Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bill posted this on FaceBook. I thought it was good advice for anyone thinking about spraying their counters, so I obtained his permission to share it here.

Okay, spraying counter sheets, here’s the process I use.

Always spray outdoors! The recommended spray is, like most sprays, highly odiferous and tends to spread and settle. [EXC: if the weather conditions are not conducive to spraying and you really need to find a proper temperature space, then find as wide open a space as you can. If it’s the dead of winter and you really want to spray, then I’m guessing a heated garage with a wide-open space would be okay.]

Weather conditions:

Ideally you are looking for temperatures in the mid-60’s to mid-80’s.
You want as mild a wind condition as possible. Ideally, no wind at all.
Also, try and avoid high humidity days.
All of the above will directly impact drying rates/absorption rates.

Spray set up:

I first lay out an appropriately sized (large) piece of cardboard on the ground. I then lay out a long piece of wood (1”x1”x4’) that I lean the top edge of the counter sheet against (in order to only have the top edge and bottom edge of the counter sheet touching the cardboard surface.)

Recently, I have found that cutting each counter sheet down the middle so that one ends up with two smaller sheets really helps the process. This is because as one sprays from side-to-side, top-to-bottom on each sheet, it becomes much easier to achieve a more equal amount of spray across the counter sheet.

So, next lay out each counter sheet next to each other with about 6” to 8” between each half sheet.

Spray each half sheet one at a time from side-to-side, top-to-bottom.

I usually end up spraying each side of each counter sheet twice. Always use a light but complete coat when spraying. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes for a sheet to dry sufficiently enough to put on the second coat. Spraying the counter sheets from a “spraying” mechanics perspective is just like spraying anything else from an aerosol can. Light, steady motion, about 12”-18” away. Occasionally, a light third coat may be required based on the absorbency of each individual sheet. Most recently, I found this was necessary to achieve a quality finish on the front side of the CdGv2 ½” type countersheets (for some reason the 5/8” sheets did not need a third coat; go figure).

Spray Product:

I really like a matte finish on my counters. This will definitely remove the semi-glossy finish that is on a counter sheet. Just be aware that the apparent nationality color of the counters on the counter sheet will change slightly.

So, your mileage may vary on desired finish style! As I said above, I prefer a nice matte finish. To get this, I use a Krylon 1311 Aerosol Matte Satin Finish Spray Enamel. I’ve listed the Amazon url for the product, but I usually by my cans from Walmart as it offers the best price in my area:

https://www.amazon.com/KRYLON-DIVERSIFIED-BRANDS-K01311007-Aerosol/dp/B005ENZ8CS

Also, because MMP has used a variety of different printers over the last decade, each spray experience will potentially vary between the different modules and module print runs.

That’s about it. No magic involved.

One thing to be really careful about. Always try and spray counters while they are attached to the counter sheet. If you have individual, lose counters that you want to spray, definitely find some way to anchor them before spraying. The force from the aerosol jet is enough to scatter and worst-case, flip over a just sprayed counter. There is no recovery if a wet side touches another surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of this!

All the best.

Bill

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are mounting turn tracks on your kitchen granite counter top? Interesting concept, but it's going to be a bear to bring to a tournament.

JR
Granite? Not quite...but it is a large solid slab that should make for a far better playing surface than many uneven table tops found at tournaments...not quite sure the wife will be crazy about destroying the kitchen though.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill has the nicest/coolest ‘set up’ I’ve ever played with, approaching perfection. I made earnest not to mess it up.
I agree Bill's maps and counters are most excellent. However, he piles all the informational counters wily nily around the map. For some reason he hasn't achieved any enlightenment in this area. Shoring up this shortfall would allow Bill to rise to the next level of ASL kit-ness...
Steve