St Louis Tournament July 26-28, 2019

Perry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree there as it's an eye catcher. The reason I give it a 55% pro-American rating is that the German must realize at the outset that they must move and take chances right from the get-go. If they fail to see that initially it'll put them behind the power curve time wise. Not all players can rapidly comprehend the pace of the engagement and may spend unnecesssary time setting up their attack formation(s) or wasting time not putting sufficient pressure on the Americans early. With the arrival of the TDs the Americans can literally switch to an aggressive defense. I think a 2nd playing of the game actually brings out the gloss of this one.

[EDIT: DOOH! Replied to the wrong post, comments were for WO31 Ma Deuce :whistle:]
Good analysis for the wrong comment.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is a damn fine scenario that can be played more than one way and which keeps both players on the edge of their seat. I would be fine with a final rating of 55:45, although I think it is actually closer than that. As for the Pete Shelling design process, I for one am very happy with it. If this (or any MMP scenario) is not balanced, you cannot fault the designer, only us.
Just finished playing this one with Kev Killeen for our Monday get together. I had not heard many good things about this scenario from the playings at two of the tournaments I have attended this year so far, but after reading some of the thoughts from this on both the AAR and this thread, I decided, to be fair, that we give it a try. I am afraid I have to agree with the naysayers on this one. I don't see how the German (extreme luck excluded) has enough time to win this. Even with the first two turn LV, it should be difficult with a competent US setup. Defending the entry in the stone buildings, upper and lower levels, and pickets up front on the German left, with the mmg centered, should make it extremely difficult for the German to advance with the needed speed. The American should decide to defend the two buildings adjacent to the road on their far left and make sure that they don't lose any M10s foolishly challenging the tigers.
We played this with the German balance and it was very close but time ran out on the German and they were never able to really threaten those two buildings. I don't think I would ever want to play this in a tournament round unless guaranteed of having the US defender. I have not seen a German victory yet at the Chicago or Noreaster tourneys. I would rate it as 70% pro American.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a reminder, the St Louis tourney officially starts at noon on Friday, July 26th. However, for round one you are free to match up and play whoever you want, and start whenever you want after the game room opens. The game room should be open by 8:30 AM or 9 AM. Most people are playing by 10 AM or at least 11 AM. If you are going to arrive close to or past noon please contact Jim Burris, so he can ensure an opponent is available for you. In all other rounds the tournament director will assign opponents based on win/loss records.

Here is the 2019 St. Louis ASL tournament scenario list. For rounds 3 thru 5, you will see 6 scenarios listed. The first five are the official main tourney scenario choices. The 6th scenario is an alternate scenario for that round, just like the any round scenario list, which can only be chosen if both players mutually agree. In rounds 3 thru 5 there will be a Hatten mini tourney for those out of the running for the main event and wanting something different. For the Hatten mini, the scenario choices are the 5th and 6th scenarios listed, or the one Hatten scenario in the any round list. In all cases, an any round scenario can only be chosen if neither player has played it in a previous round.

Round 1, Noon Friday
77 Le Herisson
DB141 Gut Punch
RPT141 Volunteers Became Scarce
CtR-20 Prequel to Armageddon
FrF93 Wiener Walzer

Round 2, 6 PM Friday
BFP38 Sugar Cane Shuffle
FrF97 Wrecking the Rentals
RPT148 ROK on a Roll
DTF4 Death to Fascism
FT256 Radio X-Mas

Round 3, 9AM Saturday
43 Into the Fray
CtR-7 Desperate Hours
RPT160 Willie and Fritz
FT239 Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir
HF8 Fahrenheit 352
HF2 Bertoldo The Brave

Round 4, 5PM Saturday
J60 Bad Luck
FrF98 Americkanskaya Suka
DTF3 True Grit
DB145 Brandenburger Blitz
HF4 Liehr Launches First
HF1 Black Day in Hatten

Round 5, 9 AM Sunday
J44 Audacity
DB136 The Block on the Trail to Hell
WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers
FrF100 Deutsch Lesson
HF3 First Timers
HF6 Jackpot Jones

Any round substitutes
A59 Death at Carentan
J101 The Coconut Plantation
DB124 Death on the Eismeer Strasse
WO32 Corps Value
HF7 Gotta Get Out

As usual, ABS will be provided in the future for those with questions/issues on balance of selected scenarios. I am looking forward to seeing everyone in July.

Gunner Scott

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good scenario list, So if you are in the running you are not allowed to play the HiF scenarios?

Scott

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good scenario list, So if you are in the running you are not allowed to play the HiF scenarios?

Scott
Yes. Did you read what I wrote? Perhaps I wasn't clear. The 5th and 6th scenario in rounds 3 thru 5 are the Hatten scenarios. Scenario 5 is part of the main tourney list. Scenario 6 is an alternate to the main tourney list for that round. So, assuming your opponent agrees you can play a Hatten scenario in the main event. I guess you could say, to be guaranteed to play Hatten scenario you need to be in the mini and not in the main event.

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The turn out for the St. Louis tournament has been increasing the last couple years. It's a good tournament to put on your calendar list to make. Great bunch of ASL players and a big BBQ dinner on Saturday evening that is good stuff!!! See you there.

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Death to Fascism scenarios are pretty much the same, plus as a couple others, but most of the scenarios are different. The Death to Fascism scenarios are new, plus they are good and should be included in the tournament. There are a lot of good scenarios to choose from.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m having trouble finding all the scenarios. Is there a way?