Star Wars: Battlefront is out!!!

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
wow! great! The bunnyhop move is dead!
I recall first playing BF1942 and seeing an enemy soldier approaching. thinking realworld I dropped prone for a better aim and the enemy starts bunnyhopping AND hitting me with his gun!! wtf!?? ha ha

p.s. and doesn't it seem silly that it was the SW game and not the WW2 or vietnam game to do this first?? :(
True, it even tries to simulate getting down and up from a prone position. I think they do it too slow. If you are under fire you are hitting that ground fast, not as slow as SW:BF does it.

BigMik1

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed last night that when you shoot down a corridor with light the laser bolt glare travels down with it. Very cool.

BigMik1

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow they killed bunny hopping that makes me far more likely to pick it up. Dose any one know what the limits for the pc version online are, in that how many pepople can you have in one game at a time.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Panzer-War said:
Wow they killed bunny hopping that makes me far more likely to pick it up. Dose any one know what the limits for the pc version online are, in that how many pepople can you have in one game at a time.
Man, I think I'm going to pick this game up over the weekend.

from the Lucas site...multiplayer numbers depend on your system. SWB can only handle 32 players for PC. IIRC BF1942 and BFV can handle up to 64 players...maybe SWB is more advanced in the graphics department?

Multiplayer: 16 players on PlayStation 2 with a dedicated host,
24 players on Xbox with a dedicated or non-dedicated host,
32 players on PC with a dedicated or non-dedicated Server
Split-screen mode for multiplayer 'offline' play.
Battle in more than 12 environments across 10 diverse planets from the classic Trilogy and Clone Wars eras including Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, Kamino and Geonosis.

Marines

Reaction score
This game is meant to be played online so if you don't have HSI and feel you want to play the single player missions think again. The game is one of the best sci-fi online shooters there is right now and I mean ONLINE, you can forget the single player portion of SW:BF because it just doesn’t work.

The AI is so inept you will see troops just standing around, Darth Vader playing with his light saber in the grass, AT-ST’s walking into trees over and over again and if you decide to hop in a move it then hop back out it will go right back to what it was doing previously (walking into trees). It’s also a system hog when it comes to SP. You better have a pretty nice rig to deal with the constant lag associated with the bots and their AI delegation even though they really don’t do anything anyway.

So stick with the MP aspect of the game (its great) and leave the SP debacle at the door.

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess you mean 32 per side for the pc thats a little disapointg 64 would be acceptable. Only problem is in picking witch game to buy. there is RomeTW FullSpectWar StarWarsBF Hmmm whitch to choose ill probly wait to see witch one is put on sale first.

I would think no one would pick it up unless they meant to play online. Hopefuly they all have highspeed by now.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
This game is meant to be played online so if you don't have HSI and feel you want to play the single player missions think again. The game is one of the best sci-fi online shooters there is right now and I mean ONLINE, you can forget the single player portion of SW:BF because it just doesn’t work.

The AI is so inept you will see troops just standing around, Darth Vader playing with his light saber in the grass, AT-ST’s walking into trees over and over again and if you decide to hop in a move it then hop back out it will go right back to what it was doing previously (walking into trees). It’s also a system hog when it comes to SP. You better have a pretty nice rig to deal with the constant lag associated with the bots and their AI delegation even though they really don’t do anything anyway.

So stick with the MP aspect of the game (its great) and leave the SP debacle at the door.
Stop playing on the Easy mode!!! I put it on normal and hard and the AI does just fine in Single Player. The battles are intense and very cool. Many folKs are just fine with the Single Player, but everyone knows it's a Multiplayer game.

I have been to the SW:BF sites and there are many folks gripping about everything as usual. But, many people like me feel the AI is smarter. And I wish Darth Vader was playing in the grass when I saw him, he was slicing folks up left and right in my battle. AT-ST walking into trees, I want them!! Because I was trapped by two of them on Tatooine and had to fight my butt off to survive in my bad A$$ Rebel Combat Landspeeder!!! And find me some soldiers to stand around and I can take some control points faster!!!

So take the mode of easy and see some great battles!!! Don't leave this at the door are you will be missing out on some great action.

On this being a system hog.....PLEASE!!! This game is the most stable game I have had in a long time!! Installed fine and plays and looks good.

BigMik1

Last edited:

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzer-War said:
I guess you mean 32 per side for the pc thats a little disapointg 64 would be acceptable. Only problem is in picking witch game to buy. there is RomeTW FullSpectWar StarWarsBF Hmmm whitch to choose ill probly wait to see witch one is put on sale first.

I would think no one would pick it up unless they meant to play online. Hopefuly they all have highspeed by now.
Luckly I don't have to debate, too old for that. I bought CoD:UO, to complete a great series and then SW:BF, to live a dream to fight on the ground of the Star Wars universe since I have been growing up with the movies since 1977!! Warhammer I heard is very good, but don't like RTS too much. Then R:TW, the "fantasy" units and the wild special effects of soldiers flying around when hit with horses, kind of turned me off. So I guess now I will wait for Star Wars: Commando!!

BigMik1

Patrocles

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to try out SWB last night at my buds pad and I have to say I did not like it. The game looks great, sounds greats, and runs smooth but the player movement speeds are way too hyper, superduper sonic! :nuts: Player movement is even more hyper and frantic than BF! And I thought only JOTR suffered from this problem! ha ha I still managed to run up more kills than deaths (for me that is damn good! ha ha).

If you like running, gunning and the Star Wars theme I highly recommend picking it up. If you have a low 'twitch factor' this game is not too fun and you might consider waiting for modders to increase the realism (but something tells me Dictator Lucas will not allow this to happen?).

Marines

Reaction score
BigMik1 said:
Stop playing on the Easy mode!!! I put it on normal and hard and the AI does just fine in Single Player. The battles are intense and very cool. Many folKs are just fine with the Single Player, but everyone knows it's a Multiplayer game.

I have been to the SW:BF sites and there are many folks gripping about everything as usual. But, many people like me feel the AI is smarter. And I wish Darth Vader was playing in the grass when I saw him, he was slicing folks up left and right in my battle. AT-ST walking into trees, I want them!! Because I was trapped by two of them on Tatooine and had to fight my butt off to survive in my bad A$$ Rebel Combat Landspeeder!!! And find me some soldiers to stand around and I can take some control points faster!!!

So take the mode of easy and see some great battles!!! Don't leave this at the door are you will be missing out on some great action.

On this being a system hog.....PLEASE!!! This game is the most stable game I have had in a long time!! Installed fine and plays and looks good.

BigMik1
I don't own it and neither do I plan to. These were the results from my companies play test of the game on various difficulty levels. Like I said its meant to be a online game and yes the single player vs. bot mode is lacking compared to BF:V and BF:1942.

Its not a system hog when you crank the bot count up?...Ha Ha. The more bots you have on a map the more the CPU is engaged and the slower the game will become. The minimum system requirements are a joke and when I say this I am speaking about the single player mode and not the online componet.

I never said it was unstable nor did I say it did not install or play fine. People with a less than up to date rig will and do experience problems in the SP mode.

But of course it was designed to be a MMOG.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
I finally had a chance to try out SWB last night at my buds pad and I have to say I did not like it. The game looks great, sounds greats, and runs smooth but the player movement speeds are way too hyper, superduper sonic! :nuts: Player movement is even more hyper and frantic than BF! And I thought only JOTR suffered from this problem! ha ha I still managed to run up more kills than deaths (for me that is damn good! ha ha).

If you like running, gunning and the Star Wars theme I highly recommend picking it up. If you have a low 'twitch factor' this game is not too fun and you might consider waiting for modders to increase the realism (but something tells me Dictator Lucas will not allow this to happen?).
You know modders will do it somehow!! But, I hope they patch it. BF was killed by gamers when it first came out, then they patched it. This game has great potential. Seems me and others would like to have the "perfect" game, but alas it won't come. But, maybe one day.

I like the game, but maybe my like of the Star Wars universe is making my heart fly and my patience hold. ;)

BigMik1

Last edited:

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
I don't own it and neither do I plan to. These were the results from my companies play test of the game on various difficulty levels. Like I said its meant to be a online game and yes the single player vs. bot mode is lacking compared to BF:V and BF:1942.

Its not a system hog when you crank the bot count up?...Ha Ha. The more bots you have on a map the more the CPU is engaged and the slower the game will become. The minimum system requirements are a joke and when I say this I am speaking about the single player mode and not the online componet.

I never said it was unstable nor did I say it did not install or play fine. People with a less than up to date rig will and do experience problems in the SP mode.

But of course it was designed to be a MMOG.
So you don't own it.....okay, thanks for the info. I like it but I am only one guy with one little opinion. :D

BigMik1

Jon@lbc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can be the droids you can even be those dudes that put up the shields and roll around and shooting ewoks is more fun than shooting a barrel of monkeys

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shooting Ewoks, is too cool and Jar-Jar's people are fun to blow away!! I think Lucas went stupid or totally commerical when he came up with the Ewoks and Jar Jar!!

BigMik1

suchey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the game, but its in SORE need of a patch. The server browser built into the game is completely unacceptable and joining games doesn't always work (reports servers as full when they are not sometimes or times out). I spent more time trying to get into a multi player game than actually playing it. If your thinking of buying the game and plan to play on-line I'd recommend waiting for a patch (the first 2 patches didn't do anything but make the server browser worse). If you plan to play the AI only then its probably OK.

A couple of complaints I have...

-the maps are too small for the air units, you can fly for a maybe 10 or 20 seconds before you hit the maps boundaries.

-small arms damage is very low. It takes up wards of 5 or 6 shots to take down an enemy unless you get a solid headshot...and even then its at least 2 to kill. (sniping and distance shots are terrible due to the low damage, slow laser bolt speed, and high speed of the player.

-the laser bolts move too slowly...and the players move too quickly

-the frame rate is capped at 20 (max of 30 if your on a server that has its tic rate set higher). 20 frames per second is just too slow for me. That might be OK on a console, but not for PC. It makes gunning in a snow speeder, or rolling as the battle droid almost impossible due to the frame stutter. (the FPS is NOT locked for the single player portion)

-The dedicated server released for the game has zero options as well. I mean NOTHING. You cant even kick a player out.

-The Jedi AI is rather weak. You can stand directly behind an enemy Jedi sometimes and he wont do anything but stand there with his thumb up his bum.

-The respawn tickets are too few and no option for the server to change it. MANY on-line battles are far too short...sometimes lasting only 5 minutes or so.

-Each time the map changes, the server disconnects and reconnects EVERYONE. This means that you can potentially lose your spot on the server between map loads.

The game needs a good deal of work. The basic game play is decent, but if your not a big Star Wars fan and you plan to use the game on-line, then I would wait. The game play has a solid base to it and I guess playing the AI is OK, but I don't care for AI battles. As it stands, its too difficult to get into a decent on-line game and the entire system smacks of console port. I truly do think the game could be fun as hell, but it really needs a LARGE patch to fix some of these basic issues. Theres really no excuse for a game (especially one that is geared toward internet play) to be released in this state.

Patrocles

Reaction score
suchey said:
I like the game, but its in SORE need of a patch. The server browser built into the game is completely unacceptable and joining games doesn't always work (reports servers as full when they are not sometimes or times out). I spent more time trying to get into a multi player game than actually playing it. If your thinking of buying the game and plan to play on-line I'd recommend waiting for a patch (the first 2 patches didn't do anything but make the server browser worse). If you plan to play the AI only then its probably OK.

A couple of complaints I have...

-the maps are too small for the air units, you can fly for a maybe 10 or 20 seconds before you hit the maps boundaries.

-small arms damage is very low. It takes up wards of 5 or 6 shots to take down an enemy unless you get a solid headshot...and even then its at least 2 to kill. (sniping and distance shots are terrible due to the low damage, slow laser bolt speed, and high speed of the player.

-the laser bolts move too slowly...and the players move too quickly

-the frame rate is capped at 20 (max of 30 if your on a server that has its tic rate set higher). 20 frames per second is just too slow for me. That might be OK on a console, but not for PC. It makes gunning in a snow speeder, or rolling as the battle droid almost impossible due to the frame stutter. (the FPS is NOT locked for the single player portion)

-The dedicated server released for the game has zero options as well. I mean NOTHING. You cant even kick a player out.

-The Jedi AI is rather weak. You can stand directly behind an enemy Jedi sometimes and he wont do anything but stand there with his thumb up his bum.

-The respawn tickets are too few and no option for the server to change it. MANY on-line battles are far too short...sometimes lasting only 5 minutes or so.

-Each time the map changes, the server disconnects and reconnects EVERYONE. This means that you can potentially lose your spot on the server between map loads.

The game needs a good deal of work. The basic game play is decent, but if your not a big Star Wars fan and you plan to use the game on-line, then I would wait. The game play has a solid base to it and I guess playing the AI is OK, but I don't care for AI battles. As it stands, its too difficult to get into a decent on-line game and the entire system smacks of console port. I truly do think the game could be fun as hell, but it really needs a LARGE patch to fix some of these basic issues. Theres really no excuse for a game (especially one that is geared toward internet play) to be released in this state.
I agree 100% with your comments! This game does seem rushed out and more of a bare-bones version (I wonder if lucasarts is just getting greedy?).

I would love to see modders get a chance to make this game more realistic (i.e. more in line with the SW universe) than in the game...IMHO, at the moment I'm playing in a pale imitation of the SW universe.

Last edited: