Spotters and Opportunity Fire

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Fully agree..

Not marking the spotter and only the mtr create new questions not resolved by the rules .. May move the spotter to change position?.. Is penalized the spotted adv Fire shot?

It looks ASLRB has the right answer.. no exception for spotters. At least the simplest one
You may not move and Spot, the rule clearly states this.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
D has:
  • It
  • Its PRC
  • its manning Infantry
designated as an Opportunity Firer.

The Spotter fulfills the It. I am waiting to hear if it is designated an Opportunity Firer.
Correct, however, the MTR is the unit that is using a FIRE ATTACK A 7. As Spotting is listed in "any other action" instead of in Case B "...fires or directs fire, …." obviously the spotter isn't firing or his EXC would be in this section. Instead since the SPOTTER isn't firing, he gets placed into "any other action" Case C.

And he is considered to be using a SW for "MOVEMENT and IFP loss restrictions" only it is NOT a fire attack. Opp fire is a Fire attack...you simply mark the spotter to designate that a spotter is being used and the appropriate restrictions apply.

If the unit also has a SW he WISHES to FIRE, ie. use the A7 rule section, then his concealment loss is governed by either Case B or D as appropriate...its straightforward.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Correct, however, the MTR is the unit that is using a FIRE ATTACK A 7. As Spotting is listed in "any other action" instead of in Case B "...fires or directs fire, …." obviously the spotter isn't firing or his EXC would be in this section. Instead since the SPOTTER isn't firing, he gets placed into "any other action" Case C.

And he is considered to be using a SW for "MOVEMENT and IFP loss restrictions" only it is NOT a fire attack. Opp fire is a Fire attack...you simply mark the spotter to designate that a spotter is being used and the appropriate restrictions apply.

If the unit also has a SW he WISHES to FIRE, ie. use the A7 rule section, then his concealment loss is governed by either Case B or D as appropriate...its straightforward.
Yes. It is along those lines that I believe the Spotter keeps concealment. Hoping Perry agrees.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Q: When a Mortar is marked for Opportunity Fire, is its Spotter also considered to be an Opportunity Firer and thus lose Concealment as well (concealment chart case D)? Or is it considered to just be Spotting (case C) and simply marked with the Opportunity Fire counter?

A:
Mark the spotter with an Opportunity Fire counter but it does not lose “?” unless it might want to do something In the AFPh other than Spot.

....Perry
MMP

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q: When a Mortar is marked for Opportunity Fire, is its Spotter also considered to be an Opportunity Firer and thus lose Concealment as well (concealment chart case D)? Or is it considered to just be Spotting (case C) and simply marked with the Opportunity Fire counter?

A:
Mark the spotter with an Opportunity Fire counter but it does not lose “?” unless it might want to do something In the AFPh other than Spot.

....Perry
MMP
What? So it is marked opportunity fire but isnt committed to spotting? What does the opp fire counter signify?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What if it doesn't want to do something in the AFPh when marked, but later changes its mind? Can it fire at half FP as if not marked? Is it totally unable to fire?

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I would read the consequences as that if marked with an Opp Fire and is still concealed then it can only spot. If you want to do something else in addition to spotting (usual SW usage limits apply) in the AFPh then you must drop concealment. when placing the Opp Fire.

Opportunity Fire is not just a quick squirt in the AFPh, it's the sum of all activities from the PFPh onwards, there could be some activity, including firing, during any or all of the PFPh, MPh and AFPh. That's why you can't move when Opp Fire marked.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
What if it doesn't want to do something in the AFPh when marked, but later changes its mind? Can it fire at half FP as if not marked? Is it totally unable to fire?
Presumably not since in order to fire in AFPh you must have lost Concealment in the PFPh when the Opp Fire is placed (i.e. declared an Opportunity Firer).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Presumably not since in order to fire in AFPh you must have lost Concealment in the PFPh when the Opp Fire is placed (i.e. declared an Opportunity Firer).
One of the more minor conundrums of ASL rules, but I agree, the answer leaves as many questions as it answers and I would be inclined to agree with your assessment.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

JR
You are either deciding in the PREP fire phase to use your weapons in the ADV fire phase, if your targets are no longer there...then that's just the chance you take.

I thought it was pretty straightforward. What you are suggesting is similar to PREP firing a unit, having its LOS or some other stuff happen to screw up the shot and then not wanting to take the shot....
You are DECLARING you are firing and everything that it entails.