St Louis ASL Tournament (20th Annual) July 28-30, 2017

Jim Burris

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,

St Louis is hosting our 20th Annual St Louis ASL Tournament this year.

The dates are Friday, July 28 through Sunday, July 30. Round 1 starts on Friday at noon.

You can register here http://www.jaburrissite.com/ASLtournament.html

Doug Kirk is working on the scenario list and says it will be released by June 1.

I expect to see a good turn out of both new players and regulars.

Jim

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario list by June 1st at the latest, probably mid May. You will see it here first, so check back.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick update as an excuse to bump this thread back to the top. I think the St Louis list is done. I am going to let it rest if you will, sleep on it a day or two and then take one last look at it. Barring any last minute revelations or concerns, I will publish it later this week.

As a reminder, round one officially starts at noon on Friday July 28th. Noon is really the last call, as most people will be playing by then. You are free to arrive early and start playing as soon as Jim opens the room...9 AM give or take. In round one players are free to match up and play whoever they wish. So as you roll in Friday morning grab who you can and start playing. Most games are up and going by 10 or 11 AM. If you are going to be arriving later than noon please let Jim know and he will arrange an opponent for you. All subsequent rounds will be more structured with Jim providing the matchups.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the 2017 St Louis scenario list. There a few big ones in here so play fast, or if you are a slow player choose wisely in the scenario selection process. There are plenty of small or medium sized scenario choices. As usual, ABS will be provided in another month or so. Hope to see you there!

Friday Noon -5:30PM
Round 1
SP259 Corridor to Extinction
Stl 12 What Doesn't Kill You
FrF22 Wunderwaffe
J182 Belgian Blitzkrieg
ITR13 To The Last Bullet

Friday 6:00PM - ?
Round 2
SP255 Anatoly's Ambush
FrF29 Sting of the Italian Hornet
BFP30 Melee Near the Coast
BFP129 A Bitter Day
WO22 The Cost of Non-Compliance

Saturday 9:00AM - 4:30 PM
Round 3
DB130 Tigers and Flames
BtB1 Taking Tailliville
Buck10 Buckeye Blitzkrieg
ITR14 Between Rockets and a Hard Place
J127 Messervy's Men

Saturday Night 5:00 PM to ?
Round 4
SP254 Propitious Arrival
SP261 Gunning for Gas
YASL7 Making a Break For It
Z19 The Trap at Targul Frumos
ITR11 Cremation Station

Sunday Morning 8:30AM - ?
Round 5
FrF26 Polish Requiem
J189 Buckley's Block
J24 Smashing the 3rd
SP258 Operation Blackwater
J191 Rebels Without a Pause

Any Round Substitutes
DB119 Delay to the Agno
StL 2 Nothing Ventured
J185 The Haunted Castle
SP256 De Veer's Counterattack
J183 A Real Barn Burner
MM40 Ochota Revenge

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gave up going to the ASL Open for going to St Louis. Looks like you guys as always have a great list. See you in July.....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WOW! Kudos on the Playlist! A few I've never seen/played but the ones I have are outstanding scenarios. Almost everyone I have played (15 of them), everyone I rate as about even and a blast to play, many of the others are definitely on my personal playlist. Looks to be a great Tournament line-up.:thumbsup:

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario list looks great; thanks, Doug for all your efforts.

One question: Is there any difference between FrF26 and FrF29 and their counterparts in the MMP Best of Friends scenario pack? I have Best of Friends, but not the original Friendly Fire pack. Thanks.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are we steering clear of PTOs, Doug? Was this at Wes's suggestion, knowing I'll be there??? Only saw a couple on the list. Nice list, however. See you in July!!!

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are we steering clear of PTOs, Doug? Was this at Wes's suggestion, knowing I'll be there??? Only saw a couple on the list. Nice list, however. See you in July!!!
No, this is the standard distribution I use every year. One Japanese/PTO per main round with 2 or 3 in the alternate list. This year 3 in the alternate list, so right on plan actually.

Now, if you can beat Wes for me, then perhaps I should add more PTO, that is his kryptonight. :)

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario list looks great; thanks, Doug for all your efforts.

One question: Is there any difference between FrF26 and FrF29 and their counterparts in the MMP Best of Friends scenario pack? I have Best of Friends, but not the original Friendly Fire pack. Thanks.
To my knowledge there is no difference between the two versions of Sting of the Italian Hornet, but I will double check.

There is a difference in Polish Requiem. In the BoF version there is one extra 4-5-7 polish squad in each group. I believe this is based on MMP correcting some errata. In the orginial the FT-17 37* tanks all had a 4FP coaxial mg, but these have been removed in the BoF version, so the two squads were added. I lean towards playing the orginial as printed, but I will review and confirm.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was kidding about the PTOs, Doug. I will try and repeat last year and take Wes out of contention if you give me a rematch of our play last year. PTO of course...LOL. All in all, however, the list is great. There are very few I would not play. I particularly like the StL scenarios.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
This is on my list. This may be the year. Need to speak with my wife. -- jim

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I just booked my flights to the US, so I'll be there! This is my chance to tick off a couple more things on my bucket-list - playing Wes Vaughn and Doug Kirk. Win, lose or draw, I'll have then crossed swords with all the best players across the pond, many of whom I managed to meet in Albany.

Anyway, I think the scenario list looks great - some mouth-watering treats await.

Oh - what time does everything wrap up on Sunday? What's the earliest flight I could book safely from St. Louis to New York?

See you in a couple of months, guys!

Toby

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that you will have crossed swords with "all the best" from across the pond. Paul Works and I seem to do quite well against Doug and Wes in St. Louis. Maybe we can schedule at least your first four matches...Heh-heh-heh

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just booked my flights to the US, so I'll be there! This is my chance to tick off a couple more things on my bucket-list - playing Wes Vaughn and Doug Kirk. Win, lose or draw, I'll have then crossed swords with all the best players across the pond, many of whom I managed to meet in Albany.

Anyway, I think the scenario list looks great - some mouth-watering treats await.

Oh - what time does everything wrap up on Sunday? What's the earliest flight I could book safely from St. Louis to New York?

See you in a couple of months, guys!

Toby
Great news Toby! Looking forward to. Let us know when you will arrive. As for leaving on Sunday, it's probably 25 minutes to the airport. You could be done playing by noon, but I suspect you may be playing in the finals :), which means 1 or 2 pm is more likely. I would not schedule a flight before 4pm, perhaps 3pm if you really want to push it. 5 or 6 pm is very safe.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I plan to attend. David Goldman will be driving down with me.

Magnus Rimvall contacted me to play in the first round, which is fine for me. Magnus is also flying in from Great Britain.

Nice scenario list, Doug.

Rich

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will be great to see you and Dave again. Thanks for the great scenario in Chicago. I will be coming in with Tommy C Thursday night. See you then. Seems we will have a great group of attendees and that St. Louis/KC are no slouches. Also agree, that this is one of the best scenario lists I've seen. Great job Doug!!!