...?

What's your favourite Sci-Fi program?

• Star Wars - I can't stand that Trek techno' gobbledegook.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Star Trek - I can't stand all that mystical Jedi nonsense.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Stargate SG1 - It has men with guns and everything!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Babylon 5 - Although the last season was a bit of a let down.

• Doctor Who - Any Sci-Fi series that ran for 26 years can't be bad.

• Blake's 7 - The Federation troops looked sort of cool.

• Where's my favourite?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here's an irrelevant poll for you all (well, not so irrelevant - Star Wars at least has "war" in the title).

Yes, I know Star Wars isn't technically a TV "program" but in a war against Star Trek, I could hardly leave it out could I? Besides which, it does have a TV component - with the "Clone Wars", "Ewoks" and "Droids" cartoons. So that's my justification out of the way!

I'm a fan of all of the above. I also enjoy sitting on the fence in the great "Trek vs. Wars" debate.

"Doctor Who" has to be my favourite though.

Dr. S.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr. Who was the greatest! I can remember watching him for years on PBS.......I always liked the one with the curly brown hair......cant remember his name.........I know there were different ones.

Mark
Deo Vindice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by last_cav1971
Dr. Who was the greatest! I can remember watching him for years on PBS.......I always liked the one with the curly brown hair......cant remember his name.........I know there were different ones.

Mark
Deo Vindice
That would be Doctor number 4, Tom Baker. He's by far the most popular - especially in the US. I believe this was because his shows were the first ones to be shown over there. He's not my favourite though, that would be Patrick Troughton (number 2 - no sniggering at the back).

Dr. S.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I loved Dr. Who - it used to be on Sunday nights and my parents wouldn't let me stay up late since it was a school night. But, I realized that the local PBS station rebroadcast on one of the FM frequencies...so I would rig up my headphones and tiny transistor radio and lay in bed after being "put down for the night" and listen to Dr. Who for another hour and a half (they played full episodes in the states). Some of the best Sci-Fi ever.

Star Trek has consumed a huge part of my life...between the old and new shows, video games, movies, books, fold-out board games, role playing games, and so on... it would rank second after Dr. Who.

Star Wars gets a nod, but gets a big negative mark for the two new movies. Fun to watch, but are such shabby stories it shames the series.

Coldfiregod

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B5 by far even thought the last season sucked for the most part. Star wars I grew up with it. Star Trek was ok as is SG1. Doctor Who was excellent but started to loose me after a while. Battlestar Galactica, good but I felt tried to hard to be Star Wars at least in the Special Effects department. I could go on and on. Lots of good stuff out there. Losts of stuff better scraped off your shoe also.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
Looks like I'll need to instruct our future leader in the ways of Battlestar Galactica .
Bloody hell, I forgot about that one. So many that I could have put in there now I come to think about it a bit more...

Dr. S.

Reaction score
The original Star Wars trilogy was great. I used to watch Battlestar Galactica, get all trashed and go out "Cylon hunting". Star Trek Deep Space Nine was OK (hot chicks), Since then I don't watch much sci-fi stuff at all. The most recent Star Wars movies were full of terrible acting, but great special effects. Thank God the Lord of the Rings finally made it to film (and was well done).

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had to go with SG1. SW died when they jumped backwards in time. ST had it's ups and downs -down right now- (we all know the rule about odd numbered movies right?) B5 was good... and then it's time had passed. I never really watched Dr. Who, though it had cool theme music. Blake's 7? No idea.

I was so :rolleyes: disappointed at not seeing Space 1999 on the list. Also missing (but mentioned) was Battlestar Galatica (and the remake with Boomer the Cylon) and the short stint of the super-Marine-pilot-infantry-in-fighters-and-cargo-boxes Space Above and Beyond. Earth 2 started out OK, but fizzled too quickly. V... now that was decent in both movie and TV series form. There's also Andromeda (some good, some bad), Earth the Final Conflict (ack!), Alien Nation (groan) and War of the Worlds (laughable after the pilot). And what happened to Robby, Twikie, Logan's Run and Planet of the Apes?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Brian King
I loved Dr. Who. (snip) Some of the best Sci-Fi ever.

Star Trek has consumed a huge part of my life...between the old and new shows, video games, movies, books, fold-out board games, role playing games, and so on... it would rank second after Dr. Who.

Star Wars gets a nod, but gets a big negative mark for the two new movies. Fun to watch, but are such shabby stories it shames the series.
Glad you see you are a fellow Whovian Brian! Somehow I figured that our Time Lord friend wouldn't get as many votes as Star Wars/Trek, but he's in the lead at the moment!

I have to agree with you about the Star Wars films - I must have seen the original trilogy several dozen times, I've watched TPM and AOTC only twice each - which says it all really.

Originally posted by Lance Williams
The original Star Wars trilogy was great. I used to watch Battlestar Galactica, get all trashed and go out "Cylon hunting". Star Trek Deep Space Nine was OK (hot chicks), Since then I don't watch much sci-fi stuff at all. The most recent Star Wars movies were full of terrible acting, but great special effects. Thank God the Lord of the Rings finally made it to film (and was well done).
I don't really "do" fantasy (unless you count Harry Potter I suppose) and I've not seen any of the LOTR films yet - but I have told myself that as soon as they are all out on DVD, I will spend a day watching them all. :horse:

Originally posted by chrisvalla
Had to go with SG1. SW died when they jumped backwards in time. ST had it's ups and downs -down right now- (we all know the rule about odd numbered movies right?) B5 was good... and then it's time had passed. I never really watched Dr. Who, though it had cool theme music. Blake's 7? No idea.

I was so :rolleyes: disappointed at not seeing Space 1999 on the list. Also missing (but mentioned) was Battlestar Galatica (and the remake with Boomer the Cylon) and the short stint of the super-Marine-pilot-infantry-in-fighters-and-cargo-boxes Space Above and Beyond. Earth 2 started out OK, but fizzled too quickly. V... now that was decent in both movie and TV series form. There's also Andromeda (some good, some bad), Earth the Final Conflict (ack!), Alien Nation (groan) and War of the Worlds (laughable after the pilot). And what happened to Robby, Twikie, Logan's Run and Planet of the Apes?
I wish to formally apologise to everyone for missing off their favourites (make the most of it, when I am Supreme Leader and Emperor I will be seen to be totally infallible and thus the word "apology" will not even appear in my vocabulary). I had considered putting Space: 1999 on the list, but I thought it would get even less votes than Doctor Who!

I agree that SW "died" when it went back in time - but then so has ST with "Enterprise". Talk about revisionist history!!

Blake's 7 is something you really need to check out - ignore the dodgy sets and cardboard spaceships, the scripts are, for the most part, fantastic, there's a super-sexy villainess in charge of the fascistic military and there was no happy ending for our band of freedom fighters...

Space Above and Beyond was great, and had Lee Ermey as the Drill Sergeant in the pilot episode! The only unrealistic thing for me was that the fully-trained fighter pilots were also expected to do regular "grunt" missions as well.

I also missed off the X-Files. But then, I was never really sure if that was Science Fiction or..something else.

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Dr. S.,

As for LOTR on DVD get the extended versions. They may slow things down a little bit (hey, whats an extra 1 1/2 hours when your talking 10 hours total), but the additional/extended scenes answer questions that are not answered in the theatric cut and add richness and depth to the story.

Also, the "making off" discs make you have even more respect for the artists, artisans, armorers, actors, directors, etc. that dedicated as much as seven years to bring this epic to the screen. :horse: Look a rider of Rohan......

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by ChickenSalad
[Bnuf said [/B]
Hey ChickenSalad, between this thread and the Gilligan's Island one, you're really cornering the market with pictures of gorgeous women, you know that?

:bowdown:

Dr. S.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hear that their planning on making "The Hobbit" soon.
I hope so. The book was an incredible read, considering it was supposed to be a childrens book.
Tolkein was a near genius when it comes to writing.

Mark
Deo Vindice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by last_cav1971
I hear that their planning on making "The Hobbit" soon.
The last I heard was that there was some dispute over the rights. It could take some years to resolve (more money for the Lawyers that way).

Peter Jackson was quite happy about the delay though, since apparently he's doing a remake of King Kong next.

Dr. S.

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Methinks the Good doctor voted for the other Doctor on basis of national pride.

I also watched it as a kid,(Which one had the fellow wearing the cricket outfit? I was 14 when those were shown and hat the hots for a girl that was on at the time LOL)

Currently,I enjoy watching SG-1 whenever I get the opportunity.
(bit O trivia-I just bought a home 5 miles from Richard Dean Anderson's hometown-thought I'd throw that in)