Not open for further replies.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Really..look at the power from earth movers, some of them are massive and diesel powered....
indeed, but that wasn’t my point.

hammers are great, until you need a screwdriver. doesn’t diminish the usefulness of the hammer.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I don’t recall ICEs being very efficient, just never had viable competition until now.
Yeah, I think that's the point isn't it.
Not being efficient, just cheap. If being efficient was important then people wouldn't be talking about how big their fuel tanks were and how many jerry cans they needed to carry.

And that is the case with the Abrams, because efficiency has been abandoned in favour of simply destroying everything else on the battlefield as quickly as possible and let the ordance people take care of delivering the fuel. Meanwhile the Germans are sticking with diesels.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
EVs are a mess. Making one creates more pollution than the average ICE vehicle, anything more than a minor accident is a meltdown, they have recycling issues, there aren't enough recharge stands, and of those that exist only half seem to be operational. Good luck evacuating in a flood, or trying to go anywhere in the winter, or even driving uphill a lot, etc, etc.

However, science and engineering being what they are, these issues will be overcome and in 30 years ICEs will be relegated to specialty applications and hobbyists. It's the way things have always been in a technological world

Status
Not open for further replies.