SSR wording?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Borrowing a bit from my own 'magic partisans' in J1 Urban Guerillas--or maybe taking it to the next level. What do you guys think here?

• Any time A successful sniper attack is made by the Japanese, he must roll a direction (no distance) dr from the sniper counter and place a 5/8 ? in the location selected. This is a ‘spider hole’. The spider hole is not considered a unit until activated. To activate a spider hole, roll a dr before desiring to move/fire/engage in CC or if it is successfully searched/ has to roll on the IFT or is attacked in CC, or if any enemy unit attempts to enter its location . Once activated, make dr to determine the type of unit. 0-1= 1-4-9 hero; 2 =2-3-7 HS; 3= 1-3-7 HS; 4= 8 +1 leader; 5-6= no unit. There is a -1 DRM to this roll if the location is rubble/woods and +1 if it is not concealment terrain.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spider hole is placed any distance > 0 in any legal location in the direction indicated?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh, without a distance dr, how are you going to get just one location? And sorry, I don't understand that fourth sentence at all.
The location adjacent to the sniper attack. (This happens AFTER the actual sniper attack -- which apparently isn't
clear either.)

Now that it's Sunday morning with coffee, I'll ty it again.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So I will admit I am likely in the minority. I will play these types of scenarios, but I will rarely play them for anything more than fun (this includes Urban Apes). Rarely do ASL players like random events beyond their control. I imagine few players detest the SAN more than I do. It takes no skill to put a counter on the board and let it win (or lose) for you. Your SSR just magnified what I absolutely hate the most in ASL. I might play it but I doubt I would enjoy it. JMO. YMMV. -- jim

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I will admit I am likely in the minority. I will play these types of scenarios, but I will rarely play them for anything more than fun (this includes Urban Apes). Rarely do ASL players like random events beyond their control. I imagine few players detest the SAN more than I do. It takes no skill to put a counter on the board and let it win (or lose) for you. Your SSR just magnified what I absolutely hate the most in ASL. I might play it but I doubt I would enjoy it. JMO. YMMV. -- jim
OTOH, I LOVE the added randomness (As long as it's just enough IMO-- and the alternative would be writing down a bunch of HIP spider holes-- which I hate)

It takes the 'risk management' thought processes up a notch..

By the way Jim -- Did I ever tell you about the phenomenon known as Risk Compensation/Risk Homeostasis and how it applies to ASL play?

;)o_O🤣

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It takes the 'risk management' thought processes up a notch..

By the way Jim -- Did I ever tell you about the phenomenon known as Risk Compensation/Risk Homeostasis and how it applies to ASL play?

;)o_O🤣
On the other hand, this is risk is like the inherent "extra" deadliness in the IIFT. If you don't play it, you don't have to account for it ;) -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My view of " balance " has been expressed ad nauseam in the past but this is an instance where I think such a thing should be considered.

If the Japanese player gets an inordinate amount of successful Sniper dr's things are not going well for his opponent already. Add in a few extra," spider " units and whatever balance the scenario had is probably gone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to random events in ASL, they add flavor. However too much of almost any flavor can overwhelm the " dish ".

I do like the concept though. Updates on this SSR would be appreciated. Good luck with it Pete!

Also not a fan of SAN. At least don't call it Sniper. There is no accuracy.

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I actually like scenarios that have random events in them. Variety is the spice of life. Sure, it adds an element of luck but that is the nature of the game. Is the possibility of a spider hole producing something any more random than an HMG going on a sustained ROF tear that wipes out the opposition? What about that King Tiger that fails its mechanical reliability DR at a critical moment? Is it any worse than a paradrop scenario which results in three missed drop points out of three despite an increased accuracy dr of 1-4 instead of 1-3 as has just happened to me in a game that I am playing? Stuff like this is what gives the game much of its flavour. Just IMHO. 🙂

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I read it correctly, and after your clarification on Location, the SSR places a potential Japanese Hero or hs or leader as a non-unit, adjacent to a just whacked enemy unit. The Japanese player can activate the non-unit with a dr if they desire to move/fire/engage in CC (does this mean Advance into CC is a valid action to activate?) So they can pretty much do anything they would normally do in either player's turn in order to activate it. Otherwise, the opponent automatically activates it by entering or firing on it.

Is that the jist of the SSR?

Is this activated unit placed onboard concealed or unconcealed?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like this idea, I think a little bit of randomness in the game is fine (have to agree with others though, too much and you screw the balance)
I think this would be a lot of fun to play

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
And sorry, I don't understand that fourth sentence at all.
Me also.

To activate a spider hole, roll a dr before desiring to move/fire/engage in CC . . .

It seems like the rest of this clause is missing: before desiring to move any unit anywhere on the map? before desiring to move the spider hole unit? does this apply to both players? does this only apply to units in the spider hole Location?

And when would a spider hole ever have to roll on the IFT?

(BTW, I really like J1.)