SSR help

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reading through the Playtest thread, I realized I can ask for help on this SSR for a small Stalingrad scenario I'm trying to create:

3. NKVD units must fire on/interdict non-NKVD Soviet units that move/rout east of hexrow Z in the current/next available Fire Phase (EXC: if NKVD unit in CC, or German unit is closer than non-NKVD Soviet unit).

Half-board scenario, with 'speed-bump' Conscripts defending one part, and NKVD occupying the victory buildings. On one level, I'm trying to model the Soviet reputation for sending out cannon fodder, and shooting them if they turn back. At the gaming level, trying to make sure that a) the Soviet player doesn't simply pull back all units to smother the victory buildings with MMC, and b) make the German player truly deal with the Conscripts, rather than just bypassing them, so that they don't come up behind him and shoot him in the assets.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Allow for interrogation and thus the Germans have a very good reason to capture the conscripts.

3. Unless an NKVD unit is in LOS of/adjacent to/in CC with a German unit, they will interdict any non NKVD unit routing east of hexrow Z.
Conscript units may not voluntarily move east of row Z until turn 5.
I'm not sure allowing them to fire on the units is a good idea.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"All NKVD troops treat non - NKVD units as enemy units in all respects. NKVD MUST fire on/interdict/attempt to eliminate non-NKVD units by CC; unless a German KEU is closer to it ( by hexes, not MF)."

my $.02

KRL, Jon H

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
3. Unless an NKVD unit is in LOS of/adjacent to/in CC with a German unit, they will interdict any non NKVD unit routing east of hexrow Z.
Conscript units may not voluntarily move east of row Z until turn 5.
I'd keep it even more simple - just have the NKVD troops Interdict routing comrades that wonder east of hexrow Z and drop the "LOS, closer to German unit" requirement. And no need to mention "in CC/Melee", since those units can't Interdict anyway.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about this:

3. Unless an NKVD unit is in LOS of/adjacent to a German unit, they will interdict any non-NKVD unit routing east of hexrow Z. Conscript units may not voluntarily move east of row Z until turn "x". NKVD and Conscripts are treated as Enemy units for purposes of moving into the same Location and CC. NKVD units cannot form firegroups with Conscripts.
And thank you to all for giving me input into this. I'm also considering using Italian/Chinese Conscript units (treated as Soviets) instead of the 426 counters, so as to highlight the 'different-ness' of the Soviet side.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
"NKVD units cannot form firegroups with Conscripts."

I'd limit the restriction to multi-Location Fire Groups. Otherwise you might run into problems if they are in the same Location and required to attack per A8.312 and Manadatory FG applies.

Also:
"Unless an NKVD unit is in LOS of/adjacent to a German unit," - you might just write "in LOS" as that will take of the the "ADJACENT" part as well, and I'd might consider adding the the German unit must be Known as well.

"NKVD units [EXC: if they have a LOS to a Known German unit] will Interdict...."

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"NKVD units cannot form firegroups with Conscripts."

I'd limit the restriction to multi-Location Fire Groups. Otherwise you might run into problems if they are in the same Location and required to attack per A8.312 and Manadatory FG applies.

Also:
"Unless an NKVD unit is in LOS of/adjacent to a German unit," - you might just write "in LOS" as that will take of the the "ADJACENT" part as well, and I'd might consider adding the the German unit must be Known as well.

"NKVD units [EXC: if they have a LOS to a Known German unit] will Interdict...."
Hmmm, how about this...

3. Unless an NKVD unit is in LOS of a Known German unit, they will interdict any non-NKVD unit routing east of hexrow Z. Conscript units may not voluntarily move east of row Z until turn "x". NKVD and Conscripts treat each other as KEU for purposes of moving into the same Location and CC. NKVD units cannot form multi-location firegroups with Conscripts.
So, NKVD and Conscript units can only Advance into each other's Location, and if they do, they enter into CC with each other. No love lost in the Motherland.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So, NKVD and Conscript units can only Advance into each other's Location, and if they do, they enter into CC with each other. No love lost in the Motherland.
Personally I'd drop the "CC between" them, I think it might cause more rules issues that it is worth - you might have NKVD, Russian and German units all mixed up in a Melee. Why not treat Conscripts together with NKVD troops as being more "motivated" by the presence of NKVD troops close by.

This is how I would write the SSR.
3. NKVD units [EXC: if in LOS of a Known German unit(s)] will Interdict routing Russian Conscript MMC in hexes east of hexrow Z. Russian Conscript MMC may not move/advance
east of hexrow Z prior to Game Turn X. NKVD and Conscript units may not form multi-Location Fire Groups.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What of SMC Routing with these Conscripts? thus for clarity add to Klas' "....will Interdict Routing Russian Conscript MMC (including Leaders accompanying them) in...."

Yes, leaders suffer the fate of... but this is a very special case...maybe the NKVD feels they should not shoot such SMC...maybe they feel they should shoot such SMC FIRST then the rest............inquiring rifles with optics want to know....