SSR for trench set up

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How does this sound?:

There are 16 trench counters. I want them all to be connected.

"Each trench must setup in a contiguous line to every other trench. No numbered hexrow may contain more than 5 trench counters"

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How does this sound?:

"Each trench must setup in a contiguous line to every other trench. No numbered hexrow may contain more than 5 trench counters"
"Line" suggests they have to be in a line. This probably isn't the best, but "Each trench must be connected to every other trench either directly or indirectly through a path of other trench counters."

JR

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How does this sound?:

How about "All 16 trench counters must form a single connected complex; no numbered hexrow may contain more than 5 trench counters."?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
"Line" suggests they have to be in a line. This probably isn't the best, but "Each trench must be connected to every other trench either directly or indirectly through a path of other trench counters."

JR
I prefer "each trench counter must set up adjacent to at least one other trench counter. No numbered hexrow (i.e. hexes numbered '3') may contain more than five trench counters."

The "directly or indirectly connected" bit needlessly muddies things, IMO.

S

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I prefer "each trench counter must set up adjacent to at least one other trench counter. No numbered hexrow (i.e. hexes numbered '3') may contain more than five trench counters."

The "directly or indirectly connected" bit needlessly muddies things, IMO.
That won't do. Then they can set up in disconnected pairs, which I don't believe is what Pete wants.

JR

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
You are correct. I thought that far at least.

baby yet, Spencer?:laugh:
Ah, missed that bit. Hm. I like jwb3's answer better than JR's but don't love either. How about "each trench counter must set up adjacent to at least one other trench counter and be able to trace a contiguous line of trench counters to every other trench counter. No numbered hexrow (i.e. hexes numbered '3') may contain more than five trench counters."

I don't know what "indirectly connected" means and "complex" makes me think of caves, which makes my skin crawl. ;)

No, Pete, Zoë hasn't shown up yet. 9/17 due date...she's welcome any time. :D

S

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, I will weigh in here too. How about, all but two trench counters must be ADJACENT to two (no more, no less) other trench counters and the remaining two trench counters must be ADJACENT to one (no more, no less).
Use that if you want a long thin line of trench counters. I THINK that gets you where you want to go.
It really depends on the specifics of where you want the rule to go.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meanwhile Pete, in our shameless plug department, why not post this in the designers forum? Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok, I will weigh in here too. How about, all but two trench counters must be ADJACENT to two (no more, no less) other trench counters and the remaining two trench counters must be ADJACENT to one (no more, no less).
Use that if you want a long thin line of trench counters. I THINK that gets you where you want to go.
It really depends on the specifics of where you want the rule to go.
I don't think he wants a line. I think a "blob" or a "star" or whatever would be acceptable. I think he just wants to make sure that all are "connected." That's why I suggested removing the word "line".

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Trenches must set up as a continuous cluster of hexes. No more than five trench counters may setup on a hexrow.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why not just SSR the hexes you want the trenches to go in ?? That way theres no confusion. Reading the other ideas all seemed a little confusing to me, but i'm easily confused these days.:crosseye:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Trenches must set up at a distance from 0 to 15 hexes (inclusive) of hex XYZ. Each of the 16 trenches must set up at a different distance in hexes (0,1,2,3, etc) from hex XYZ and ADJACENT to at least two other trenches (EXC: the trenches at a distance of 0 and 15 hexes).

(this ensures a chain be formed, but not necessarily a linear chain).

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why not just SSR the hexes you want the trenches to go in ?? That way theres no confusion. Reading the other ideas all seemed a little confusing to me, but i'm easily confused these days.:crosseye:
Because that type of SSRturns people off. Too much verbiage, not enough options.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How about:

All trenches must set up adjacent to one or more trench counters such that an Infantry unit would be capable of entering all trench counters without paying 1MF to enter or exit the trench line. No more than 5 trench counter may be set up in the same numbered hex-row.

I think that makes the intent more clear. Still might be a little obtuse. Personally, why not let the DEFENDER just put them where they think they need them. -- jim

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about:

All trenches must set up adjacent to one or more trench counters such that an Infantry unit would be capable of entering all trench counters without paying 1MF to enter or exit the trench line. No more than 5 trench counter may be set up in the same numbered hex-row.

I think that makes the intent more clear. Still might be a little obtuse. Personally, why not let the DEFENDER just put them where they think they need them. -- jim
I did not look at the board selected (maybe it wasn't mentioned) , but that would need tweaking if there were any hills or valleys. I know you don't have to pay for exiting a trench changing levels but you will pay MF above and beyond the trench move for that function (and perhaps that would not be totally clear)

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I did not look at the board selected (maybe it wasn't mentioned) , but that would need tweaking if there were any hills or valleys. I know you don't have to pay for exiting a trench changing levels but you will pay MF above and beyond the trench move for that function (and perhaps that would not be totally clear)
I think I have this covered. Having read back though, I would amend my proposal: "All trenches must set up adjacent to one or more trench counters such that an Infantry unit set up IN a trench would be capable of entering all trench counters in play without leaving the "trench line". No more than 5 trench counters may be set up in the same numbered hex-row." I think that is cleaner.

It is subject to interpretation as to what a "trench line" is though since it is not defined by the system. It is hard to define this clearly in game terminology. Personally, I would let the player set them up how ever they wish or use a setup instruction. -- jim

Last edited: