Squadron-Signal Books

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

I never realized Squadron-Signal was still in business. Just ordered off David Doyle's website and got my copy of World War II Jeep in Action. Looks like he's using the Squadron-Signal imprint and even the publisher's address in Carrolton TX is the same on the title page. Ordered the Jeep book and a walk around of the RSO, and he threw in some (high-quality) modelling magazines to boot.

Recommended.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I never realized Squadron-Signal was still in business. Just ordered off David Doyle's website and got my copy of World War II Jeep in Action. Looks like he's using the Squadron-Signal imprint and even the publisher's address in Carrolton TX is the same on the title page. Ordered the Jeep book and a walk around of the RSO, and he threw in some (high-quality) modelling magazines to boot.

Recommended.
Indeed!

Last year I picked up Doyle's Squadron Signal book on the Ontos to use as reference for a model which I am building/improving. Very detailed, with a huge amount of color photographs of the vehicle interior. The RSO book sounds like a 'must buy' for when I finally tackle my old Italeri kit.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have written two books for MMD/Squadron. It appears that the company is exiting the book publishing business so I don't expect to see any more books from them.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm on Doyle's emailing list, I don't see any mention of going out of business, dating back for the last few communications, unless I've missed something?

His last blog entry on his blog was four days ago. It reads:

Two and a half years ago, Denise and I acquired the inventory, website and certain other assets of the Ampersand Group. During the intervening months we integrated the inventory from our former DavidDoyleBooks.com website into this platform, and devoted considerable energy expanding our inventory and developing efficient ways to get books into the hands of our customers. All while I devoted the bulk of my time to my “day” (and much of the night) job of writing books. Denise has worked side by side with me on most of these things, as well as maintaining our household.

All of this left little time for posting to a blog. As Covid wears on, we are unable to travel and do research for new titles, and having worked my way through much of the material we had salted away - while this has slowed my productivity, it has also allowed a smidgen of free time to try my hand at blogging.

To those of you have been supporting our writing efforts, I thank you very much!
Sincerely,
David Doyle

Also, what is "MMD"?

A look at the Squadron website also doesn't mention anything about ceasing publication? Perhaps I'm confused about which company you're referring to - can you clarify?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Appearances can be deceiving. Multi-Man Publishing is still publishing, so why not Squadron/Signal?

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Doyle is definitely still writing, but he is using other publishers like Schiffer.

MMD is Military Model Distributors. It is the name of the company that owns the Squadron brand.

MMD has not publicly announced that they are ceasing to publish books, but you will notice that they have not introduced a new one in a long time.

I'm on Doyle's emailing list, I don't see any mention of going out of business, dating back for the last few communications, unless I've missed something?

His last blog entry on his blog was four days ago. It reads:

Two and a half years ago, Denise and I acquired the inventory, website and certain other assets of the Ampersand Group. During the intervening months we integrated the inventory from our former DavidDoyleBooks.com website into this platform, and devoted considerable energy expanding our inventory and developing efficient ways to get books into the hands of our customers. All while I devoted the bulk of my time to my “day” (and much of the night) job of writing books. Denise has worked side by side with me on most of these things, as well as maintaining our household.

All of this left little time for posting to a blog. As Covid wears on, we are unable to travel and do research for new titles, and having worked my way through much of the material we had salted away - while this has slowed my productivity, it has also allowed a smidgen of free time to try my hand at blogging.

To those of you have been supporting our writing efforts, I thank you very much!
Sincerely,
David Doyle

Also, what is "MMD"?

A look at the Squadron website also doesn't mention anything about ceasing publication? Perhaps I'm confused about which company you're referring to - can you clarify?