Spotter question

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

I have never used spotters before so please excuse my ignorance....

Per C9.3 ".... Spotting is considered the equivalent of using a SW for purposes of movement curtailment and inherent FP loss; the Spotter must be predesignated by the owning player during his PFPh/DFPh and marked with an appropriate fire counter for having used a SW during that phase...."

If you have a HIP spotter spotting for a HIP mtr do you still place the appropriate fire counter onboard? Per Table A12.121 case C spotting is not a concealment loss activity. I would assume therefore that no fire counter is placed onboard (but maybe one is placed offboard on the HIP counter (or noted)??).

If all this seems obvious the reason I ask is because I found the following Perry Sez:

"A7.25, A12.14, & C9.3
When a Mortar is marked for Opportunity Fire, is its Spotter also considered to be an Opportunity Firer and thus lose Concealment
as well (concealment chart case D)? Or is it considered to just be Spotting (case C) and simply marked with the Opportunity Fire
counter?
A. Mark the spotter with an Opportunity Fire counter but it does not lose “?” unless it might want to do something In the AFPh
other than Spot."

If a fire counter is placed onboard on a HIP unit that will pretty give up the goose on where that spotter is even if he remains HIP. The he dies shortly thereafter LOL....

Thanks to all replies...

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A hidden/concealed OBA observer is not marked on-board with a fire counter, C1.6, but there's nothing similar for spotters. Nevertheless, I think @Vinnie has the right answer.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I don‘t ‘t think in this case Vinnie is right. The rulebook specifies that using a spotter is the equivalent of using a SW, so the HIP spotter would lose concealment:
C9.3 “…the Spotter must be predesignated by the owning player during his PFPh/DFPh and marked with an appropriate fire counter for having used a SW during that phase. If the Spotter is hidden, it must be recorded as a Spotter. As long as…“

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rulebook specifies that using a spotter is the equivalent of using a SW
Please read the rest of the sentence:
"...for purposes of movement curtailment and inherent FP loss;". It's not for all purposes, just those.

There's also a PerrySez in Klas' compilation that supports the spotter not losing cocnealment.
A7.25, A12.14, & C9.3
When a Mortar is marked for Opportunity Fire, is its Spotter also considered to be an Opportunity Firer and thus lose Concealment as well (concealment chart case D)? Or is it considered to just be Spotting (case C) and simply marked with the Opportunity Fire counter?
A. Mark the spotter with an Opportunity Fire counter but it does not lose “?” unless it might want to do something In the AFPh other than Spot.

So the HIP spotter is marked with a fire counter, but since the spotter counter is offboard, that's where it's marked.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Please read the rest of the sentence:
"...for purposes of movement curtailment and inherent FP loss;". It's not for all purposes, just those.

There's also a PerrySez in Klas' compilation that supports the spotter not losing cocnealment.
A7.25, A12.14, & C9.3
When a Mortar is marked for Opportunity Fire, is its Spotter also considered to be an Opportunity Firer and thus lose Concealment as well (concealment chart case D)? Or is it considered to just be Spotting (case C) and simply marked with the Opportunity Fire counter?
A. Mark the spotter with an Opportunity Fire counter but it does not lose “?” unless it might want to do something In the AFPh other than Spot.

So the HIP spotter is marked with a fire counter, but since the spotter counter is offboard, that's where it's marked.
After rereading the rules and Q&A, I think you are right. Sorry if I have messed up things