Star Wars: Battlefront is out!!!

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just have to say I am HAPPY I have this game. In 1977, my uncle stood in line with me to see Star Wars and my imagination took off from there. The spacecraft simualtors were cool and I love them, but you wanted to fight it out on the planet. And now I have that chance.

In the Battle of Hoth, I spawned as a Rebel pilot and jumped in a snowspeeder, as the cave rocked with the sound of battle I took the snowspeeder with the others out into the battle. I turned the corner and my heart sang and my mouth dropped. In front of me was the Empire and the mighty AT-ATs. It was great. The AT-ATs opened up and it was just like the movies. I was living the dream!! And in our squadron was Commander Luke Skywalker!!!

And to my surprise the bots are smarter than the bots from Battlefield, it made the experience good!!

BigMik1

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it just Rebels vs. Stormtroopers, or can you play as Clone Troopers and Battledroids? That could have been another game I heard about, maybe...

Thought if you can blast Ewoks, it's all good. :ar15:

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Naw I heard you could do the latter from what I saw on the long commercial version and what I read in a "next-to-release-preview"...

Patrocles

Reaction score
BarcelonaBlom said:
I will get that game to cap Ewoks like in the commercial!
yeah, I saw the commercial on Foxsports and that final scene of the Ewok getting cap was hilareous! Does anyone know if Jar-Jar's people are in the galactic civil war game timeframe?
I would love to send some energy bolts their way, too!
:D

Patrocles

Reaction score
BigMik1 said:
I just have to say I am HAPPY I have this game. In 1977, my uncle stood in line with me to see Star Wars and my imagination took off from there. The spacecraft simualtors were cool and I love them, but you wanted to fight it out on the planet. And now I have that chance.

In the Battle of Hoth, I spawned as a Rebel pilot and jumped in a snowspeeder, as the cave rocked with the sound of battle I took the snowspeeder with the others out into the battle. I turned the corner and my heart sang and my mouth dropped. In front of me was the Empire and the mighty AT-ATs. It was great. The AT-ATs opened up and it was just like the movies. I was living the dream!! And in our squadron was Commander Luke Skywalker!!!

And to my surprise the bots are smarter than the bots from Battlefield, it made the experience good!!

BigMik1
cool! sounds like you are part of the SW films!

Have you tried the online game portion?

How are the graphics and sound quality? I hope it isn't too out of date in these areas.

Use the force!

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just checked out Gamespot, and they had a news announcement for Battlefront. You can play as the Rebel Alliance, Imperial Army, Clone Army, and Droid Army. I wonder if you are limited to Rebel-Imperial and Clone-Droid, or if you can do Imperial-Clone. That would be confusing, wouldn't it? Here's the story:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/21/news_6108059.html

and the GameSpace page:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/starwarsbattlefront/index.html

BigMik1, could you post your further thoughts on the game, like specific thoughts on gameplay modes and the different armies?

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay guys here is another report!!!

You can fight the Civil War (Empire vs. Rebels) and the Clone Wars (Trade Federation vs. The Republic).

Units:

Rebel Alliance

Rebel Soldier
Rebel Vanguard - the bazzoka guy!!
Rebel Pilot - These guys can be medics and vehicle repairmen.
Rebel Marksman - sniper
Wookiee Smuggler - Just a good strong Wookiee with a Bowcaster and time bombs!!

Galactic Empire

Stormtrooper - the standard!!
Shock Trooper - Bazzoka guy!!
Imperial Pilot
Scout Trooper - sniper
Dark Trooper - Remember the guys from the first Star Wars RTS games, well here they are and they got jetpacks and a friggin blaster cannon!!

Republic

Clone Trooper
Arc Trooper - bazzoka guy!!
Clone Pilot
Clone Sharpshooter
Jet Trooper

CIS (Trade Federation)

Battle Droid - the guys in Phantom!!
Super Battle Droid - the big sliver droids in Clone!!
Asssult Droid - Bazzoka guy!
Pilot Droid
Droid Sniper
Droideka (Destroyer Droid) - These are my favorite!!! Remember those droids that rolled up on you and then spraing up with four lasers pointing at you!!! This is it!! It turns into a wheel and rolls, then unfolds into a monster with sheilds!!

It has every vehicle you can think of!! I like the Republic Gunships that was in Clone.

The graphics are very good and put you in the game. You feel you are on those Star Wars planets. I had my sound cranked up and I could hear the sounds of the movies.

The gameplay modes:

Single Player

Historical Campaigns - play battles from the Clone Wars or Civil War. Like the Battle of Naboo, you get to play the Droid Army and go toe to toe with Jar-Jar folks. I loved every minute of that!!! In one battle you fight with the Droid Army against Wookiees and they are tough!!
Galactic Conquest - A strategy game using the Star Wars history!!
Instant Action - jump into one of the battles and fight from either side. Rebel vs. Empire or Clone vs. Droid, sorry no mixing of eras!!

Multiplayer (haven't went deep into this one yet!!)

Love the game and worth my $50!! They were faithful to the Universe and that's alright with me.

Took out some Ewoks and didn't feel bad at all. Oh and the speeder bikes are tooooo fast!!

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BigMik1 said:

BigMik1
Droooooooooooolllllllllllll.....

Dr. S.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is another report from a guy on the Battlefront.com General forums:

Scott B
posted September 22, 2004 07:16 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not bad - in some ways this game is better than I expected.

The gameplay should be familiar to anyone that's played BF1942 - it's just Star Wars instead of "Beer and Pretzels WWII."

The graphics are quite nice; I've been running them at medium detail levels at 1024x768 and have been suitably impressed; I haven't messed around to see how well my P4 2.4ghz + 512mb RAM + GF4 Ti 4200 machine can run it, but it's ran very smoothly and looked pretty good at these settings, so once I can snag a GF 6600 GT and drop it in my machine I expect it to really shine.

They seem to have done a fair amount of work trying to balance gameplay and authenticity (realism isn't the right word, heh). Vehicles, especially heavy vehicles, are extremely tough; you pretty much don't take down an AT-AT without a tow cable, for example.

They have a few other nice tweaks that I like over BF1942. When you jump as an infantryman your weapon displaces off to the side, which means you can't effectively shoot, so bunny-hopping is discouraged. When capturing a control point it actually shows you how quickly it's changing over and whether it's being contested. There are third parties on the maps - Gungans, Geonosians and Ewoks as allies of one side, and Tusken Raiders as a hostile third party.

Speeder bikes on Endor are very cool - with the front end of the bike sticking out just like in the shots in the movies, and the speed about right, it looks just like the chase scenes in RotJ.

So I'd say it's not bad. It has a few nice touches, but it's really just an improved version of an existing game with a theme I like. Of course, this describes Dawn of War, Rome: Total War, and Evil Genius, and hell, CMBB for that matter. If you haven't played BF1942 and you like this sort of thing you'll probably love SW Battlefront. If you've played BF1942 it's good but mostly nothing new.

Scott

My thing, if you played BF1942 and love the Star Wars Universe, you will love this game as I do.

BigMik1

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FallenAngelASB said:
Can the storm troopers aim the blaster rifles?
Or can they still not hit the broad side of a barn point blank on full automatic?
Unlike the movies on this point, they act like the Stormtroopers they are!!

BigMik1

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Peachy Carnehan said:
Quite honestly, this is one of the best-looking star wars games I've seen. I can't wait to try it out!
I totaly agree, even better than Knights of the Old Republic! Maybe the success of Knights made Lucasarts really work on this game than just throwing out a dud.

BigMik1

Patrocles

Reaction score
BigMik1 said:
Unlike the movies on this point, they act like the Stormtroopers they are!!

BigMik1
ha ha! IIRC someone stated when you run and/or bunnyhop your gun moves to the side making it very very difficult to hit anything while engaged in these gymnastics...please tell me this is true!! :cheeky:

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
ha ha! IIRC someone stated when you run and/or bunnyhop your gun moves to the side making it very very difficult to hit anything while engaged in these gymnastics...please tell me this is true!! :cheeky:
True, they killed the bunny hop move!! But you can use the jet packs on some of the units to make quick get aways. :D

BigMik1

Patrocles

Reaction score
BigMik1 said:
True, they killed the bunny hop move!! But you can use the jet packs on some of the units to make quick get aways. :D

BigMik1
wow! great! The bunnyhop move is dead!
I recall first playing BF1942 and seeing an enemy soldier approaching. thinking realworld I dropped prone for a better aim and the enemy starts bunnyhopping AND hitting me with his gun!! wtf!?? ha ha

p.s. and doesn't it seem silly that it was the SW game and not the WW2 or vietnam game to do this first?? :(