SSR questions/Help

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

I am designing some scenarios and I am trying to come up with a way to incorporate local troops/civilians
that "fired" on enemy troops, but really do not deserve counters in the scenario. They more or less melted away after the real fighting began.

I thought increasing the SAN would work, but this really does not reflect what I want to do.

I came up with letting the defenders have a number of IFT DRs equal to what I think the these local troops/civilians would do. Kinda of a one and done type of thing. Breakdown below;

(These can be used in any appropriate phase for the allied player in this case) (One per hex)

Turn#1)
1x 8FP, 1x6FP, 2x 4FP

Turn#2)
1x 6FP, 1x 4FP

Turn#3)
1x4FP

These of course can be adjusted as need.

Do you think this is to "gamey" and are there rules issues that might make this unworkable??

Thanks for your thoughts and feed back.

Regards
Joe

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you're trying to add too much player control into the situation yet retain some ambiguity. Your better approach would be to increase the SAN (Say a PTC attack on a 3) or something similar to what was done in J1 URBAN GUERILLAS. If following the example of J1 scenario this would give the other side pause to either ignore these units or try to hunt them down and eliminate them. You could even institute in the SSR that the such generated units be automatically eliminated on turn x or at the end of the turn generated (you know what you want to accomplish in this regard).

Another approach would be to use something like allocating so many S? counters to the defending side with an activation parameter and dr to say activate a 1-2-7 or partisan counter (maybe even of a different nationality color for distinction purposes). This would force the other side to try and avoid activating these units or choose to take his chances and if he activates some, deal with them appropriately. JMHO

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
During DPh, use sniper counter (either automatically accurate or random based on situation) and declare the specified attacks per turn. If there is SAN 2 or 3 in the game, the defender won’t mind rolling these as the Sniper may never activate anyway. You may also specify that this is limited to the approach area/board. I see this closer to a pre-bombardment type of SSR as you don’t want to give defender too much control over random villagers taking a few shots and running for the hills.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with the other guys on not too much control. Maybe something like this. Two free Sniper Attacks at the end of the Prep Fire phase of the player not owning the snipers, for X number of turns. Roll one die to see where the sniper will be used from. 1 board X J5, 2 board X P5, that sort of thing. Then do a random direction and distance from there if the free dr generated an attack. If you think two with a 1/3 chance of success is too weak, go with three. I wouldn't go more than that.

Is this for SK or full ASL btw?

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think the SAN and Booby Trap mechanics probably cover this sort of thing well enough, otherwise, you are heading down the road of "untouchable" units

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Thanks for commenting on this!! I agree, I might be given to much control over this situation to the defender. A more active SAN or just some "weaker" civilian units placed on map might be better and easier in the long run. :) Some good stuff to think about.

Regards
Joe

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What about the "arcing fire" SSR frokm Trial run? You have some residual FP counters to place each turn and they then drift randomly. Not a huge effect but can slow down movement. Start with 4 4FP ones and drop one each turn.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How about adding some conscript counters, then having them disappear? The conscripts are removed with their fire marker, or immediately if they fire in the AFPh. They are also removed in the CCPh if in the same Location as an enemy unit after Ambush is rolled in the CCPh, but only if not ambushed and if not concealed. They are also removed if they break.

JR

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vinnie/JRV

Some clever ideas, Iike them!!

Carl, these are full ASL scenarios.

Thanks
Joe

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vinnie/JRV

Some clever ideas, Iike them!!

Carl, these are full ASL scenarios.

Thanks
Joe
Ok, I knew you were doing a lot of SK work, so I wasn't sure if you were trying to introduce new concepts.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think having a higher SAN is like having a better commander, it "could" do what the
presenter asks or it could take out that 9-1 at the back - it is not like adding FP.

Throwaway 426's sound the best option to me, or perhaps add same in LMG's.

This would add a localized fire group that would be removed at turn X etc..

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think having a higher SAN is like having a better commander, it "could" do what the
presenter asks or it could take out that 9-1 at the back - it is not like adding FP.

Throwaway 426's sound the best option to me, or perhaps add same in LMG's.

This would add a localized fire group that would be removed at turn X etc..

This is what I thinking about, some ideas to ponder, thanks!!

Joe

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
62nd Army, you wish to add extra FP in the first few turns as an irritant.
You could have the player roll one die at the end of the Rally Phase, result halved. This many 337 partisan squads are placed on the players sniper counter and each MMC is randomly placed (scattered) using C1.31. Do this for the first 3 turns.
The result is between 3 & 9 squads (9 to 27 FP) are generated. Some could fall off board (i.e. not brought into play), some could fall behind the players lines (i.e. join the main force), some could fall behind the enemy’s lines (harassing fire as intended), some could land on an enemy unit (instant CC, or ambush attack).
A little bit of designed chaos.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
62nd Army, you wish to add extra FP in the first few turns as an irritant.
You could have the player roll one die at the end of the Rally Phase, result halved. This many 337 partisan squads are placed on the players sniper counter and each MMC is randomly placed (scattered) using C1.31. Do this for the first 3 turns.
The result is between 3 & 9 squads (9 to 27 FP) are generated. Some could fall off board (i.e. not brought into play), some could fall behind the players lines (i.e. join the main force), some could fall behind the enemy’s lines (harassing fire as intended), some could land on an enemy unit (instant CC, or ambush attack).
A little bit of designed chaos.

Nice idea!! I will add to my "list", thank you!

Joe

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

I am designing some scenarios and I am trying to come up with a way to incorporate local troops/civilians
that "fired" on enemy troops, but really do not deserve counters in the scenario. They more or less melted away after the real fighting began.

I thought increasing the SAN would work, but this really does not reflect what I want to do.

Instead of increasing the SAN, you could try giving them two (2) SAN numbers... like 2 and/or 3 may activate a Sniper attempt.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Instead of increasing the SAN, you could try giving them two (2) SAN numbers... like 2 and/or 3 may activate a Sniper attempt.
Steve

Good idea, I will put on my "options" list.

Thanks
Joe

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
The probability of a 2 and/or 3 is the same as rolling just a 4 for SAN, 8.33%.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
In straight percentage = true
but
in number of dice rolls = twice the chances

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
In straight percentage = true
but
in number of dice rolls = twice the chances
Sorry, but my reaction is "Ehhhh? I don't understand!"

The probability of rolling 2 OR 3 is absolutely the same as rolling just a 4, assuming fair dice. That applies to a single DR or multiple DR. The only difference is that a DR of 2 can give you some additional benefit (HoB, etc), depending upon what is being rolled for. So with a 2+3 SAN you could get a HoB with the possibility of Battle Hardening, Hero and/or Berserk immediately followed by being Sniped which would not be possible with a plain SAN of 4. An IFT result of 2 or 3 likewise will likely have a different end result than a 4 but the resultant SAN will have the same odds. The SAN is just a raw probability and doesn't care what the effects of its triggering DR number was.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about the "arcing fire" SSR frokm Trial run? You have some residual FP counters to place each turn and they then drift randomly. Not a huge effect but can slow down movement. Start with 4 4FP ones and drop one each turn.

Vinnie

Did a solo test of one the scenarios I was designing. Used this idea and really liked it, easy to "to do" and the residual counters come off
like normal so need for anything special. Plan to explore this option more.

Thanks!!!
Joe