Stand at Rouen.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do the French Foreign Legion 458s and 248s get increased morale when broken? Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks George. My opponent even disputes that they are French Foreign Legion. We were deciding among the various great scenarios of this module, and I read three or four of the cards. Tim

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The unit was made up of former Foreign Legion personnel; and how they fought, I decided to give them the 8 Morale, but not the +1 Broken side morale.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, I assume that these scenarios are relatively new. This one looks like it favors the German attacker. I am setting up the 10 and a half French 458s; they look like they are stretched thinly with a substantial area to defend even with the three fortified building and three MGs. The roadblocks should help. I hope that the somewhat superior French tanks will make a difference. Have players here have had success as the French defender? Tim

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
George, I assume that these scenarios are relatively new. This one looks like it favors the German attacker. I am setting up the 10 and a half French 458s; they look like they are stretched thinly with a substantial area to defend even with the three fortified building and three MGs. The roadblocks should help. I hope that the somewhat superior French tanks will make a difference. Have players here have had success as the French defender? Tim
Tim, I believe W-L recorded of various playtest version was German 7 French 6. I played the French a couple of times and won preventing the Germans from exiting enough VP. Hint: Don't spread out and try to defend the entire width and watch out for the German VBM. I would suggest you review the Journal 12 article: "A Dose of Antifreeze", this article helped me to better understand the VBM rules and my options.

Yes, the French tanks and armoured cars help out and their random entry makes it hard for the Germans to defend against. In my last playing of the scenario, my opponent and I had a tank duel near the stone wall around 20I9, when it was all over, 2x Pz IIF, 2x Pz IIIF, 1x Pz IVD, 3x AMD 35 and 2x Laffly W15T were destroyed.

In this scenario, I had sufficient forces to along the south edge to put down at least a MMG and a HMG fire lane, forcing the German infantry to have cross them in order to exit. The German was forced to decide to either exit his AFVs or try to VBM my MGs to stop the fire lanes so his infantry could get off. He decided to exit his AFVs (Pz IIF, IIIF, & Pz IVD) for 15VP, but was unable to exit the necessary 18VP of infantry.

Placement of Fortified buildings are crucial as French are Fanatic in them, meaning no Cowering and +1 Morale.

Cheers

George

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, George for the good advise. I am not sure how that the French can defend the North edge without spreading out. I have two plus hours to figure it out. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, You were correct. The scenario seems well balanced. My German opponent was very aggressive and I rolled generally well. At least two snake eyes, one of which killed my 8-0 leader by a sniper check.. Both of those rolls killed deployed 247 half squads. Anther DR of 3 killed a full 467 squad in the open. My boresighted French MMG broke a 9-1 leader and three 467s, on of which ELRed to a 447. On top of that, I retained rate of fire, and rolled a 6. Resulting in a one morale check for the entire stack. (These rolls has yet to be resolved, see thread on main page.) The only other loss was the French MMG, which broke attempting to kill or stun a Panzer 1 which had come adjacent to the machine gun in the wake of its firing on the big German stack. Statistically, the yet to be resolved, one morale check on the broken German stack should produce some more dead Germans, a few more 467s reduced to 247s, at least. And could kill or wound the broken German 9-1 leader with a roll of 8 or more on his morale check. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, I put my fortified buildings and my AT guns in the back of my defense. I hope that this was a good choice. My opponent has nearly surrounded two French 458s in the back half stone building in 49/S10. I may break the 458s voluntarily to escape from the jaws of his advance phase. And there is a 18+ advancing fire group that may break them first. This is a 18+4 shot. Not a certain attack, but potentially powerful. Tim

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you have ask yourself "should I move"?" it probably a turn too late...

I would like to see an AAR on the scenario, some pictures would help with context.

Good Luck and Cheers

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, I will try. I am tech challenged. I can ask my tenant. You are correct, however, I should have withdrawn both of my flanks on my turn one. He advanced by CX on the first turn in the center. Then on the second turn under the cover of smoke he advanced aggressively into the center. Then he has almost cut me off by being aggressive with his German tanks in the center and on my right flank.. I did move one French 458 with a LMG into the gully and towards the threatened center. I have decided to voluntarily break both of the French 458s which are threatened with annihilation by a horde of German infantry. He seems likely to sneak out tonight under the cover of his employment and his spouse visiting her brother. Another late night battle forecast. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, My tenant advised me that my file photographs are too large. I have to put them in a zip file, whatever that is. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, This is Germsn turn two, before the advancing fire phase. We stopped the game in the middle of the turn because of the question about the boresighted hex and the German broken units in hex 49/V7, having to take a one moral check. It was 445 in the morning on last Sunday. Tim

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, I will try. I am tech challenged. I can ask my tenant. You are correct, however, I should have withdrawn both of my flanks on my turn one. He advanced by CX on the first turn in the center. Then on the second turn under the cover of smoke he advanced aggressively into the center. Then he has almost cut me off by being aggressive with his German tanks in the center and on my right flank.. I did move one French 458 with a LMG into the gully and towards the threatened center. I have decided to voluntarily break both of the French 458s which are threatened with annihilation by a horde of German infantry. He seems likely to sneak out tonight under the cover of his employment and his spouse visiting her brother. Another late night battle forecast. Tim
Is this Don1 or Don2 ?

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
None of the above. Dr. Don lives in his mansion. Dr. Donald Carlucci lives in Sparta, New Jersey. Neither of them live at my house. My opponent is named Steve, who has played ASL with me for more than 30 years. Dr. Don and I played Squad Leader and DNO in the 1970s. I am old. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By the way, Don 2 has completed the new analysis and revision of the tank armor in the Avalon Hill game Toburk for the notorious company which has seldom been mentioned in a favorable light here. He has no idea when that they are going to put out their revised edition. I think that they bought out the rights. How can they mess that up? Don several years ago put out a classified edition of modern tank warfare based upon ASL for the Army War College in my state. The unnamed company is putting out a non classified ASL modern tank warfare module, which has been in design phase for a considerable number of years. I know nothing of that project. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The completion of German turn one was eventful. First, the postponed one morale check on the German stack resulted in the 8-1 leader wounding, the 467 reducing to 247, the 447 reducing to a 237, and the other 467 passing. The big stack had most of the large MG and was a blow to German side. On the advancing fire a 25 plus 4 resulted in a three morale check on a DR of 3. One French 458 failed its 2 ELR and the other passed. On the subsequent route phase, the 457 failed to pass its routing check while the 458 passed.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I just want to know who I am rooting for. I was hoping is was Don2, winning as the German.

Last edited: