Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight

hueglin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Looking through the game data for weapons I noticed that The Falklands War is the only game to use the Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight - but it uses it for weapons that appear in other games also.

Does anyone know how this attribute affects the game play?

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Looking through the game data for weapons I noticed that The Falklands War is the only game to use the Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight - but it uses it for weapons that appear in other games also.

Does anyone know how this attribute affects the game play?
Sorry but it would help is you could specify weapons concerned.

hueglin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the database for The Falklands War every single weapon has a Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight, which gives the m/s and round length. Other than the obvious inference that the game engine calculates how long it take,s in second,s for the round to hit its target - I am wondering if the engine uses this information for any other effects (e.g. hit probability - probably not as ATGMs have a low velocity but high accuracy)?

It just seems strange that this attribute is only used in the one game.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I see what you mean but for some weapons it could just be a meaningless addition of data with nominal effect.
I would suggest you contact:
Gary Bezant - author of TFW

or, Patrick Proctor re the real need for this to be added to some weapons.

The reply will be useful for future design of databases.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This data entry was added in anticipation of a revision to the ATF/AATF engine that never materialized. The engine does not use it.

The time of flight for indirect fire, however, IS used.

hueglin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This data entry was added in anticipation of a revision to the ATF/AATF engine that never materialized. The engine does not use it.

The time of flight for indirect fire, however, IS used.
Thanks for the quick reply. As a matter of curiosity, what was it going to model in the game - just literally the time it takes the round to reach the target, or was there a plan to factor it into accuracy?

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I toyed with a more fluid model, with many fewer units and more cycles per second, that would have allowed me to model the actual flight of projectiles. In the end, I decided on a battalion-level sim, which could not achieve this number of cycles per second.