SSR for trench set up

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"The ____ player must form a single connected trench system that includes all 16 Trench counters. It may be a line, star, blob, or any other shape(s) desired, but no numbered hexrow may contain more than 5 Trench counters."

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still think my suggestion was the easiest. We play scenarios all the time with SSRs like "place buuned out wreck counters in hexes-------" or "place rubble in hexes-----". Whats the difference of "place 16 trench counters in hexes--------". That wouldnt necessarily turn me against the scenario and you get the exact desired effect from your design point of view. JMHO...

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still think my suggestion was the easiest. We play scenarios all the time with SSRs like "place buuned out wreck counters in hexes-------" or "place rubble in hexes-----". Whats the difference of "place 16 trench counters in hexes--------". That wouldnt necessarily turn me against the scenario and you get the exact desired effect from your design point of view. JMHO...
It gets the exact effect in terms of a line, but I'm assuming the designer wants to let players have some creativity over where exactly the line is placed.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
"SSR: The 16 Trench counters must form one trench system, with each counter only touching two other counters [EXC: the two Trench counters at either end of the system]. Further, no numbered hexrow on the board may contain more than five Trench counters."

This allows punters to form linear systems (staggered through three hexrows), boxes (not joined at one side), circles (again, not joined), zig-zag systems, etc.
The only thing you can't do is put an enormous blob in the middle of the board to use as your festung.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"SSR: The 16 Trench counters must form one trench system, with each counter only touching two other counters [EXC: the two Trench counters at either end of the system]. Further, no numbered hexrow on the board may contain more than five Trench counters."
except I want to allow more than two counters having only one adjacent trench such as this for example:

-- --
----
- -
- -
----

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, Pete, Zoë hasn't shown up yet. 9/17 due date...she's welcome any time. :D

S
Zoe is a beautiful name.

I always liked the name Uma until I met a lady who liked it too, but spelled it Ooma for her daughter. Yuck! Poor kid.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trenches must set up at a distance from 0 to 15 hexes (inclusive) of hex XYZ. Each of the 16 trenches must set up at a different distance in hexes (0,1,2,3, etc) from hex XYZ and ADJACENT to at least two other trenches (EXC: the trenches at a distance of 0 and 15 hexes).

(this ensures a chain be formed, but not necessarily a linear chain).
Won't work, there should be two at each distance.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Each trench counter must be adjacent/ADJACENT to two other trench counters and no more( except the two on the end). No more than five may be in any letter row or have the same number coordinate.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the suggestions that say "adjacent to two other trench counters and no more..." are missing the point. I think Pete wants the defender to be able to place a "blob" of trenches if he chooses. What needs to be prevented is several little clusters of trenches that don't connect to all other trenches.

I agree that Spence had it right in post #7.

Which proves that even Spence can be right sometime.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
All the suggestions that say "adjacent to two other trench counters and no more..." are missing the point. I think Pete wants the defender to be able to place a "blob" of trenches if he chooses. What needs to be prevented is several little clusters of trenches that don't connect to all other trenches.

I agree that Spence had it right in post #7.

Which proves that even Spence can be right sometime.
I'm right up there with blind squirrels and stopped clocks... :laugh:

S

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pete, how does this sound (stealing Spencer's second sentence)?

"Each trench counter must set up adjacent to >= 2 other trench counters [EXC: 2 trench counters may set up adjacent to only 1 other trench counter]. No numbered hexrow (i.e. hexes numbered '3') may contain more than five trench counters."

And I figure this scenario isn't intended for MMP, since you know Chas can handle these issues, but this suggestion is on the house.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pete, how does this sound (stealing Spencer's second sentence)?

"Each trench counter must set up adjacent to >= 2 other trench counters [EXC: 2 trench counters may set up adjacent to only 1 other trench counter]. No numbered hexrow (i.e. hexes numbered '3') may contain more than five trench counters."

And I figure this scenario isn't intended for MMP, since you know Chas can handle these issues, but this suggestion is on the house.
Well it's a night scenario, which MMP seems to be the only moderately interested party.

you guys wanna do a Night/Chapter E pack?

Got a good start on scenarios if you do.:laugh:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it's a night scenario, which MMP seems to be the only moderately interested party.

you guys wanna do a Night/Chapter E pack?

Got a good start on scenarios if you do.:laugh:
Pete,

I would only want to do that if we could tie it in with some significant new support for Chapter E.
Wanna take a crack at re-writing the chapter?
Otherwise, I think we are better off sprinkling those Chapter E goodies around as some seasoning for more mainstream products.