St Louis Tournament July 26-28, 2019

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its time again to start thinking about the St. Louis ASL tourney in July. Registration and details to be found here:
http://www.jaburrissite.com/ASLtournament.html

A quick survey of the usual suspects at the Chicago tourney would lead me to believe we will have another good turnout this year, probably in the 25-32 people range, same as last few years. The scenario list is almost done. I will wrap it up and publish it soon, probably in early May, absolutely no later than June 1st. Format will be same as last few years, one older scenario per round and four newer scenarios per round. Each round will have at least one Japanese and/or PTO scenario. A few alternate round scenarios, generally shorter in length or simpler, will also be available for selection. Bring your Hatten map. Those Hatten scenarios will be featured heavily in the list. We will feature a Hatten 8 man mini tourney (or two if demand is sufficient) in rounds 3-5 for those out of the running.

Check back to this thread for the release of the list. Hope to see you in St. Louis in July!

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,

You asked for Bitter Ender scenario feedback over in the Bitter Ender folder, but it probably makes more sense to post it here.

Bill

Doug,

Here is one man’s take on the Bitter Ender scenarios.

Round 1:

RPT141 Volunteers Became Scarce:
(50:50) Pretty balanced. Korean War setting may limit some player’s interests. South Koreans need to be careful about not overcommitting to the defense of the forward village area on Board

DTF-6 Magnificent Beast of Prey: (60:40 pro-German Defender) The Russians face a tough slug into the village area.

FrF93 Wiener Walzer: (55:45 pro-Russian Defender) I feel like if the Russians set up well and bag the expected number of Turn 1 German SPW 251/1s and then concentrate on reducing just one bridge area that this scenario could be hard on the Germans. Please see AAR here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/so-what-scenarios-have-you-played-recently.73136/page-384

WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers: No input, but this saw an awful lot of Round 1 play at Bitter Ender.

RPT160 Willie Und Fritz: (70-30 pro-German Defender) Neil Stanhagen and I played a Friendly of this on Thursday night before the tournament. Neil had a great set up with the two at start German Panthers in Stone VC buildings along the water front. Given the distance and time for the Russians to get the job done, I definitely like the Defenders in this one.

Round 2:

RPT143 Rebel’s Roost:
(55:45 pro-Attacking Americans) Might be more balanced than this if the Defending North Koreans are careful with their two T-34/85s at set up. My opponent set his up such that I could get them in a crossfire pretty early one and then the American FP advantage took over.

FrF94 Death From Above: (50:50) Another quality, non-meat and potatoes offering from the interesting minds at Friendly Fire. Played the first couple of Turns of this to get a sense. Interesting, different, options for both sides.

WO32 Corps Value: (50:50) This Balance assessment is dependent upon how wickedly capable the defending North Korean player is at crafting a quality defense that remains as uncertain as long as possible. The Americans have super quality Marines, but not a lot of them to go around (NOTE the Chapter W Footnote 16 reference in SSR3! You miss it, you most likely lose). Another fine Pete Shelling offering (another of my favorite designers!)

ITR16 Fighting Tank Busters: No input, other than your day may go as your OBA goes. Not my first choice for tournament play.

X12 Nowhere To Hide: Caves, Trenches, and Pillboxes…

Round 3:

DTF-3 True Grit:
(50:50) Doesn’t really get much better than this. A great PTO-light Japanese vs. Dutch affair by Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei from their most excellent Death to Fascism scenario pack. Longer AAR here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/so-what-scenarios-have-you-played-recently.73136/page-384

FrF97 Wrecking the Rentals: (55-45 pro-Russian Attacker) I think the Russian Attackers just need to go balls to the wall in this one and take their lumps but blow by the out-of-place German defenders, get into the VC area and hang on.

DTF-5 AK ‘44: (55:45 pro-Partisan Defender) I lost this as the Partisans in Albany against Gary Mei (a very high quality opponent), but word has it that a Partisan nut in their backfield is hard to break.

Fahrenheit 352: (50:50) I was a Hatten playtester, so it has been awhile, but my two playings of this were both close.

Liberating Bessarabia: No input.

Round 4:

RPT145 Bouncing Check:
(xx:xx) Set it up and played the first two Turns. One needs to be comfortable with the Korean War module Steep Hills (W1.3) before giving this a spin as the Board 81 & 83 LOSs are IMO hard to Grok right out of the box.

WO30 As Luck Would Have It: (55-45 pro-German Attacker) Played a couple of Turns of this. A true “Tourney-sized” scenario that IMO didn’t offer a lot of flavor.

DASL A10: No input.

ASL115Huns of Steel: Not much input. Set it up and thought 9 Turns is really just six as the Hungarians are going to spend the majority of the first 3 Turns getting to the point of engagement. This is on my “To Play List”, just haven’t got there yet.

CtR-7 Desperate Hours: No input. Own it, but haven’t looked at it yet.

Round 5:

DTF-4 Death to Fascism:
(50:50) Another fine offering from Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei from their super awesome Death to Fascism pack. Hell, it’s the totle scenario so it has to be good. Just don’t set up too far forward against Steve Pleva or there will be a price to be paid. ?

FrF98 Amerikanskaya Suka: (52-48 pro-German Defender) Great scenario. Please see my full AAR here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/frf98-amerikanskaya-suka.151652/

ASL137 Khamsin: No input. O for life in DTO.

CtR-20: No input. Own it, but haven’t looked at it yet.

FrF92 Arms Race: (xx:xx) So, Friendly Fire has an awesome reputation for scenarios that make you go “huh” when you first encounter them. Much like their FrF69 To Ashes, a masterpiece, this scenario will basically leave you scratching your head. I don’t want to say too much about it other than play it and enjoy it. :)

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,

You asked for Bitter Ender scenario feedback over in the Bitter Ender folder, but it probably makes more sense to post it here.

Bill

Doug,

Round 1:

(50:50) Pretty balanced. Korean War setting may limit some player’s interests. South Koreans need to be careful about not overcommitting to the defense of the forward village area on Board

DTF-6 Magnificent Beast of Prey: (60:40 pro-German Defender) The Russians face a tough slug into the village area.

FrF93 Wiener Walzer: (55:45 pro-Russian Defender) I feel like if the Russians set up well and bag the expected number of Turn 1 German SPW 251/1s and then concentrate on reducing just one bridge area that this scenario could be hard on the Germans. Please see AAR here:

WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers: No input, but this saw an awful lot of Round 1 play at Bitter Ender.

RPT160 Willie Und Fritz: (70-30 pro-German Defender) Neil Stanhagen and I played a Friendly of this on Thursday night before the tournament. Neil had a great set up with the two at start German Panthers in Stone VC buildings along the water front. Given the distance and time for the Russians to get the job done, I definitely like the Defenders in this one.

Round 2:

RPT143 Rebel’s Roost:
(55:45 pro-Attacking Americans) Might be more balanced than this if the Defending North Koreans are careful with their two T-34/85s at set up. My opponent set his up such that I could get them in a crossfire pretty early one and then the American FP advantage took over.

FrF94 Death From Above: (50:50) Another quality, non-meat and potatoes offering from the interesting minds at Friendly Fire. Played the first couple of Turns of this to get a sense. Interesting, different, options for both sides.

WO32 Corps Value: (50:50) This Balance assessment is dependent upon how wickedly capable the defending North Korean player is at crafting a quality defense that remains as uncertain as long as possible. The Americans have super quality Marines, but not a lot of them to go around (NOTE the Chapter W Footnote 16 reference in SSR3! You miss it, you most likely lose). Another fine Pete Shelling offering (another of my favorite designers!)

ITR16 Fighting Tank Busters: No input, other than your day may go as your OBA goes. Not my first choice for tournament play.

Round 3:

DTF-3 True Grit:
(50:50) Doesn’t really get much better than this. A great PTO-light Japanese vs. Dutch affair by Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei from their most excellent Death to Fascism scenario pack. Longer AAR here:

FrF97 Wrecking the Rentals: (55-45 pro-Russian Attacker) I think the Russian Attackers just need to go balls to the wall in this one and take their lumps but blow by the out-of-place German defenders, get into the VC area and hang on.

DTF-5 AK ‘44: (55:45 pro-Partisan Defender) I lost this as the Partisans in Albany against Gary Mei (a very high quality opponent), but word has it that a Partisan nut in their backfield is hard to break.

Fahrenheit 352: (50:50) I was a Hatten playtester, so it has been awhile, but my two playings of this were both close.

Round 4:

RPT145 Bouncing Check:
(xx:xx) Set it up and played the first two Turns. One needs to be comfortable with the Korean War module Steep Hills (W1.3) before giving this a spin as the Board 81 & 83 LOSs are IMO hard to Grok right out of the box.

WO30 As Luck Would Have It: (55-45 pro-German Attacker) Played a couple of Turns of this. A true “Tourney-sized” scenario that IMO didn’t offer a lot of flavor.

ASL115Huns of Steel: Not much input. Set it up and thought 9 Turns is really just six as the Hungarians are going to spend the majority of the first 3 Turns getting to the point of engagement. This is on my “To Play List”, just haven’t got there yet.

Round 5:

DTF-4 Death to Fascism:
(50:50) Another fine offering from Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei from their super awesome Death to Fascism pack. Hell, it’s the totle scenario so it has to be good. Just don’t set up too far forward against Steve Pleva or there will be a price to be paid. ?

FrF98 Amerikanskaya Suka: (52-48 pro-German Defender) Great scenario. Please see my full AAR here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/frf98-amerikanskaya-suka.151652/

FrF92 Arms Race: (xx:xx) So, Friendly Fire has an awesome reputation for scenarios that make you go “huh” when you first encounter them. Much like their FrF69 To Ashes, a masterpiece, this scenario will basically leave you scratching your head. I don’t want to say too much about it other than play it and enjoy it. :)
Thanks for the input. I agree with almost all your assessments. Here are a few of my slight disagreements or comments.

Magnificent Beasts of Prey, I suggest maybe a little more pro defender than you. Perhaps a learning curve...At this time not making the cut.

Willie Und Fritz, while I think its pro German, not as strongly as you. Definitely a learning curve. Still under consideration, but at this time it's on the list.

As Luck Would Have it. I think it's more pro German than you. Regardless, I agree, not a great scenario so it will not make the cut.

Thanks again. And Bill you should play Khamsin. Lots of fun and not your typical desert scenario.

I only have one or two more scenarios to look at. The final St Louis list should be published in a week or two.

Last edited:

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input. I agree with almost all your assessments. Here are a few of my slight disagreements or comments.

Magnificent Beasts of Prey, I suggest maybe a little more pro defender than you. Perhaps a learning curve...At this time not making the cut.

Willie Und Fritz, while I think its pro German, not as strongly as you. Definitely a learning curve. Still under consideration, but at this time it's on the list.

As Luck Would Have it. I think it's more pro German than you. Regardless, I agree, not a great scenario so it will not make the cut.

Thanks again. And Bill you should play Khamsin. Lots of fun and not your typical desert scenario.

I only have one or two more scenarios to look at. The final St Louis list should be published in a week or two.
Doug,

Can't really argue with any of your points. My reaction to Willie und Fritz is probably more visceral given how badly Neil Stanhagen clobbered me. :)

And yes, someday I should probably play a desert scenario. Closest I ever probably came was playing with the sand dunes in SP97 Twilight of the Reich. :)

Hopefully, I'll make it your way some day!

All the best.

Bill

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich D and I played RPT147 Fish to Fry with Rich taking the Marines. I only committed one gun to the exit area for the American partial VC fulfillment (the Marines have to exit 4 AFV's as well as clear a road path) Road path to clear is completely opposite of where the Armor has to exit Basically the 4 Marine AFV's have to exit on two hexes 5a Q5 /Q6 and make sure there are no GO non crew MMC on the road I marked in yellow on the map. At first glance, this might look tough on the NKPA, but surprisingly for an SP scenario you do have choices. You can concentrate your NKPA defense to stop his armor from exiting or you can try to defend the road in force or do both. I prefer to defend the road in force since I think trying to stop his armor is very dicey and a suckers bet. In our game, Rich did exit the required AFV's but since I had most of my assets defending the road, it made it tough going for the Marines I had my Road blocks on board 3a to slow his Armor down.

By turn 6 I had two squads left, Rich had two squads and one tank left (that were close enough to make it), I had immobilized his FT tank, so that was huge in taking out a super key piece. So Rich used one tank and a HS to take on one squad, while a SMC, 768 and 127 crew (the FT Tank crew) advanced on another Squad, I managed to break the 768 and in CC my 458 survived and killed the SMC and crew to win the game.

Excellent scenario, not usual SP crap I was used to playing. So far the SP Korean pack has been excellent. Would highly recommend Rok on a Roll.

Scott8407

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Doug,
Very much agree with Bill's assessment, with a few percentage shift in favour of one side or another here and there. Anyway a moderate level of imbabalance is not an issue in Saint Louis as the ABS is in effect as far as i remember.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Doug,

Bill

Doug,

Round 1:

Round 2:

RPT143 Rebel’s Roost:

Round 3:

DTF-3 True Grit:

Round 4:

RPT145 Bouncing Check:

Round 5:

DTF-4 Death to Fascism:

Just to clarify: Bill does not get any royalties on the sales of our Death To Fascism pack.

I do usually provide his buddy Deller an easy win in the first round of Albany, which is priceless. He always ruins it in the next round, though.....

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good breakdown of the scenarios Bill. I agree with you on Peter and Chris's "Death To Fascism Pack". Excellent scenarios and fun to play. I'm hoping that they put out another similar pack in the near future.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good breakdown of the scenarios Bill. I agree with you on Peter and Chris's "Death To Fascism Pack". Excellent scenarios and fun to play. I'm hoping that they put out another similar pack in the near future.
Death to Communism followed by Death to Capitolism or maybe More Death to Fascism.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Work is very much in progress, the second pack will be out at ASLOK 2020.....

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
You have your work cut out for you, Doug! I wish you much success for your tournament. Bill's commentary is excellent.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,

Can't really argue with any of your points. My reaction to Willie und Fritz is probably more visceral given how badly Neil Stanhagen clobbered me. :)

And yes, someday I should probably play a desert scenario. Closest I ever probably came was playing with the sand dunes in SP97 Twilight of the Reich. :)

Hopefully, I'll make it your way some day!

All the best.

Bill
Have to agree on Willie Und Fritz as Curtis Brooks & I thought this was a relatively poor offering from Evan Sherry. I was able to stuff Curtis' Russians in short order with an upfront defense (mostly). With the arrival of a third Panther I think it puts the game out of reach for Russkies, about 65-70% pro-German depending on their defensive plan. (See my recent short AAR in "What Scenarios have you played recently")

As for WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers I think the German Balance is in order for this one. If the German player is very aggressive AND lucky with his infantry it could be enough to tip the balance; as is I rate it 55% pro-American given a reasonably competent defensive plan (Played twice and won with the Americans both times).

Oh yeah, play Khamsin at least once, just for the experience if for nothing else!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really wish Pete would put a little more time into his designs and not flog them off without a care to the publisher. Ya you get published but the scenario will end up feeling like filler and forgettable. Basically ask yourself, do you feel comfortable playing your design before handing it over to a publisher?

Have to agree on Willie Und Fritz as Curtis Brooks & I thought this was a relatively poor offering from Evan Sherry. I was able to stuff Curtis' Russians in short order with an upfront defense (mostly). With the arrival of a third Panther I think it puts the game out of reach for Russkies, about 65-70% pro-German depending on their defensive plan. (See my recent short AAR in "What Scenarios have you played recently")

As for WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers I think the German Balance is in order for this one. If the German player is very aggressive AND lucky with his infantry it could be enough to tip the balance; as is I rate it 55% pro-American given a reasonably competent defensive plan (Played twice and won with the Americans both times).

Oh yeah, play Khamsin at least once, just for the experience if for nothing else!

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is a damn fine scenario that can be played more than one way and which keeps both players on the edge of their seat. I would be fine with a final rating of 55:45, although I think it is actually closer than that. As for the Pete Shelling design process, I for one am very happy with it. If this (or any MMP scenario) is not balanced, you cannot fault the designer, only us.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a "gots to play" scenario.
I agree there as it's an eye catcher. The reason I give it a 55% pro-American rating is that the German must realize at the outset that they must move and take chances right from the get-go. If they fail to see that initially it'll put them behind the power curve time wise. Not all players can rapidly comprehend the pace of the engagement and may spend unnecesssary time setting up their attack formation(s) or wasting time not putting sufficient pressure on the Americans early. With the arrival of the TDs the Americans can literally switch to an aggressive defense. I think a 2nd playing of the game actually brings out the gloss of this one.

[EDIT: DOOH! Replied to the wrong post, comments were for WO31 Ma Deuce :whistle:]