Squad Leader Licensed by Hasbro

Status
Not open for further replies.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Squad Leader has been licensed along with some other AH games (Diplomacy and Axis and Allies) to Renegade Games.

Squad Leader? Really?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could see it. Imagine it dumbed down a bit with plastic soldiers representing the Squads (remember almost everything was a KIA so very little need for HS/Crews and the like) and perhaps even simplify the IFT; The original SL didn't introduce turreted tanks so there's an easy adaptation as well as using guns with an inherent crew. Turn it into an area move type game as opposed to hex driven one and there's a lot of potential there for a large market of people that desire a simpler game that can be played in a relatively short period of time.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland

Made a thread here yesterday.

Anyways, I guess that either

a) people responsible for comms in RGS were to lazy to cut-out Squad Leader from the Google Search results "AH most successful games", or
b) it's a money grab.

I do have rather negative feelings towards this company - they have the habit of buying licenses for old games and seek for the nostalgia hit to squeeze out as much cash as possible, without knowledge of the game they've bought, or even interest to look at it. They're buying the name, not the game.

Anybody with minimal knowledge of Squad Leader knows that there are two opinions on it:

1. It's perfect game as it is, perhaps with Cross of Iron gamette as an add-on.
  2. It's a game with amazing idea, but not so well implemented, hence ASL.
Those are two contrary opinions, but both of them agree on that it's impossible to do reboot of SL without writing a whole new game from scratch, leaving only name on the box.

They may even be as greedy as to try to "steal" licensing from MMP, if "new" SL is going to be successful game. Or that, if not, they may want to freeze rights to it, so that nobody benefits from SL. Perhaps I'm biased - and I'd wish I'm unfair in my judgement - but this bias didn't come out of nowhere.

I sincerely hope this is just a typo.

Last edited:

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
SL and ASL are two different properties. This should have zero effect on ASL.

I personally have zero interest in whatever dumbed-down, plastic-ridden crap Renegade comes out with.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I would like to see a modernised 21st century take on Squad Leader with all the things that can be brought to bear to make it appealing to a new generation. And then ride along on it's coat tails with the offer of a much deeper game. I'd buy it and turn up once a month at the local game shop to offer games (as long as it doesn't clash with ASL meetings). I wish it/them the very best of success.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see a modernised 21st century take on Squad Leader with all the things that can be brought to bear to make it appealing to a new generation. And then ride along on it's coat tails with the offer of a much deeper game. I'd buy it and turn up once a month at the local game shop to offer games (as long as it doesn't clash with ASL meetings). I wish it/them the very best of success.
It would be my SWAG (only) that they would "dumb it down" for a shot at mass (or at least greater) appeal to a wider range of age groups. From the looks of the other games mentioned, they seem to be "area move" type offerings with the possibility of a lighter rules set that would appeal to a wider range of people [EXC: Axis & Allies as I don't see how they could dumb that down too much more].

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was imagining something on Deluxe size boards with figurines and a simplified fire resolution system (probably integrated with an "app"). And special dice. Definitely special dice.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This is going to take some thought. I know nothing about Renegade or their track record. A straight re- release of SL would seem to be the easiest way to go. The market is probably not there for it and simplifying SL and keeping the flavor of it would be difficult. Interesting.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't expect the final product to resemble the boardgame. I mean, maybe it will, but it's just as likely they are just re-using the name to attach to a whole new thing - likely something collectable or expandable so as to be a money machine.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't expect the final product to resemble the boardgame. I mean, maybe it will, but it's just as likely they are just re-using the name to attach to a whole new thing - likely something collectable or expandable so as to be a money machine.
Doug Pearson's description of ASL was a highly detailed miniatures game converted into a board game. I like that though I never played miniatures.

Would Renegade take a highly detailed board game, which SL was and is, and convert it into a simplified miniatures game? I suppose one could at least hope they capture the flavor of SL and not turn out some WWII version of Feudal.

Btw I loved Feudal. Lots of those Bookcase Games were quite fun. 🤗

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What with Starter kit already being a thing there really doesn't seem to be much need for this but I guess it can only be a good thing, some folks will get a kick out of it and it might even bring others into the ASL fold

All good

Status
Not open for further replies.