St Louis Tournament July 26-28, 2019

Jim Burris

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another St Louis tournament is in the books.

Thanks to Doug Kirk for another great scenario list, to Jeff Ital for the "Brummbar" trophy and everyone who attended.

Bob Bendis took first with a record of 5-0. Congrats Bob for an impressive performance.

2nd George Tournemire 4-1
3rd Stan Jackson 4-1

4 Dave Ginnard 4-1
5 Larry Zoet 4-1
6 Nathan Wegener 3-2
7 Doug Kirk 3-2
8 Rich Domovic 3-2
9 Wes Vaughn 3-2
10 Craig Walters 3-2
11 Maurizio Grassi 3-2

If you are interested in any other results let me know and I can post them or send them to you.

Here is a table showing how everyone fared.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are the scenario statistics for St Louis. 26 of the possible 33 scenarios on the list were played, plus one off list playing of Commando Schenke. The big winner of the weekend seemed to be Hatten. I put in 7 of the 8 Hatten scenarios and all 7 were played. Everyone I talked with liked the Hatten scenarios and many games were tightly contested. Hatten is one the best ASL publications in a long time in my opinion. Here are the individual scenario stats, all are listed Axis-Allies, or good guys-bad guys.

Amerikanskaya Suka0-2
Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir1-0
Audacity!3-2
Bad Luck1-0
Bertoldo the Brave1-1
Black Day in Hatten0-1
Brandenburger Blitz1-0
Commando Schenke1-0
Death at Carentan1-2
Death on the Eismeer Strasse1-2
Death to Fascism2-1
Fahrenheit 3520-1
First Timers1-0
Gotta Get Out1-0
Gut Punch1-2
Into the Fray0-2
Jackpot Jones2-0
Le Herisson1-0
Liehr Launches First0-2
Sugar Cane Shuffle1-3
The Block on the Trail to Hell0-1
The Coconut Plantation1-1
True Grit4-0
Volunteers Became Scarce0-1
Wiener Walzer3-3
Willie Und Fritz3-1
Wrecking the Rentals2-1

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I just wish more scenarios can be squeezed out of Hatten, including a very big one if possible.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where are the AAR's from GInnard, Jackson, Domovic, George T., Stan, Larry, Doug, and/or anyone else?
Inquiring minds want to hear your stories, strategies, triumphs and disasters! Let's go guys! Looking forward to reading all about it!
Paul

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Where are the AAR's from GInnard, Jackson, Domovic, George T., Stan, Larry, Doug, and/or anyone else?
Inquiring minds want to hear your stories, strategies, triumphs and disasters! Let's go guys! Looking forward to reading all about it!
Paul
Shellshock.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul
Work has been killing me me since the tourney, no free time at all for me. Sometimes I question my sanity of working within the corporate structure. Maybe this weekend I can throw together an AAR. I certainly had some good games and a couple so so games...the typical tourney if you will.

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul
Paul,

A brief recollection of the scenarios from memory( does not even qualify as an AAR):

Round 1 Russian vs Wes Vaughn in Wiener Walzer
I had not played it before but Wes told me it was fun so we diced for sides.
My ATG was set up in 4 R7 and my tank was in 4 Y10(bad spot because it loses concealment immediately)
Wes split the mounted half tracks and sent 1 group for a deep penetration on board 4 heading for the 22K2 bridge. The other group headed for the 22R7 bridge.
All of my turn 1 fire was ineffective so I pulled out the infantry to the 22 O3 and 22 S3 building mass.
I split my T34 and sent half to the 22K2 bridge area and the others to the 22 R7 bridge area.
My T-34 took out a couple of tanks and I seem to remember DI one with a tank or and ATR.
The tank battle around the 22P3 wall was intense with several IF shots.
I had the 22K2 bridge area firmly in hand but was getting pressed near the R7 buildings.
A HOB near the r7 building generated a hero which helped the force to stay alive long enough to gather enough CVP for a win by killing a half track in CC.
I believe Wes had the right strategy (deep penetration with the half tracks on board 4 to the 22K2 bridge but I had dice just good enough to win.
It was an enjoyable game as it is always fun to play Wes( I lose more than I win against Wes). Fun Scenario. 1-0

Round 2 Russian vs Dan Best in Wrecking the rentals Frf97 (we diced for sides)
Dan set up only about 3 Squads defending the board X Road area so I sent everybody up the Road. Dan's HIP tank in the woods on board V with a LOS right down the road took out one of my shermans on turn 1 but I seem to recall the tank getting immobilized(or MA malf?) and its CA was fixed. So it quickly died. My infantry poured through in the center of board X so the game was not in question but he did manage to take out all of my shermans but my valentines were able to swarm the remaining tanks. Dan forgot about his 81 MM mortar until I asked him why he was not firing.
There are a lot of Russian tanks in this one and the germans need to heavily defend the Board X gateway down to the vc area to be able to stop the Russians. 2-0

Round 3 US vs Craig Walters in Fahrenheight 352 (we diced for sides)
Craig had a spread out defense not knowing which way I would come.
I set up heavy on my left flank with all but 2.5 squads and a tank on my right flank.
First turn I ran out of almost all of my Smoke ammo and had to push across the street with sg. Craig took out one of my Shermans with a PSk.
The US poured through the left flank using the tanks to cut off route paths and eliminate his forces on that flank. Craig brought up his reinforcements to VC area in my central right flank.
One of his FT tanks malfed on the first shot then my shermans eliminated his Pz4s. With the US in the stone buildings without too many infantry losses and my sparse right flank making slow progress it was too much for the Germans. 3-0

Round 4 Japanese vs Rich Spilky True Grit DTF-3 (we bid for sides and I believe we both bid Dutch 0)
Rich was super prepared as always and had a great defensive set up. Both of us had played this one before ( I had tried the dutch before and lost to Bendis in this one) I was unprepared for the tournament and mis-read how to purchase the SW for my reinforcement group(home made wine?). I read the Purchase point value and then immediately looked at what could be purchased on the DTF- special rules card but forgot to read that the scenario card further limits the SW selection. The net effect was that I had used all of my SW purchase points on a FT. As soon as the error was discovered I removed the SW from play so no SW for that reinforcement group.
Rich was not rolling well with his ART pieces in fact one of them malfunctioned on the first shot of canister. I think that the location of the gun and wire and the use of canister was an excellent strategy.
Rich set up one ART piece under wire on the hill on the Japanese Right flank. I had a fire base of MMG and mortars on each side of the hill but my main force went straight for the hill. Rich's turn 1 fire was ineffective vs the Japanese. With the ART piece on the hill malfing the japanese overran the hill and then headed for the central and left VC area. My reinforcements got chewed up pretty good but were able to take out the other 2 ART pieces and the AA Gun on the back right hill(ART pieces were in the orchards by the wall). One interesting rule question : I had a unit that moved next to a wall that had a hidden gun on the other side of the wall. The HIP gun did not immediately try to claim WA . My unit had mandatory WA so I did not mark it with WA until the start of the next turn. Rich thought that his unit could claim WA when popping out of HIP the next turn?
Rich had 2 HIP 1/2 squads in level 1 of 2 of the VC buildings but I was able to locate them. Rich taught me how easy it is for a FB to make a mistaken attack. I had always thought it was on an original 12 STC but it is on a modified STC roll so my FB obliterated one of my squads in a VC building. On the last turn I Banzaiied an adjacent half squad and leader into a stone building with his 2 squad , MMG and 10-2 to prevent them from getting DF shots against my nearby units. The 1/2 squad broke and the leader survived the TPBF so the Lax Banzai units could route out of the 10-2's hex and I could advance a concealed squad into the melee to take out his 10-2. At the end I believe I controlled all building hexes except 1. All of this would have been different if Rich had got some better dice in the game.
Whenever I play Rich I always learn a few new rules, hopefully I will remember them. 4-0

Round 5 German vs Bob Bendis in Audacity (we bid for sides and Bob got the French balance to BH 2 squads).
Bob was sure that this favors the German because of the mud slowing the units down. After having played it I think that it comes down to if the german 9-2 on the hill can break any French in the first couple of turns as well the Germans need to pressurize the French to try to break as many as possible before the storm of troops come. The French need to hold back from attack until the total force of the reinforcements can come to bear. I believe that if the German does not break any squads in the first 2 turns then the French can overrun the germans easily. I was not rolling well and only got pins against the French in the first few turns. My Morale checks rolls were too high as well. My ATG was in the single hex building by the road and did not do anything. Bob Systematically overran me with a well oiled , text book attack . 4-1 Congrats to Bob !

This was my second year at the St Lois tournament and I had a great time. I hope to be back next year.

Stan

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry I didn't get a chance to post an AAR earlier but I was getting ready for the Tussle.

Round 1: The ever formidable Doug Kirk and I matched up in RPT 141 Volunteers Became Scarce because it was the only one of the five neither of us had played before. I got the South Koreans and Doug had the North Koreans. My dice were cold and Doug was very hot, lots of threes and fours. This was a great scenario and dice not withstanding still went down to the end. Afterwards both Doug and I agreed that I actually had the slightly favored side. But alas: 0-1.
Round 2: Looking to bounce back against formed champ Scott Martin. We selected BFP 38 Sugar Cane Shuffle. Close game, as always with Scott, however, I don't recall much except that we both rolled a little high. Evened up: 1-1
Round 3: Didn't like to many of the choices this round but Mike Stubits only liked one, so we played the old classic Into the Fray. I had the defending poles against Mike's attacking Germans. I played the pull back defense and managed to save the screening force, that combined with the elite reinforcements provided a solid defense and Mikes Germans couldn't catch a break in punching through the line. Feeling better at: 2-1
Round 4: The roommate match. I am matched with my buddy, Randy Shurtz, last years winner. We choose to go off list and pick the alternate DB124 Death on the Eismeer Strasse. Randy had the attacking Germans while I had the super Russians. This scenario plays very tight on a half board that is almost all wooded in falling snow with ground snow. I planned to try and hold the roadblock for three to four turns and then try to exit after turn 4 to get the twelve points. The Russian cannot afford to lose many CVPs as they subtract from the needed total. I did a lot of voluntary breaking to avoid CCs and despite Randys incessant attack managed to get just enough exit VP to eke out the win. I'm back at: 3-1
Round 5: Sitting in 6th place and matched up with Nathan Wegener in fifth. We again went with an alternate as we wanted to play a faster scenario to get out of town earlier. We chose J101 The Coconut Plantation. Nathan set up the defending Brits while I attacked with the Japanese. I went right for the water hole VC area and after a turn 2 banzai controlled the south and east side. I managed to break Nathans 9-2 which was aided by his roll and this opened it up for me to get around the water and clear the area. Having sustained too many losses and with my Japs firmly entrenched around the VC area, Nathan threw in the towel. Back to 4-1 and awaiting the outcome of Bendis/Jackson.
Epilog: With Stan falling to Bendis, and Rich Domovic falling to George Tournemeire, I had the possibility of sneaking into third place. However, my "roomie" Mr. Shurtz decided to leave early Sunday and did not play the fifth round. Had he played and won I would have gotten another 20 points and vaulted into third 2 points behind George in second. Regardless, congrats to Bob, George, and Stan. I am humbled to be in their company.
Had a great time, fourth year for me, and kudos to Jim Burris for running an excellent event. Thanks to Jeff Ital for the occasional borrowed Marlboro and to all the players who make this event so much fun. I'll be back next year.