Star Trek 2: Into the Darkness :thumup:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hope this one is better. I hated the last Star Trek reboot. It was almost a repudiation of everything the original series was based on.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hope this one is better. I hated the last Star Trek reboot. It was almost a repudiation of everything the original series was based on.
Couldn't agree with you more Doc. JJ Abrams in a stroke invalidated and usurped everything from the old Star Trek cannon. In any event I think he's the worst, most overrated writer/director to emerge from Hollywood since Ron Howard. I mean, Lost, Fringe, Super8, the screenplay for Armageddon? I rest my case. Can't understand why his Star Trek reboot did so well? When you take out the beloved Star Trek characters, it's a pretty average scif action adventure film with good CGI and little else. Anyway, I fear that JJ will kill Star Trek and Disney will kill Star Wars. :( Fortunately though there are a few really excellent new scifi/fantasy milieus emerging like George RR Martin's 'Game of Thrones' to replace them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They probably wanted to start from a blank slate. I mean, there are entire star trek cannons where virtually every incident involving star trek has been mapped out already in time-line. I picked up one of the star trek encyclopedias at a discount some years back. An entirely new timeline means entirely new possibilities. I kind of liked the new star trek, although the spock-uhura connection was a little much for me, it's just not logical, it wasn't ponfuur :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is why they should just let certain cherished franchises die out gracefully. You have an entire universe of sci-fi stories out there waiting to be told! Why oh why do they insist on sticking with the same ones over and over and over again?!? :rolleyes: Just grow a backbone and launch a new franchise for Pete's sake. Star Trek and Star Wars wouldn't even exist but for Roddenberry and Lucas launching their own franchises. Do they think that sci-fi is tapped out of new ideas?!? This is why I give credit to Vin Diesel for sticking with his Riddick franchise.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is why they should just let certain cherished franchises die out gracefully. You have an entire universe of sci-fi stories out there waiting to be told! Why oh why do they insist on sticking with the same ones over and over and over again?!? :rolleyes: Just grow a backbone and launch a new franchise for Pete's sake. Star Trek and Star Wars wouldn't even exist but for Roddenberry and Lucas launching their own franchises. Do they think that sci-fi is tapped out of new ideas?!? This is why I give credit to Vin Diesel for sticking with his Riddick franchise.
Well-said Scott. I think George RR Martin and HBO proved with Game of Thrones that there are indeed other emerging franchises out there that are every bit as good (and maybe better) than the old ones. Still in all, I would hate to see Star Trek and Star Wars die, probably mostly for the nostalgia I feel for them. Speaking of emerging IP's, should I bother with Hunger Games? Seems aimed at a very young audience.

Speaking of Riddick, I need to see the other two movies. I gave Pitch Black four stars on Netflix.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well-said Scott. I think George RR Martin and HBO proved with Game of Thrones that there are indeed other emerging franchises out there that are every bit as good (and maybe better) than the old ones.
But Hollywood still can't bring itself to embrace a new fantasy franchise, hence why we are getting all these fairytale movies (Hansel and Gretel, Red, Sleeping Beauty and the Huntsman, etc.). They want a fantasy setting, but can't muster the courage to try something new! LOL!

Still in all, I would hate to see Star Trek and Star Wars die, probably mostly for the nostalgia I feel for them. Speaking of emerging IP's, should I bother with Hunger Games? Seems aimed at a very young audience.
I thought Hunger Games was waaaay overrated. Not a bad movie - it is competently made - but nothing to match the hype. Not only that, but the movie oozes teen angst, something that I just couldn't relate to at my age. :) I wrote a comprehensive review here.

Speaking of Riddick, I need to see the other two movies. I gave Pitch Black four stars on Netflix.
Pitch Black was great, the sequel not so much. It was okay, but it should have been so much more. The problem with it was that there were just too many ideas and plot points packed into the sequel. What ultimately happens is that the initial plot, involving an invasion by a conquering race, is shelved for the majority of the movie while Riddick runs around gathering his new team. By the time we return to the main story, we don't care anymore as we got so distracted by the other stuff. :) Worst of all, when we do finally return to the main plot, the denouement is clearly rushed so they could still cram it into this already long-ish film, making the whole thing feel even more sloppy. A tragic misfire in writing. Still, I found a lot of interesting ideas and fresh settings in the sequel, so that is why I am glad to see he is persisting with it.