Squad Leader vs ASL Starter Kits

sluggo337

Recruit
Reaction score
I started playing SL a long time ago and eventually switched to ASL. But I don't have the time to keep up with the extensive rules and haven't played either in years. I'm thinking about jumping back into it and was wondering if I should go back to SQ or get into the ASL Starter Kits. Looking for opinions.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL is much different form the old SL. Go with the SKs as they will start you on a bare bones version of ASL from which you can easily transition to the full rules of ASL.

After about three or four SK scenarios, my buddy and I moved to an infantry only full ASL scenario without problem.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
ASL is much different form the old SL. Go with the SKs as they will start you on a bare bones version of ASL from which you can easily transition to the full rules of ASL.

After about three or four SK scenarios, my buddy and I moved to an infantry only full ASL scenario without problem.
One problem: he has to play with you :p

Reaction score
In Squad Leader, you play the game.

In ASL, game plays you!

Please ignore the bad Yakov Smirnov impression.

In all seriousness, I would have to agree with Blackcloud, unless of course you already have SL and would have to purchase the SKs. I played pre-ASL for a very long time, and I only recently got the ASL RB, Beyond Valor, etc. It's really not a big adjustment, so long as you go from basic Squad Leader to ASL. By the time you are playing in a Crescendo of Doom or GI: Anvil of Victory environment, you are going to have to "unlearn" a few things that were changed for ASL.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The original Squad Leader and the follow-on gamettes ROCK.

But the Starter Kits do have that Beer & Pretzel thingy that Squad Leader brought ot board gaming.... :clown: