Stalingrad at 75

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Nice photos!

Incidentally, Volgograd will host several football World Cup matches next year. A new stadium is under construction, next to Mamaev Kurgan. A good way for football fans to do a combo (EXC: Americans and Italians, whose teams fail to qualify).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Operation Hubertus ended 75 years ago today.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember a book I bought about Stalingrad, it was mostly pictures. The first photo showed a close up of some 6th Army soldiers walking in a long column on a road towards Stalingrad. They were young, full of confidence. The last picture of the book was a huge pile of dead German soldiers, emaciated, frozen. Those were the pictures that really put Stalingrad into perspective for me. Great article and photos. Thanks!

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Nice photos!

Incidentally, Volgograd will host several football World Cup matches next year. A new stadium is under construction, next to Mamaev Kurgan. A good way for football fans to do a combo (EXC: Americans and Italians, whose teams fail to qualify).
much much better we failed because we have more time to play ASL and have sex

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm not sure the rest of your countries population agree with you.
Ask yourself: Football (soccer, whatever) or sex?
Now pose the question again.

As an aside, I am disgusted by that monstrously monetized circus brimming of doping, corruption, and commercials that is referred to by the grand expression of 'sports'.

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I saw it played once by a group of ASLers. They were not so happy game-wise (but they played it for the historical feel).

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought a second hand Turning Point: Stalingrad this summer.
I must give it a try.
Good catch!
Probably my favorite non-ASL game. IMO TP:S portrays the the Stalingrad battle better overall than individual ASL scenarios. Especially if you play the 'extended' game variant.
The map is especially attractive.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We just finished the German turn 1 and yes the three 120mm Rockets did put the hurt on the Russians, Bob put the Rockets right on top of the Y24 factory and killed around 6 squads, my 9-2 and an 8-1, but I feel I am still in the game, he does after all have to attack up the hill, so hopefully my 50cals can do some good death dealing work.

Scott

Tell us what you think of the pre bombardment in that scenario. If it is the one I was thinking about it is quite brutal.