spotters

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

have a number of questions regarding spotters for mortars, would appreciate any help that can be given:

1) A spotter is on the roof of an exterior factory directing and 81mm mtr in an interior roofless factory hex. The spotters hex is also a roof access point. In the opponents Defensive fire phase the spotter is targeted and breaks, in the subsequent rout phase it routs down the stairs o the ground level of the factory where there is a commissar. Then in the rally phase the spotter rallies at this point it is still adjacent to the mtr it was originally spotting for the questions is

Section C9.3 states that 'a new spotter cannot be assigned until the movement phase following the spotter loss if it is original spotter is eliminated, broken or captured - in this case as the spotter has rallied and was the original spotter does it have to wait until it's following movement phase to be allocated as the mtr spotter again or does it not loose 'spotter' status and can immediately spot for the mortar as it is still adjacent in the prep fire phase?

2) Can a spotter move during the movement phase and if still adjacent to the mortar it is spotting for then direct the mortar fire in the advance phase - in this instance does the case B To hit apply even though the spotter has moved?

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Simon,

My 2 cents (roughly 1.something p):

1) My take is that the original spotter does not lost spotter status for being broken.
While the rules talk about a "new" spotter, it is not explicit that new spotter needs to
be a different spotter. My common sense says "new" means different.

2) Good question. I don't think this is covered, but I would guess that if the spotter moves,
it would be equivalent to the MTR moving (hence no fire in advancing fire). The Q and A doesn't
seem to have this case addressed. However, note that 9.3 says "spotting is ... the equivalent
of using a SW for purposes of movement curtailment." It says nothing about the converse:
Does movement curtail spotting?

It's worth an email to Perry, imho.

indy

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The way I read the rule (intent) I would treat it as a Case B +3 for firing in the AFPh from a building in this case. Otherwise it would be +2.

The mortar did not actually move so I can't see why it should not be able to fire. The mortar has not entered a new hex so the only other DRM would be for changing CA.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks for the excellent replies must admit we came to the same conclusion as light speed on point 1 but as we are not that experienced needed some confirmation.

regarding point 2 I would have thought that spotted fire takes far longer to direct in and co-ordinate than direct fire, a player turn is just a way to give a time frame where actions can be taken - in prep fire spotted fire places a prep fire counter in the spotter indicating that it is effectively taken the whole time period of the player turn to spot and direct the fire on target. However, in the advanced fire phase (in this example) the unit may have spent a large portion of the ‘time’ move yet still is able to direct the fire effectively I. A much shorter space of time. I assume that the +2/+3 to hit is used to simulate this

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The problems with spotter fire is handled quite well by reducing the ROF of the mortar. To me this covers issues with effective
ly correcting fire onto at target. If the mortar must change CA the ROF is reduced again.

The spotted fire rules is one of the best applications of 'reality' in the ASL system. One or two guys with a field phone and forty metres of wire would be almost impossible to spot on a battlefield of the size represented by the typical ASL map. A mortar tucked away in woods or behind building would be even harder to locate without a direct LOS. Spotters not losing ?/HIP (not being marked) for directing the fire makes perfect sense.

I think some players may have issues with the rule because it removes their omnipotence over the game map.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problems with spotter fire is handled quite well by reducing the ROF of the mortar. To me this covers issues with effective
ly correcting fire onto at target. If the mortar must change CA the ROF is reduced again.

The spotted fire rules is one of the best applications of 'reality' in the ASL system. One or two guys with a field phone and forty metres of wire would be almost impossible to spot on a battlefield of the size represented by the typical ASL map. A mortar tucked away in woods or behind building would be even harder to locate without a direct LOS. Spotters not losing ?/HIP (not being marked) for directing the fire makes perfect sense.

I think some players may have issues with the rule because it removes their omnipotence over the game map.
EX: If 76-82mm, then it retains its original ROF (C2.5).