SPWAW Map Contest

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are officially opening up a SPWAW map contest. The winning map in each category will be used in an upcoming elmination style tournament I am designing for SPWAW (either 8.0 or H2H).

Maps must be submitted to Double Deuce no later than midnight, November 30th, 2003.

Maps can be created in either SPWAW or SPWAWH2H. Maps can be city, jungle, desert, etc and can be historical or non-historical. You can Mountainize, Smoke Machine, and even Mud Machine them using Ectizen's Scenario Designer's Quickies - 2nd Beta. Maps will be categorized by total playing area (total # of hexes). To determine the map size use the following formula (Width * Height = Total Hexes). This total # of hexes determines what category the map will be grouped into.

The 4 categories will be;

SMALL < 4000 total hexes (i.e. 100x40).
MEDIUM < 6000 total hexes (i.e. 100x60).
LARGE < 8000 total hexes (i.e. 100x80).
GIANT > 8000 total hexes (i.e. 100x81+).

A panel of judges will be selected by Double Deuce from WarfareHQ SPWAW Ladder Members who have NOT submitted any maps for the contest. Judging will commence shortly after the submission period ends. Each judge will score every map on a scale of 1-10. The map with the highest average score in each category wins. Maps will be posted to the WarfareHQ Download Section once all judging has been completed for general SPWAW community enjoyment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I may not participate in this contest, but I'd have some questions.

Where one can find Ectizen map tools? All the links I found point to a blank page.

I have been monkeying with the SPWAW map editor a bit, but it doesn't seem to be very user friendly. Anyway, is it possible to have a topo-map in bitmap-format as a backround while drawing a game map on top of it?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sheik Yerbouti said:
Where one can find Ectizen map tools? All the links I found point to a blank page.
Ectizens has gone off line but I have been scrounging up many of the great SPWAW Tools of the past. I will be adding them to the download section on this site as soon as I can get them together and organized.
Sheik Yerbouti said:
I have been monkeying with the SPWAW map editor a bit, but it doesn't seem to be very user friendly. Anyway, is it possible to have a topo-map in bitmap-format as a backround while drawing a game map on top of it?
It does take some getting used too! Unfortunately you cannot load a bmp underneath the Editor as reference. What I usally do is print the map out and draw grid/reference lines on it at 1km intervals. Then I go into the SPWAW Map Editor and add a tree on the map to show where my 1km reference lines (20 hexes in SPWAW) on the printed map cross each other. Then I build it grid section by grid section.

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Double Deuce said:
Ectizens has gone off line but I have been scrounging up many of the great SPWAW Tools of the past. I will be adding them to the download section on this site as soon as I can get them together and organized.
Sounds good. :)

Double Deuce said:
It does take some getting used too! Unfortunately you cannot load a bmp underneath the Editor as reference. What I usally do is print the map out and draw grid/reference lines on it at 1km intervals. Then I go into the SPWAW Map Editor and add a tree on the map to show where my 1km reference lines (20 hexes in SPWAW) on the printed map cross each other. Then I build it grid section by grid section.
My printer is broke, grrrr (lol). If I could switch between SPWAW and paint program of my choice, there wouldn't be any problems...
Btw, I read that SPWW2 has 14 (IIRC) different height levels compared to 3 of SPWAW. Doesn't that make a huge difference, ie. SPWW2 maps could be much more realistic?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sheik Yerbouti said:
Btw, I read that SPWW2 has 14 (IIRC) different height levels compared to 3 of SPWAW. Doesn't that make a huge difference, ie. SPWW2 maps could be much more realistic?
It does give the base game an advantage there BUT with one of Ectizen's Tools "The Mountainizer" you can raise an entire map by 30 metres. By repeatedly raising a map and carving away unwanted hills, you can use this to build mountainous maps. I am not sure if there is a height limit but I am sure there is at some point. It takes some considerable work to make a realistic map. I ran it several times on a map and got to a height of 210 meters (or 21 levels) before I got tired and quit.

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Sheik Yerbouti said:
If I could switch between SPWAW and paint program of my choice, there wouldn't be any problems...
That was a stupid statement, if I ever made one...:rolleyes:

lol

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maps coming in

More maps have been coming in. Keep up the good work guys. I need some maps for an upcoming tournament.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Artur said:
What kind of tournament???!!!???
It will not be a "Combat Campaign" but a regular, elimination style tournament. Maybe 4 scenarios and with 16 players. Still working out the details.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the maps are in. Not as many as I would have liked in some categories but enough to make it interesting.

Now what I need are 2 more judges to rate the maps that were sent in. Any volunteers? I have myself and one other right now. Don't post here but send an email to Double Deuce if you want to be a judge.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Map Contest Update !

Just to let everyone know this is still active. Sorting, grouping and renaming all the maps files so they are close together in the editor for viewing took longer than I thought. I am also removing text files so the judges and myself to some extent will not know who the designer is.

What we have is 24 Maps in the following groups;

x11 = SMALL < 4000 total hexes (i.e. 100x40).
x4 = MEDIUM < 6000 total hexes (i.e. 100x60).
x11 = LARGE < 8000 total hexes (i.e. 100x80).
x8 = GIANT > 8000 total hexes (i.e. 100x81+).

Maps will go out to the judges this weekend. More information will follow soon.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Results are in.

I got the results from the map judging in this weekend. I will be compiling the scores and posting the winners soon.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SPWAW Map Contest Results

The results are in and the winners are:

SMALL Map Flavigny by Fradar.
MEDIUM Map Kodersdorf by Fradar.
LARGE Map Berezeina River by Redleg.
GIANT Map Washington DC by M4 Jess & Tracer.

Just to let everyone know how close the scoring was, I had to the scores from the 3 judges on each map and average them, taking them out 2 decimal points to get the highest scores. Once I do a little more work I will get some screenshots posted and get back to work on the tournament I will build using the 4 winning maps.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Screenshots of the winners posted!

Screenshots of the winning maps have been added to the Steel Panthers Section and can be found by going HERE.