Spotted Mortars

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, if one spotter is next to a hex with several mortars, said spotter can direct all of them as long as they all fire at the same hex (C9.31). But how about if the first one gets rate and decides to shoot at a second hex. Does this mean that the other mortars cannot be spotted, or can the other mortars continue to fire at the final target of the first mortar?

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul, I would think that if the first mortar, whose turn it still is, chooses a new target it may do so with or without the spotter’s assistance (assuming LOS, of course). If you want the remaining mortars to fire at the original target with spotter assistance, then the first mortar will fire at its new target without spotter assistance (assuming LOS, of course).

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe C9.3 does address that situation if I understand your question, "As long as the Spotter remains in Good Order, the adjacent mortar(s) may fire on any target in the Spotter's LOS." Therefore if a mortar(s) retains ROF and wish to fire on another target any one of them (or all of them that retained ROF) may fire on the 2nd target using the observer as long as they all fire on the same target.