Dan Kosko

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
Hi all.
First time here. I recently attended an auction at which a TON of wargaming items was sold. I picked up tons of counters and what appears to be original designed games from probably the estate of a gentleman by the name of Ron Kinlough. He apparently lived and PLAYED in both Akron, Ohio and McKeesport, PA. He apparently did alot of scenario writing for Squad Leader though I'm unsure if it was just at the club level or also commercally. There are about 15-20 trays PACKED full of counters for ASL along with the 4th edition rules for Squad Leader and Crescendo of Doom and a 3rd edition of Cross of Iron. I will eventually be offering these to a good home to ANYONE who is interested but I have a couple of questions before I do. There was a notebook with a lot of scenarios. The first folder started with scenario #1 "A Page of History"and continued thru scenario #16 "Villars". Other scenario folders started with # 309 "Through the Mountains" continuing thru the 400's. Also there is a folder entitled "The Penn State Squad Leader Campaign System" with handwritten notes on the campaign game.

In the box there are also what appears to be a game designed on the Korean war with beautifully hand drawn maps of the Korean peninsula and also a game about the French Chinese war in Laos. Both contain the original typed up rules and scnenario designs on graph paper. Its fascinating stuff as this gentleman was obviously very dedicated and talented. He was also a veteran with extensive training as I found a bunch of certificates in the box from the military.
My questions are:

1) Is anyone familiar with Mr Kinlough?

2) where are the Squad leader scenarios from? A club? They dont look commercial.

3) And eventually is anyone interested in this stuff (for free) that lives in either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh area as I travel to both. There is much too much to ship as there are thousands of counters in those 15-20 trays and a pile of papers about 18" high of those notebooks, scenarios and squad leader manuals.

Anyone that can give information on either Mr Kinlough or the scenarios please reply here. and if interested in the whole lot of material we can continue by e-mail.

Dan K.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Hello Dan,
1) I am not familiar with Mr Kinlough.
2) The scenarios were written by John Cramsie. John was in the process of writing scenarios that covered the war from 1939 through to the last battle in 1945. He was waiting for the Japanese gamette for Squad Leader to be printed (never was produced as Avalon Hill switched from Squad Leader to Advanced Squad Leader in the mid 1980s).
3) I will try to hook you up with a person in the Cleveland area to take custody of the material. If you have pictures that you could post it would be helpful.

With your permission I will cross post this message to a Facebook group in an effort to identify Mr Kinlough.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Dan,
If you send me your email I can forward it to an individual that will be more informed than me and of greater help to your quest.
Randy

sbramley1967

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi Dan,

1) I keep an archive of almost 540 scenarios for Squad Leader and it's three gamettes (Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom and GI Anvil of Victory) and Mr. Kinlough is not among the designers. He may have submitted designs to the Scenario Exchange Program or been part of a group where he was not credited.

2) The scenarios are part of the John Cramsie III collection. Mr. Cramsie offered them in the Avalon Hill General in the early eighties. I had actually never seen them until recently when someone donated his copies to the archive.

3) I would be interested in any new scenarios to add to the archive. You might want to look for stuff from Wild Bill Raiders, On All Fronts magazines, and Scenario Exchange Program, as these are rare and may fetch something on Ebay. If you find any of the scenarios i'm missing, such as WBR's 'Gung Ho, a Test of Courage', 'Troubles Times I & II', or 'Modern Variants', please let me know if you list them on ebay or obtaining a copy is possible.

If you have any more information on the scenarios, I'd be interested in hearing more. Likewise, i am happy to answer any question you may have on them.

Best,

Scott

Dan Kosko

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Randy, Post away. The more the merrier. Would love to get this material to the right people.

Scott, Thx for the info. I'll research this material as you suggested and get back to both of you asap. By the way what and where is that scenario exchange program? Have a link?

Dan

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I knew Ron when I was a student at Cal State (PA) in the 1980-81 time frame. I first met him through a mutual friend named John McArthur in 1979. He was a grad student and about 10 years older than me (maybe 67ish this year). We played a lot of Squad Leader through Crescendo of Doom back then. We also played Panzerblitz and he crushed me in Bulge 65. I lost track of him after 1981.

sbramley1967

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, Thx for the info. I'll research this material as you suggested and get back to both of you asap. By the way what and where is that scenario exchange program? Have a link?Dan
SEP was a scenario design group run by Brian Martuzas back in the early eighties. It produced forty or so scenarios identifiable by the 'SEP' on the card. They were exchanged within the group and at some point 'On All Fronts' published most of them, albeit with some edits and some discrepancies in the numbering. The scenarios were typed or produced with eighties computer technology and xeroxing, the quality of the finished cards was pretty good for the period. OAF SEP Update, OAF Scenario