St. Mihiel 18

JeremyScott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing St. Mihiel 18 in COW. I ended up as a draw. I concentrated all my units around the town of St. Mihiel in the southwest corner. My goal was to try and punch a hole through their line and make it all the way to the border itself. Icould see about halfway through that it wasnt going to happen so I changed plans and just started a big war of attrition. I learned the stupidity of attacking a defender with entrenched positions. if he has basically the equal number of men in a hex, you need at least a 3 to 1 superiority in men and a good artilery backing. Maybe next time I can deal that scenario a victory for me :D

Your Womanizing Texan
Jeremy

Crash

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
JeremyScott said:
Just finished playing St. Mihiel 18 in COW.
I just took a draw as well. I think it's because I lost VP points because it took too long and/or lost to many friendy loss penalty points (-12?). I held all the victory hexes??

I figured the US advantage is the tanks. I pushed my tanks up from the southeast almost to the northeast corner and then proceeded across. Half way up I broke off some of the infantry supporting the tanks at a 45 to pinch the pocket. The units originally in the Northwest I pushed southeast, which linked off with the infantry coming the other direction and sealed the pocket. I trapped quite a few German units in the pocket. I was squeezing the pocket from the top and bottom and ran out of turns.

Had a blast!

Last edited:

JeremyScott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Crash, I re did the scneario last night at work, and I realized that I left my flanks open when I concentrated the regiments into division sized units thus causing Danny to out manuever me and defeating my divisions one by one.