Wanted Squad Leader Board 1 Variants

Michael Dorosh

First name
Michael

The brown backed board is my venerable board 1 from my very first SL set; the black backed board was a spare I picked up in an auction. What is the significance of the "cut-out"?

I don't mean to suggest it is significant in any gameplay kind of way (the way the migrating wall on Board 42 might) but at some point, the artwork changed - I'm curious if anyone has any info on this.

I do know the original Version 1's shipped with a slightly larger hex grid and had to be "corrected" with unmounted mapsheets included in COI (or available for separate sale via AH). Did the "cut out" happen when going from one size to another?

Are there other variants for the original series maps, other than the differences between black/brown backings?

Any idea on how many print runs of the original SL there were?

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Gold Supporting Member
AHHHH :blab:

How could you do this! - you know how many hours now I am going to spend to find my orginal board 1 - Its in the "very old pile" with the shabby not in good condition "purple box" that was played to death by me in the late 70's and 80's with all those OAF games! :laugh:

Maybee :hush: this is like one of those accidental rare coins that were printed with an error and you have a very expensive board 1 that you can sell back to MMP when they start their Museum of ASL - you superannuation is secure :lier:

PS I love you Designer Guide - Cant put it down at the moment - too much good stuff to read in it!

Rob

Michael Dorosh

First name
Michael
AHHHH :blab:

How could you do this! - you know how many hours now I am going to spend to find my orginal board 1 - Its in the "very old pile" with the shabby not in good condition "purple box" that was played to death by me in the late 70's and 80's with all those OAF games! :laugh:

Maybee :hush: this is like one of those accidental rare coins that were printed with an error and you have a very expensive board 1 that you can sell back to MMP when they start their Museum of ASL - you superannuation is secure :lier:

PS I love you Designer Guide - Cant put it down at the moment - too much good stuff to read in it!

Rob
Glad you're liking the book...I'd hit you up for that original purple box but I finally found one on ebay for my collection. Though if you have a 1st Edition rulebook you're looking to find a good home for...I know a "starving author" who is looking for one... *wink*

Rock SgtDan

First name
Dan
>The brown backed board is my venerable board 1 from my very first SL set; the black backed board was a spare I picked up in an auction. What is the significance of the "cut-out"?

At some point the link to the illustration became bad. So what is this "cut out?" I have never heard of early boards having larger hexes that were corrected either.

Rock SgtDan

First name
Dan
I checked some of my boards (black back) 1-4 and in fact they do not match up with later boards; the hexes must be larger but I can't really measure it with a ruler. What's the correct size of a hex? Nominally 5/8" but I think actually a little more? metric? Measured which way?

Rock SgtDan

First name
Dan
In this forum you say the original board hex grid is too LARGE.

>
I do know the original Version 1's shipped with a slightly larger hex grid and had to be "corrected" with unmounted mapsheets included in COI (or available for separate sale via AH).
>

But here you said it is too SMALL:

http://tacticalwargamer.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=boardgames&action=display&thread=28

>

The originals, with black backings and a slightly too-small hexgrid
Updated boards, with a larger hexgrid
Unmounted updates, released in Cross of Iron
<

??? Which is it ???

Rock SgtDan

First name
Dan
Very interesting...

when I "square up" the halves of 1B1 on a 1st Ed board #1 and a brown backed #1 from Rev 4, the offset on the right of 1P1 (end of the half board) is 4-5 mm. At the board end on 1FF1, its 8 mm. Huge!

I got this #1 as a set of boards 1-4. So presumably they came out of the same box. Looks like #2 and #4 have the same hex size as #1. BUT when I match 2 with 4, #2 is larger than #4 by maybe a couple of mm on the right side of hex P (half board).

Board 3 is definitely larger than #1, but much smaller than #4 and the same as #2 at the half-board mark.

Measure to the full board width depends on how you stretch the hinge.

Wonder if the camera doing the hex overlay was not always completely parallel to the table -- maybe tilted a little on one side or one corner. So the hex grids might have a slight skew from one side to another.

What's the least stressful way to fold boards -- map in or map out?

Very interesting...
So the hex grids might have a slight skew from one side to another.
It could just be a side effect of the printing process. I know when I have had boards done professionally there is always some level of drift that hopefully does not happen, but occasionally does if the printer you are using is careless on large print runs.

I heard that the original plates for the very old boards had to be redone after Hasbro bought the AH line, so not sure if any of that might have some influence. That might explain the slight quality differences in the pictures posted a ways back.