Squad generated from a suspect counter and concealment status

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
HI all,

I have a suspect counter in advance attitude it is 2 hexes from a friendly unit it moves one hex across a wall and into a building adjacent to the friendly unit at which point it rolls for activation resulting in a 4-6-7 squad being generated.

As the unit has only moved one location and not used all it's move allowance and the rules state that a unit activated immediately ends it's movement it has effectively assault moved.

S3.321 states that a suspect counter never uses assault movement, however, this just does not seem right in this circumstance - I am not sure if the revealed unit should be under a concealment counter or not could someone please confirm what the situation is here.

Regards

Simon

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Apply the rule as written.
A revealed S? is quite like a concealment loss.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
HI all,

I have a suspect counter in advance attitude it is 2 hexes from a friendly unit it moves one hex across a wall and into a building adjacent to the friendly unit at which point it rolls for activation resulting in a 4-6-7 squad being generated.

As the unit has only moved one location and not used all it's move allowance and the rules state that a unit activated immediately ends it's movement it has effectively assault moved.

S3.321 states that a suspect counter never uses assault movement, however, this just does not seem right in this circumstance - I am not sure if the revealed unit should be under a concealment counter or not could someone please confirm what the situation is here.

Regards

Simon
If a suspect counter only moves 1 hex before it activates, it's considered assault movement. Once it activates it's no longer a S? counter so the infantry units that are activated from it can assault move. We therefore give it the AM benefit on any defensive fire.

At least that's the way we've been playing.

EDIT - wrong. I was replying during break and didn't double check what I wrote. It is NOT assault movement. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think @Robin Reeve has it right; the S? doesn't use Assault Movement, so it is doing a concealment-loss activity when it is Activated. It's activated by either (a) or (b) of S3.32. There's a clause in (b) that says the units may retain concealment unless performing a concealment-loss activity when Activated, but the S? was non-Assault-Moving in LOS, which causes concealment loss.

@Steed The only reference I can find about AM and S? is S3.321, "Each S? always has 6 MF ... ; ... never uses Assault Movement ...". Once Activated, ENEMY units will use AM in the circumstances you described even if the Move Command doesn't say to AM (S6.221). Did I miss a similar rule for S? movement?

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
I think @Robin Reeve has it right; the S? doesn't use Assault Movement, so it is doing a concealment-loss activity when it is Activated. It's activated by either (a) or (b) of S3.32. There's a clause in (b) that says the units may retain concealment unless performing a concealment-loss activity when Activated, but the S? was non-Assault-Moving in LOS, which causes concealment loss.

@Steed The only reference I can find about AM and S? is S3.321, "Each S? always has 6 MF ... ; ... never uses Assault Movement ...". Once Activated, ENEMY units will use AM in the circumstances you described even if the Move Command doesn't say to AM (S6.221). Did I miss a similar rule for S? movement?

I don't recall if it was in the rules or it's something that I read here on the forum ( quite possibly the last ). It's the way I've been playing it for that last couple of years. I will look in the rules when I get the chance but if you didn't find anything, it's probably something that I read here.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States

I remember - I've been playing this way for a while I just thought it was in the rules. It's not in the rules.

When this situation came up, we talked about it and decided you have to do what's best for the ENEMY. Since it's a one hex move, after he activates he gets the AM benefit on any first fire attacks. But doesn't get concealment.

I apologize for any confusion. Edited my first post.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
We are all continuously learning, Steed.
All is fine.