SS Nederlander scenario pack, playtest version

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading thru old Point Blank newsletter earlier today and saw Nederlander scenario pack scenario ND-1 Tooth and Nail,and remembered had hard copy of this scenario plus few others from same pack,which was sent to me a few years back for proofing and possible playtesting.

Who was the person(s) responsible for this? And is this still being worked on? If so can still help out on this,just let me know.

Thanks,
Mark

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was the designer. The entire pack was submitted and accepted by a publisher in 2015. (They have had a lot of stuff in their pipeline.). @thedrake , you were one of my proofers, yes, so you probably got near finished scenario card copies at some point :).

Andre helped with tracking down a couple of translation issues from german source documents, and did a fair amount of assistance in framing the unit designations correctly.

:)
KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it was Steve Swann who was working on this.
I've helped Steve with a few projects over the last 8 years or so. I do not recall that Steve was part of the team who put this one together.
If my notes are correct, it was:

"Von Marwitz" - German translations and research assistance.
Paul Weir - Research assistance and photographic unit identification assistance.
"the drake" - Proofreading.
Kevin Kenneally - Photographic unit identification assistance and development of SSRs, proofreading.
Andrew Kerekes - playtesting.
Neil Andrews - playtesting.
"HongKongWargamer" - playtesting.
JR Kresja - playtesting.
Ian Willey - playtesting and proofreading.
Dennis Donovan - playtesting.
Roger Foss - playtesting.
Steve B. - playtesting.
Zoltan Grose - scenario card layouts and graphic design assistance.
Al Cannamore - VASL extension and map overlay design assistance.
A gentleman in Scotland who I have not seen in ASL for about 2 years now who also assisted in playtesting. Memory recall is weak, but he used to be fairly active on the old software version of GameSquad.
Two ASL players in the Netherlands who assisted with Dutch translations of source documents. Names elude me without my morning coffee.
Nadir ElFarra- playtesting and proofreading.
"cooljrunner" - playtesting and proofreading.
Bob E. - proofreading.
Jeff Sewall- proofreading.

If I missed anyone - its entirely my fault. Age related memory loss is my story and I'll stick to it (unless I forget to stick to it, or what was supposed to be the story. :D ). you can fire at will, (or if shooting will won't work - shoot Vinnie :) if I missed anyone.)

(Any names in "..." marks are their Gamesquad handles. I've tried to list them as they desired, as some prefer their names not used in open forum formats.).

KRL, Jon H

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've helped Steve with a few projects over the last 8 years or so. I do not recall that Steve was part of the team who put this one together.

Paul Weir - Research assistance and photographic unit identification assistance.
Kevin Kenneally - Photographic unit identification assistance and development of SSRs, proofreading.
JR Kresja - playtesting.
Steve B. - playtesting.
A gentleman in Scotland who I have not seen in ASL for about 2 years now who also assisted in playtesting. Memory recall is weak, but he used to be fairly active on the old software version of GameSquad.
Two ASL players in the Netherlands who assisted with Dutch translations of source documents. Names elude me without my morning coffee.
Bob E. - proofreading.

If I missed anyone - its entirely my fault. Age related memory loss is my story and I'll stick to it (unless I forget to stick to it, or what was supposed to be the story. :D ). you can fire at will, (or if shooting will won't work - shoot Vinnie :) if I missed anyone.)

(Any names in "..." marks are their Gamesquad handles. I've tried to list them as they desired, as some prefer their names not used in open forum formats.).

KRL, Jon H

You forgot (the) one:

Jon H aka. witchbottles - brought this pack of people and scenarios together with an immeasurable amount of work and dedication.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You forgot (the) one:

Jon H aka. witchbottles - brought this pack of people and scenarios together with an immeasurable amount of work and dedication.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Thank you for the kind words, indeed. Truly, this was more than anything, a group effort on the part of a lot of dedicated ASL players. That was a major reason I put it to the team in total as to what do once it was completed. The unanimous response was to make it a full submission to a publisher, so we did.

And yes, I did forget Don Lazov - playtesting and proofreading, and Ryan Kent- playtesting. :) Let me know if I forgot anyone else :D Age gets the best of us....

For those wondering, rest assured these are making their way - many in the original group have helped with playtesting and proofreading stuff in the pipeline involved, that was well in front of this project, to accelerate the appearance of these scenarios. For those efforts, I can only say "Thank You, guys." It really is going above and beyond in my book by this team.

KRL, jon H

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
When I read my name I went "I did? When?", then remembered ID'ing a few photos, less than a good evening's worth of "Da Paul Challenge". To be fair to you you seem to have included anyone who helped, might have included the name of the waiter/waitress who brought you coffee while poring over your work. :D

Never have done an ASL project myself, I can still imagine the worst part, the cat herding :eek: of researchers, proofers and play-testers and that is/was your task. So congratulations and well done!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I read my name I went "I did? When?", then remembered ID'ing a few photos, less than a good evening's worth of "Da Paul Challenge". To be fair to you you seem to have included anyone who helped, might have included the name of the waiter/waitress who brought you coffee while poring over your work. :D

Never have done an ASL project myself, I can still imagine the worst part, the cat herding :eek: of researchers, proofers and play-testers and that is/was your task. So congratulations and well done!
I honestly don't recall that waitress's name. Besides, you can't pin it on me, the rabbit disappeared and besides, he doesn't look like me, either.... :D

But she did have some decent hoo-hoos, didn't she? :giggle:

The MMG rules were probably the toughest, along with working out that damnable Panther picture and Pz III Befehlswagen. :).

Paul worked with me on modifying an ASL German MMG by SSR to emulate a 1915 Machine Gun that was salvaged as "beute" by the Germans from their mounts in bunkers along the Isseldijk - and identifying the single dramatic photo of a pair of tanks with clear unit markings as to make/model and location(s) used.

Anyhow - this was a team effort, start to finish, and so many put in so much that made it possible. I owe all you guys fo making that project get to the finish line.

KRL, Jon H

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

JR Kresja - playtesting.
Steve B. - playtesting.
Bob E. - proofreading.

KRL, Jon H
It does appear that you pulled together a rather decent company, suitable for future ventures like, conquering the world, for instance.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I would have thought "cat herding" is your specialty!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any idea when its going to see the light of day and get published?
Let's see, 2015 saw the 1st project in front of these published. 2017 saw the second one come out, 2018 saw the third and now recently the fourth. I think we're getting quite a bit closer to the goal line, by my (not quite accurate) count, there's 2 or so projects left in front of these, one big and one smaller. The scens will be broken up and added to the products in the pipeline where they best apply, is what I was told and agreed to. ( like 2-3 products coming out back to back so they will all see light of day in a fundamentally close manner.)

I can't tell you who the publisher is by pre-arrangements, until they give me a green light to say so.

But I can say its NOT Critical Hit and its NOT Heat of Battle. Kind of narrows the field down a bit.

Hope that helps.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon, I thought this pack was yours but did not see your name attached to any of the material and did not go digging thru years of emails looking for his (yet!) Did not want to assume so asked here as knew would get the correct answer from folks on here.
Let me know if you need any more help on this, even though it has been submitted.
Thanks,
Mark

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon, I thought this pack was yours but did not see your name attached to any of the material and did not go digging thru years of emails looking for his (yet!) Did not want to assume so asked here as knew would get the correct answer from folks on here.
Let me know if you need any more help on this, even though it has been submitted.
Thanks,
Mark
I'm certain as things wind closer, there will be a need for various and sundry finishing touches like proofing the final cards, etc. If/when that occurs, I'll keep your name near the top of the list :).

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Jon. Looking forward to it.
Plan on setting up SSND-1 Tooth and Nail for a solo play tomorrow,and will post pics here and on ASL Facebook page.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Whitchbottles is correct.
I was not a part of this project.
(Wished I was, burt have way too many projects of my own.)